PDA

View Full Version : Marquetry

stumpy72
23rd January 2010, 12:02 AM
Are there any other people doing marquetry?

toolbagsPLUS
23rd January 2010, 09:14 AM
Yes on a daily basis and I run workshops almost monthly. But I'm situated on the Gold Coast Qld. Bit far for a weekend I guess.

What are you wanting to know I'll see if I can help via email.

Cheers

Steve

stumpy72
23rd January 2010, 01:51 PM
Hi Steve thanks for the reply . I have just joined this website so still not sure how everything on here works. I did a short 2 day introductory course in Marquetry a couple years ago and liked it alot ive done a few projects now but would like to learn more. Ive read a few books also and the latest was A Marquetry Odyssey by Silas Kopf his marquetry is done mainly using scroll saws or chevalet i was never taught this process . I was taught marquetry by using a blade and cutting each piece out using the window method. Do you know of any books that can help me to learn this method? thanks

Peter

Wild Dingo
24th January 2010, 07:22 PM
Gidday and welcome Stumpy :2tsup:

When things in my life are cruising along I do a bit of marquetry most amazing and enjoyable thing to turn peices of veneer into artwork in my book... I also use the old knife/blade method... while most of mine have been pressed between two boards I did manage awhile back to score a set of those veneer bags from Carbatec but actually due to life events back there never used them but sold them along with most of my tools... now time has moved on a bit and Ive relocated so Im starting to work out how to get back into it present thinking is that I just get a couple of boards some clamps and get stuck in as its always worked for me :2tsup:

I hadnt actually heard of any other method but the time honored knife/blade cutout stick down press one be interesting to see or hear of other ways... especially if they make it easier!!! :;

Best with it mate
Shane

toolbagsPLUS
24th January 2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Steve thanks for the reply . I have just joined this website so still not sure how everything on here works. I did a short 2 day introductory course in Marquetry a couple years ago and liked it alot ive done a few projects now but would like to learn more. Ive read a few books also and the latest was A Marquetry Odyssey by Silas Kopf his marquetry is done mainly using scroll saws or chevalet i was never taught this process . I was taught marquetry by using a blade and cutting each piece out using the window method. Do you know of any books that can help me to learn this method? thanks

Peter

HI Peter,

There is some info in the Fine Woodworking publication simply called Marquetry by Tautons press or another I found the other day seems to include some is "Marquetry Course" by Jack Metcalfe

All the best with it. I'm back into it tomorrow doing a concert pianist on a box lid.

Cheers

Steve