PDA

View Full Version : Nozzle clogged with Silicon

Nic0
30th August 2004, 02:08 AM
Instead of trying to dig the hardened silicon out the nozzile with a screw driver take the nozzle off and blow the silicon out with compressed air.

Laundry powder is good for removing silicon from your hands.

Bauerbird
30th August 2004, 02:35 AM
So is turps. Also a finger dipped in turps is great for smoothing out the silicon.

Cheers

gemi_babe
30th August 2004, 11:42 PM
Thats a great tip if you have an air compressor :rolleyes:

I will keep on digging it out with some instrument :p

I didn't think you were allowed to get it on your skin. Thought it burns?

RETIRED
30th August 2004, 11:54 PM
I didn't think you were allowed to get it on your skin. Thought it burns?

Nope.

vsquizz
31st August 2004, 12:08 AM
Its best kept on the outside of your body though:D :D :D

(Sorry , couldn't help myself)

So how come I didn't know about the pinkie in the turps trick before I put up the Hardi-Glaze panels in the bathroom:(

Cheers

outback
31st August 2004, 07:56 AM
Not so sure everyone would agree with you on that squizz.

BigPop
31st August 2004, 10:40 AM
The good ol' blob of spit on the finger works just as well and wouldn't worry about burns from the turps. (But then again depending on which turps is being referred to - some people 'get on the turps' all the time :):))

simon c
31st August 2004, 11:22 AM
The difference between water and turps on the finger is that silicone is soluble in turps and not water, so it depends what you are trying to do. Turps is good for smoothing off the finish but water is good for shaping.

Simon

Fat Pat
28th October 2004, 06:36 PM
remember folks.....turps for burps!

scooter
31st October 2004, 06:52 PM
Apparently using spit when smoothing silicon can lead to mould growing under/on the cured silicon joint.

Cheers.......Sean

Jon
1st November 2004, 01:32 PM
um, doesn't it depend on what type of 'silicon' you are using. Some recommend a turps clean up and some a water clean up.

Jon

Sturdee
1st November 2004, 07:44 PM
Instead of trying to dig the hardened silicon out of the nozzle with a screw driver take the nozzle off and ........................

..............screw on a new one. :D

I have a couple of icecream containers of them. Collected over the years by always getting a nozzle with every cartridge and reusing the nozzle untill it is hard.

Peter.

GCP310
5th November 2004, 11:43 AM
I thought the cartridges sold at bunnies came with extra nozzels, one on the cartridge, 2 in the pocket............. :D

G

[just kidding .............]

scooter
5th November 2004, 02:47 PM
For those interested, I have seen a product for removing silicon in Bunnings. It is a Selleys product (read "dear") and my scant memory of the destructions read similar to paint stripper, ie. apply plenty of the product & leave for a while.

Anyway, sounded of limited use but could be the go for someone out there.

Cheers.....Sean

TheDad
9th November 2004, 09:24 PM
my glazier mate says, just squeeze out a bit more and leave ablob on the nozzle and when you use it next time just break it off ( a little "plug" will come out)

Iain
14th November 2004, 12:15 PM
Tried the compressor yesterday, it work but goes off with a hell of a bang and looked like a big splat of bird $hit on the shed wall.(No more gaps, I'm not perfect but don't tell SWMBO).

scooter
14th November 2004, 10:22 PM
Where's the neighbours moggy when you need it, eh ?

What a catastrophe.

Cheers.....Sean

Nic0
17th November 2004, 08:33 PM
Tried the compressor yesterday, it work but goes off with a hell of a bang and looked like a big splat of bird $hit on the shed wall.(No more gaps, I'm not perfect but don't tell SWMBO).

I only use a low pressure, but that gives me a great idea for an air gun.

Billy Bignutz
17th February 2005, 11:42 PM
A great way to slow down cartridges of silicone from going off (and cans of glue, paint, etc etc) is to chuck it in the beer fridge. Usually it will last overnight or even longer without even going off enough to plug the cartridge. You will never forget either as it is the last place you visit at the end of the day!!

A boiler maker from NQ gave me this idea and I have used it for 2 years with great success to date ie no throw away cartridges yet.

barnsey
18th February 2005, 12:30 PM
G'day Billy Bignutz,

Welcome to the forum neighbour :D

I'll be around with my cartridges shortly ;)

They probably haven't told you on here yet but any mention of beer fridges on the forum must be scrutinsed (read sampled) by an existing member for temperature and capacity :eek: :D :D

Jamie

goat
18th February 2005, 02:22 PM
i just use a roofing screw in the nozzle it helps to seal the nozzle from the air that cures the silicon any plug that does form gets pulled out when you remove the screw

outback
18th February 2005, 07:50 PM
A great way to slow down cartridges of silicone from going off (and cans of glue, paint, etc etc) is to chuck it in the beer fridge...............
SACRILIDGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

1. We never let silicone near us to contaminate any finish we may use.

2. We never ever ever let anything contaminate our beer fridge.

I know your new, stick around listen to the "old" hands, they'll have heading in the right direction in no time.

Billy Bignutz
25th February 2005, 11:27 AM
My beer priorities:
1) cold beer (my beer fridge holds 2+ slabs easily)
2) time to drink it!. I will sacrifice some beer space for adhesives, silicone, vet supplies etc if it saves me from having to drive 2 hours to town to replace a 'solid' cartridge when I could have been enjoying a cold one instead. Besides, you young blokes may be able to knock off 2 slabs in one go but I certainly can't after a day on the farm.
Happy drinking

savage
10th September 2005, 11:52 PM
G'Day all,
New here, and hope to become a welcome (face), just a little info I've picked up through owning a caravan (always had a tube of silicon for leaks), methelayted spirits will clean and also "kill" silicon i.e. wash hands, stings a bit on cuts but won't kill you unless you happen to be having a smoke at the time. For smoothing out try glass cleaner, just had a glass splash-back put in kitchen and watched the glass guy and asked a lot of questions and got a few tips in return for a coffee.
savage.

Waldo
27th October 2005, 04:54 PM
G'day,

The simplest thing to do is when you're finished is to put a nail up the nozzle of your silicone or whatever.

Sorry Goat, I didn't see your post.

Ashore
27th October 2005, 06:12 PM
To seal the silicon nozzle stick a wad of blue tac on the end , keeps for months
and comes off easy without damaging the nozzle

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Ashore

Billy Bignutz
27th October 2005, 07:28 PM
G'day,

The simplest thing to do is when you're finished is to put a nail up the nozzle of your silicone or whatever.

Waldo
Problem is in the warmth and humidity silicone will still always go off over a few months (at least in the tip) with the proverbial nail in the tip - believe me I would not be putting it in the beer fridge otherwise.

Blue tack sound an interesting combination - beer fridge with blue tack on the tip!!

doug the slug
27th October 2005, 08:50 PM

well he did post it about 8 months ago, Waldohttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

dean4
3rd November 2005, 08:58 AM
I just put a screw on the end. Always seems fine when I need to use it.

dean