PDA

View Full Version : turning video

Gordy Gonyo
16th June 2000, 12:14 PM
I am just starting turning and I am not doing too well with the use of the tools. I would like to know if anyone has seen a video that may give me some guidence. Thank You for any advice - Gordy.

RETIRED
16th June 2000, 01:41 PM
Gooday.

Richard Raffan has a video out that is crosslinked to his book, "Turning Wood", I think it is called.

Have you considered joining a club in your area? It is the best way of finding things out. Woodies love to share.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

ubeaut
16th June 2000, 08:25 PM
G'day Gordy

Richard Raffan now has a couple of videos so does Mike Darlow and there are a number of other excellent ones produced by Taunton Press (Fine Woodworker) who produce the Raffan ones. Most should be available through your local library. Give them a try. If they don't have them tell them to get them in.

They are definately in the library system.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Al
18th June 2000, 12:25 PM
I second the Mike Darlow videos, I picked them up in my local library and they really got me hooked.
Not your average 50 minutes and it's all over job either, 3 hrs for one video and 2 hrs for another, excellent instruction in my opinion.
Joining a club can be good though I've seen many bad work practices in use, beware.

Slav Bojczuk
19th June 2000, 07:31 PM
The Videos by Raffan are very good, but he opretes very quickly and at times he is difficult to follow. I have also looked at "Artistic Wood Turning" by Bart Redpath and have that very helpfull.
I think joining a club is a great idea, but I suggest you go to as many woodturning shows, exhibitions etc as you can. There you will meet many people who will be more point you in the right direction.

Gordy Gonyo
22nd June 2000, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have tried to find the Mike Darlow videos to no avail. I want to buy one because when and if I get the hang of this thing I will be passing it along to some younger people. Safety is my biggest concern. I will be greatful if anyone can tell me which video will be the best for a starter, and where I might get it. Thanks for all the wisdom to a struggling rookie. Until next time - Gordo.

Jim Carroll
23rd June 2000, 12:46 AM
Gordy I can Help you with the tapes. There is three in the set at $60 each or $160 for the set.
Tape 1 covers Equipement, Theory,Safety, Spindle Turning 1.
Tape 2 covers Spindle Turning 2,Cup chuck Turning.
Tape 3 covers Faceplate and Bowl Turning.
Each tape flows on from one to another so the set is the better way to go.
These tapes and his books are available from Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies [email protected]

------------------
Jim
Turn it up

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 23 June 2000).]

Gordy Gonyo
23rd June 2000, 01:00 PM
Thanks Jim, and eveyone for the help. I assure you it is appreciated. Take care - Gordo.

John Saxton
27th June 2000, 07:39 PM
GORDY, MAY I SUGGEST YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY FOR A SOURCE OF VIDEOS INSTEAD OF HAVING TO GO TO AN EXPENSE OF BUYING.I HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE A RICH SOURCE OF INFORMATIVE AND INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO'S AND BOOKS MERELY THERE JUST FOR THE ASKING AND THEY USUALLY HAVE A VAST DATABASE TO ACCESS AT YOUR REQUEST.
I DO HAVE A GOOD MANY WOODTURNING VIDEOS WHICH I HAVE PURCHASED BOTH LOCALLY AS WELL AS OFF SHORE AND CAN SUPPLY YOU WITH A LIST OF THE VIDEO,S IF YOU REQUIRE IT.
ANOTHER GOOD SOURCE FOR VIDEO'S IS THE WOODTURNING MAGAZINE WHICH YOU MAY LOCATE ALSO AT YOUR LIBRARY.

------------------
Johnno

Gordy Gonyo
27th June 2000, 08:29 PM
Thanks John, I would like to buy a video because I want to show it to younger people as well. As I said I need one that will show the use of the tools. I am having trouble with that. I would also like to know if there is a place that I can get templates, or do you make your own? Thanks for all help - Gordy.

John Saxton
30th June 2000, 09:01 PM
Gordy,I have gone through some of my tapes and there is a local guy by the name of Les Miller who produces a range of woodworking tapes as well as woodturning and whilst they don't go anywhere near the quality of content as those from Mike Darlow they are considerably cheaper and do show the basics and the all important safety aspects that is inherent in all of us particularly when dealing with the younger fraternity.Now I have had these tapes for some time so hia address may have changed but I'll put down the one I have for him which is WOODMILL CRAFT & EDUCATION,6 BALMORAL ST,WAITARA 2077 PH# 2489 2682
This gentleman demonstates at all the Riddell Woodworking shows in the major State cities and has a wealth of knowledge that would be a boon in itself if he were to employ it within these forums, but I guess he must be a busy man

Hope this is of some help to you

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 30 June 2000).]