PDA

View Full Version : Fixing timber to limestone

spencer411
18th January 2010, 09:16 PM
hi guys i know this is more of a reno related question but i was wondering if anyone could advise me to the best way to fix timber to limestone. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks peeps.

spencer

Malcolm Eaton
20th January 2010, 10:38 AM
hi guys i know this is more of a reno related question but i was wondering if anyone could advise me to the best way to fix timber to limestone. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks peeps.

spencer

The best method I have found is to cast in Galvanized bolts into the Limestone.
The method I use is to use a cup head bolt say no less 3" x3/8diam ( depending on the thichness of the material you are fixing) with a oversize washer to increase the bearing surface, drill a hole slightly larger than the bolt head & washer combined, widening the bottom of the hole like a dovetail. Clean out the hole of all dust dampen the inside with a little water( not to much), and positioning the bolt in the hole and than ramming in a cement mortar mix of about 3:1( not to wet), packing it as dense as you can and allowing it to set. In a couple of hours it should be ready but I would give it to the next day before loading any weight.
If you use blue metal dust instead of sand in the mortar mix it makes it very dense.
I have fixed a number of shelves etc in my garage and it has nether failed.

Cheers
Mac:2tsup:

GraemeCook
20th January 2010, 11:04 AM

thanks peeps.

spencer

Galvanised or stainless masonry bolts are quick and easy.

Cheers

Graeme

woodie2
20th January 2010, 10:30 PM
The best way is to drill a large hole (30mm) and insert a piece of timber about 100mm long and wedge the wood into the hole. Usually you can buy the timer to wedge into the hole. This timer is about 30mm wide and about a metre long (Like 1 metre lenths of dowel). The tmber is hexagonal and you shape it to a rough point. This is then inserted into the hole you have drilled into the limestone. You insert the bits of wood, where you want to nail your wood to. Once you have placed the hexagonal wood in place, to can nail your bits of wood into the hexagonal piece of wood.

Where I live most of the houses are built using limestone and I have renovated lots of houses ans installed new woodwork this way. All the builders here use the same method to attach wood to limestone.

If you want a picture of the hexagonal bit of wood PM me and I can send you a picture.

stonemason
21st January 2010, 08:45 AM
We always use stainless threaded rod or copper wire as anything else will eventually react with the stone . Megapoxy pm is the best to use on anchors as has a longer curing time of 24 hours but goes hard in 1. the best part about mega is that it sticks not just holds like mortar.dowel the timber with threaded rod and epoxy them in then drill stone, hole a little larger than dowel stuff epoxy in hole.