PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 30 AUG 04

Ralph Jones
30th August 2004, 09:59 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Ever wish you had a frame or platform you could lay sheet goods on while you are cutting pieces with your circular saw and when finished, just put it away?

How would you go about making a KD frame that would work for you?

Respectfully,

P.S. When something is clear as mud, means that it is not clear at all and one could get pretty darned lost in it. As far as the other I won't touch that one with a ten foot pole.

bitingmidge
30th August 2004, 10:15 PM
I'd do something like this!

Cheers,

P
:D

Barry_White
30th August 2004, 10:36 PM
I would do something like this.

Or go to here.
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030815sn.html

ozwinner
31st August 2004, 07:49 PM
Hey Midge.

I hope Mum knows you nicked her kitchen table? :eek:

Al :D

Ralph Jones
31st August 2004, 09:43 PM
Good Morning Friends,
Biting midge, you have the exact one that is printed in the Wood Magazine and also the one that the quiz was about.

Congratulations.

Respectfully,

bitingmidge
31st August 2004, 09:55 PM
Good Morning Friends,
Biting midge, you have the exact one that is printed in the Wood Magazine and also the one that the quiz was about.

Congratulations.

Respectfully,

Ralph,

It's one of the handiest gadgets I own. Of course it's also one of the only projects I've ever completed ;) so there aren't many to choose from!!

Works a treat supporting sheet goods, but also as a cut-off table and a trillion other things, and Oz is right..with a few ply offcuts and a plastic table cloth, no-one can tell!!

Cheers,

P

Cliff Rogers
31st August 2004, 10:04 PM
G'day.

I think I read that same mag & went out & sketched it on the back
of one of my wife's note pads. :eek:

If you think my drawing is bad, you should see the other side of the
page I drew it on. :D

Kris.Parker1
1st September 2004, 05:26 PM
Isn't that what kids are for?

Sturdee
4th September 2004, 07:29 PM
Midge,

Can you give some more details, sizes and dimensions etc, and other suggestions on this layout table as I am about to build one myself.

Peter.

MarkV
4th September 2004, 08:24 PM
yeah Midge me too!:D

bitingmidge
5th September 2004, 08:27 AM
Sturdee, MarkV

The details of my table are below, but also check out the Fine WoodWorking Article - A circular saw in the cabinet shop (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00035.asp) which has an almost identical table in it. After reading that article I built my straight edges and had a life changing experience!! :D

Overall dimension is 2200 x 930 and weight is 13kg. The light weight is a big advantage in moving it around, and even though the structure is improbably light, the top has about a 6mm sag in it after a LOT of heavy work and abuse. Keeping the length at 2200 means it can be stored on end in room with a normal ceiling height, and will carry a 2400 x 1200 sheet of anything with minimal overhang.

Using it is dead simple, particularly cutting sheet material or docking anything. Set the saw to a few mm thicker than the material and cut through the top. The sacrificial structure will last for years!

The only change I would make if I was to rebuild it (which I won't until it falls apart) is that I would mount the legs on two 90 x45 stringers (laid flat) for the full length of the underside. This would take most of the flex out of it.

My table features legs from Bunnies (about $20 and the only bit that I paid for).

The timber pieces are 45 x 45's cut from warped or damaged pine studs scrounged from building sites. The cross pieces are at 300 centres.

Assembly was dead easy, I used liquid nails in all the joints because it sort of kept stuff together while I screwed in a couple of gyprock screws.

Lay it out upside down on a flat piece of floor and brace it against a wall as you screw. This will ensure that the table top is in one plane as you screw it together.

Hopefully between the article above and the pics attached you'll have enough info...if not get back to me!

Pics show:

1) Sophisticated joinery techniques employed :D. Note saw cuts typical of the whole top!

2) Top view. I apologise for the contrast in the photo..will try harder in future, but it tells the story.

3) Bottom view of the fixing of the legs. Just a couple of bits of scrap and screws.

Cheers,

P :D

Shane Watson
5th September 2004, 09:11 AM
hey, whats doing? no smart answers! ;) :D ;) :D Poor Ralph will start thinking us Aussies actually do know something!

Cause I travel round the country for work I have to live with just using saw horse's to cut, not only sheet goods, but also sections of shop fittings which happen to have the dimensions of 2400x1200x250. This would certainly make life a little easier (read that as a lot easier ;) ) but can't fit everything on the truck unfortunatly...

Sturdee
5th September 2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply Midge.

I was going to use a couple foldup sawhorses that I have already got for the legs and attach some wheels so that when upright I can easily wheel it away.

When finished I'll post some photos.

Peter.

bitingmidge
5th September 2004, 06:30 PM
:D ;) :D Poor Ralph will start thinking us Aussies actually do know something!

I doubt that, he's seen the quality of response on every other question!!

I guess when the moon is low, we actually fluke one??

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Hey Shane, maybe you could make one that folded into four pieces to travel with? Or even into an airport carry-on bag? :D

Shane Watson
5th September 2004, 06:57 PM
Hey Shane, maybe you could make one that folded into four pieces to travel with? Or even into an airport carry-on bag? :D

Don't laugh, its been done before...Mind you nowadays, they don't appreciate the likes of drills and hammers etc in your carry on bag.... :eek:
Except one lovely secruity lady asked if I had tools in my luggage and I said yeah of course, who dosn't Der.... and all she was concerned about was wheather the batteries were plugged in or not.