PDA

View Full Version : Oregon/Douglas Fir

rob540
20th January 2010, 02:55 PM
Had a bit of a shock to find that Oregon was not stocked by most merchants now, and I've noticed a few people on the forum looking for suitable substitutes in Australia. A bit of homework has found that one of my local firms continues to provide oregon cut to your specs. from flitches, with experience in serving the local boating fleet and wooden boat 'junkies'.

They prefer if you go in to select your own pieces, but I'm sure they will send interstate as well. They have lengths up to 11 metres I think.
Barwon Timber:
http://www.barwontimber.com.au/timber.
If phoning, ask for Corey, who seems to handle the nautical types.

(I have no financial interest in them, just thought some might need a source.)
Rob

Boatmik
21st January 2010, 10:59 AM
Great resource!

Rick_Tatum
1st February 2010, 09:01 AM
One of the pleasures of living in its native range is that we are awash in it. With the downturn in construction, price is pretty decent too.

rob540
1st February 2010, 09:43 AM
Rick I've heard that large areas of forest have been struck by disease from bugs that used to be killed off by a harsh winter (maybe what I recall applies particularly to Alaska). I often wondered whether the timber from these dying trees is harvestable and stock-piled, or wasted??
Similarly, I often wonder about the trees burnt in California wildfires. I believe that in Australia, dead pines soon loose their value if left standing. If the rot doesn't get them the wasps and insects seem to.

Rick_Tatum
2nd February 2010, 02:55 PM
Rick I've heard that large areas of forest have been struck by disease from bugs that used to be killed off by a harsh winter (maybe what I recall applies particularly to Alaska). I often wondered whether the timber from these dying trees is harvestable and stock-piled, or wasted??
Similarly, I often wonder about the trees burnt in California wildfires. I believe that in Australia, dead pines soon loose their value if left standing. If the rot doesn't get them the wasps and insects seem to.

In British Columbia and Southeast Alaska the engraver beetle has killed large stands of trees. Burnt over areas are routinely salvage logged. As long as the timber remains standing, fire killed trees will last quite a while. If a big saw log is laying on the wet ground, it won't last long. Also, the huge fires here in CA are more common in Southern California, where little commercial logging occurs. When even a huge fire burns over timberland, it represents a very small percentage of the available timberlands, and impact on harvest is pretty much nil.

ETA: In my observation, beetle killed trees are inferior. They seem to rot quicker from fungus, maybe introduced by the bugs.

b.o.a.t.
4th February 2010, 11:19 PM
I believe that in Australia, dead pines soon loose their value if left
standing. If the rot doesn't get them the wasps and insects seem to.

Yep. Our two main plantation species - pinus radiata (Monterey Pine) & pinus elliotii
(Florida or Yellow Pine) have very poor durability once deceased. After a fire in a
mature plantation, there is a Big Rush to harvest the timber. I'm told that what can't
be immediately processed can be kept for several months in water. A couple of lakes
around Cantberra were used this way after the 2005 fires.
cheers
AJ