PDA

View Full Version : English oak lounge suite, finished at last!

jane123
22nd January 2010, 12:34 PM
The English oak lounge suite that I sought advice about some months ago is now complete. A huge job but I learnt a lot and thank all Forum members who provided me with advice. If I can do the same for others I would be happy to do so. Btw I stripped the old upholstery (20 billion staples and tacks), stripped the nitrocellulose finish, repaired including replacing rattan insert across the back of the three seater and on one of the one seaters, sanded up to 1200 grit, sanding sealer with U Beaut white unwaxed shellac, 4 coats of the same (higher concentration), waxed with 0000 steel wool and dark brown wax, webbed, sprung, stuffed, fabricated the cushions (old sprung cushions long gone), and finally, covered. Phew! I think it was worth it.I have photos ready to post but I am unsure how to do so. Have tried to upload but I think they are too big and I don't know how to reduce them. Thanks again to everyone, Jane.:doh:

jane123
22nd January 2010, 12:59 PM
Aha, I did it! Photos of the lounge suite to accompany my previous posting. Jane:U

flynnsart
22nd January 2010, 09:07 PM
Nice job, it would have been an interesting project to do.

Donna

jane123
23rd January 2010, 04:47 PM
Thank you, Donna. It was a lot bigger job than I thought...or perhaps it is truer to say that I didn't think. Maybe if I had....????
Jane

Waldo
23rd January 2010, 05:20 PM
Looks fantastic. That has to give you a huge amount of satisfaction every time you sit it. :2tsup:

jane123
23rd January 2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks Waldo, I'll never know. No one is allowed to sit on it, :D Jane.

Waldo
23rd January 2010, 09:44 PM
Chairs that you can never sit on. Hope there's other chairs somewhere in the lounge. :U

herplove
26th January 2010, 09:04 AM
Looks great!!!! Very impressive, but I could see it would have been a hell of a job. Fantastic outcome! Well done! Jen

munruben
27th January 2010, 01:24 PM
Excellent, you must be very happy with the results. Well done.:2tsup:

fletty
30th January 2010, 09:45 PM
Lovely job Jane, you should be very proud of what you have achieved. The problem for me is that I have an almost identical setting that is VERY dark and I now know how good it would look lighter ........
fletty

jane123
31st January 2010, 12:56 AM
Thank you all for your kind remarks. It is very gratifying to hear such comments after a good few months of work. I think also, that it is very satisfying to do such work. There is nothing quite like the craftmanship of yesteryear. Also, nothing quite like beautiful timber brought back to life. Thank you all again for noticing and taking the time to comment. Jane

burraboy
31st January 2010, 08:43 PM
Lovely job! Nice choice on the material too! :2tsup: