PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Tools

Gomez
23rd January 2010, 04:54 PM
I just purchased an old wooden box of tools on eBay and whilst sorting through it, located a couple of tools I have no idea about.

Can anyone help me in identifying the 3 tools.

Thanks

Mark

kiwioutdoors
23rd January 2010, 04:58 PM
The 1st photo is a saw set
the 2nd I have no idea
The 3rd is a knife of some type I cant be more specific

wheelinround
23rd January 2010, 05:06 PM
2nd looks like a spanner for the old square headed coach bolts

3rd is a leather knife or skinning knife

Gomez
23rd January 2010, 05:09 PM
Thank you both for your quick responses.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, what is the saw set used for ?

Regards

Mark

kiwioutdoors
23rd January 2010, 05:18 PM
It sets the rake (I think this is the right terminology it may refer to the angle a tooth is filed?) on the teeth of a hand saw ie every alternate tooth is bent out at an angle as explained here

Welcome to Vintage Saw's Saw Filing Treatise (http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html)

This site shows various types of saw sets including some similar to yours

The Saw Set Collector's Resouce - Wrest And Lever Type Saw Set (http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/saw%20set%20website/wrestsawset.htm)

The plier type ( ie eclipse) saw sets are more commonly used now days.

fletty
23rd January 2010, 05:25 PM
1, saw set, used to bend alternate teeth of saw blades to alternate sides, this does a number of tasks one of which is to present a sharpened edge to the workpiece and the other is to make the 'width of the cut' (= kerf) wider that the saw blade so it won't bind in the kerf
2, spanner for coach bolts, (in the olden days when wheelinround was a young man....) blacksmiths could most easily make square nuts rather than hexagonal,
3, leather knife used sometimes like a pizza cutter so that it cut the leather rather than stretch and tear it, and other times as a skinning knife in a side to side slicing motion to separate the hide from the meat.
fletty

Gomez
23rd January 2010, 05:47 PM
I guess there's not going to be much use for items numbered 2 and 3 then.

wheelinround
23rd January 2010, 05:49 PM
No 3 would make a great marking knife or veneer cutter

No 2 the tool you can toss at those who ask for the loan of a spanner:U

wheelinround
23rd January 2010, 06:02 PM
2, spanner for coach bolts, (in the olden days when wheelinround was a young man....) blacksmiths could most easily make square nuts rather than hexagonal,
fletty

Yes thats the one it was old Fletty the blacksmith who showed me :q

Gomez
23rd January 2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks for that but my mates don't borrow my tools anymore 'cause they're tired of being told no. I lost too many tools in the past bacause someone 'forgot' they borrowed them and it's a bitch to replace them.

This was the link to the box of tools I bought on eBay. It came from a deceased estate.

BOX WITH OLD TOOLS - eBay, Other Tools, Hardware, Locks, Tools, Hardware, Locks, Collectables. (end time 28-Dec-09 01:09:04 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120507555764)

Virgil
23rd January 2010, 07:36 PM
Ah ha! You got that did you?

I had my eye on that but couldn't get to Grafton. There was some nice stuff there. The back saws looked exquisite. In very good condition.

Good luck with them,
Virg.

Gomez
23rd January 2010, 08:13 PM
Only cost $ 275 to ship it to Perth from Grafton. I used a mob called Pack & Send, who were about half to quarter the price of all the other quotes I got. They also pick up eBay items.

All the saws were in great condition, with some going back to the early 1900's, although some of the handles are in need of TLC.

All in all it was a great bargain.

The fun is now restoring them, where needed.

joe greiner
23rd January 2010, 09:35 PM
The third tool is reminiscent of the Alaskan ULU knife. It principal benefit is placing the downward force of cutting directly over the middle of the blade.

More here: Ulu.com - About the Alaskan Ulu Knife (http://www.ulu.com/aboutulu.htm) and/or Google [ulu].

Cheers,
Joe

Gomez
23rd January 2010, 09:58 PM
HELP.

Any ideas on what item 3 might be worth ?

There are two of them, I pictured the smaller one. Both are stamped "S. DIXON Warranted"

I've had a PM on it and no idea what would be a fair price.

msiemsen
24th January 2010, 11:35 AM
Tool # one is indeed a saw set. That type is more specifically called a saw wrest.
Mike

Heavansabove
24th January 2010, 12:04 PM
# 3, the saddle knife makes a great vegetable/herb etc cutter, especially when used in a wooden bowl. Worth keeping. They do bring reasonably good prices on eBay.

Cheers
Peter

HazzaB
24th January 2010, 12:53 PM
Hey Gomez,

Do you still have #2 I'm interested, if you want to get rid of it(Mine is not as good condition as the one you have) and # 3 would be ideal for herb and fine chopping in the kitchen (if you spend any time there that is)

HazzaB

Gomez
24th January 2010, 01:28 PM
HazzaB

I think I can safely say that it's of no use to me.

Did you want to have a look at it, I'm generally down Mandurah way at least once a month.

HazzaB
24th January 2010, 01:46 PM
Hey Gomez,

Yes please, I'll send you a PM

HazzaB

Hobo
26th January 2010, 10:24 AM
Prices varry greatly between he US and Australia
I have been buying and selling estates for 20 years. I also owned an antique mall for about the same time. The leather tool sells for $7.50 to 17.50 here in the US.

The first tool does not look like any saw tooth set I have ever seen and I own woned and sold dozens of them. I am going to need to look it up in my books. I have seen them but I never put them with a saw.

Old tools are always fun. I have been collecting them for years.

Gomez
26th January 2010, 11:45 AM
I can see how it would be easy to get hooked into collecting them. I' m spending a lot more time on eBay now looking.

GraemeCook
26th January 2010, 08:07 PM
Tool # 3 is also known as a tanner's knife and was/is used to scrape the last vestiges of fat or protein film from the inside of the skin before tanning. Process also softened the dry skin a little.

Cheers

Graeme

China
26th January 2010, 11:50 PM
No 3 is around knife or head knife it is used for cutting shapes and straight lines in leather, by saddle makers etc. some one who knows how to use them won't use anything else.

Hobo
27th January 2010, 03:51 AM
I can see how it would be easy to get hooked into collecting them. I' m spending a lot more time on eBay now looking.

I know shipping is a killer form the US to Australia. I just wanted to say that
E bay here in the US is a great source for tools. The planes and many other tools are selling for less than half what they did a few years back. Everything in the antique and collectable world is down 60 percent. Only the very fine and rare items are selling and even they are off in price. I have been in the antique busines on the side for 45 years. I am buying things for the prices I paid back in the 70's. Even some of the furnitue is a give away. I have an extensive collection of wood planes and molding planes. I have around 300 in my collecton. I was reading a post about having more than one plane of the same type to use. I have a half dozen of all the common ones that I have not sold. If anyone would like some good used planes I will sell them cheap as long as you pay the shipping from California. I can post pictures if there are any request. All are Stanley US made and the sizes are from #3 too #8 If you want a #2 and #1 I have them but they will be full price. They are rare and very hard to come by. To give you an idea of my pricing I just sold on the Woodnet.com site a #7 Stanley for $45. The shipping from coast to coast in the US was about $18. I would need to look up the rates to Australia. I am sure they will be double if not more. That makes shipping almost the price of a plane. I will even sharpen the blade. I have a Tormax grinder and can put a great edge on it for you. You can clean up the planes they way you found them. None of mine have any rust. It is very dry where I live and very little if anything rust.