PDA

View Full Version : Similar position to Medal Collector - what should I do??

MrFlibble
31st August 2004, 02:39 PM
Hi all,

As a matter of odd co-incidence, I seem to find myself in a very similar position to Medal Collector in this post (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=10916).

I'm looking at purchasing a table saw to replace a Triton system I borrowed and have been getting quite worked up over the Festool products on offer.

I'm also very new to this game. I'm in a position to buy all my hardware from scratch and am still trying to figure out what I should spend my hard earned cash on! I'm a firm believer in buying quality, but don't think that money should be thrown about because of a label.

Until last night I was adamant that I wanted to buy the CS 70 (if I still go Festool, I'll go the CS 50 after reading nt900's post) but a little more research made me think that a permanent unit would more logical. After flicking through a few woodworking mags and price catalogues, I noticed that for a similar price to the CS 70 base system, I can get what looks like a fantastic sliding table saw unit with all the bells and whistles I need as standard. After reading the replies to Medal Collector’s post I'm starting to think I was right..

My original attraction to the Festool system was the unique way that all power and dust extraction interconnected with each other, along with the quality and reliability I've read about. Now I'm not sure what to do!

So now my latest thought it to buy a good quality permanent table saw. Then possibly complement that setup with the Festool Multi Function Table (MFT) system as well as routing and finishing tools. I read a shining review (US) of the Festool MFT here:

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/festool_mft1.htm

The guy that wrote the review states that he has a table saw, plus the MFT system with the Festool circular saw. I must be missing something, because I can't see how that isn't doubling up on tools...

As I'm still yet to make any major purchases (with the exception of a Trition router, but I'm thinking of re-selling that if need be) I'm ready to start making a shopping list. I would appreciate it if anyone could offer any suggestions or recommendations as to which way I should go, or point me to some products that I should consider.

Thanks!

MrFlibble.

nt900
31st August 2004, 03:53 PM
Mr Flibble,

Regardless of which saw you may end up buying, what a great position to ‘find’ yourself in, looking to buy a table saw. Isn’t life grand.

Let me clarify, and it is just my personal opinion, and on the basis of owning a CS 70, not a CS 50 or other table saw….. Given the choice between the CS 70 and the CS 50, and let’s forget price for a moment, I would go again with the CS 70. A little bigger tables, a little more power, can nicely manage fitting a diamond saw blade and cut blue board.

What I looking forward to, and will happen in my near future is to buy a MFT 1080. As you suggest, and the review you point out is excellent, makes a great substitute for a table saw altogether. With the added bonus of being a sort of router table, and general purpose assembly and clamping table. I feel my credit card an itching.

As much as I like the table saw, and maybe this is what the reviewer was getting at, the MFT is an alternative way of managing panel cutting. Move the saw over the work, rather than the work over the saw blade. Both have pros and cons. I would love to have both options available.

But for someone without a sawing option at all, there are two good alternatives available, table saw, or MFT/ Guide Rail option. In a permanent workshop, table saw I guess, on site, MFT is excellent, but a Festool table saw being rather portable, is also excellent.

MrFlibble
31st August 2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your feedback nt900. One of the things I want to be able to do is cross cut multiple lengths of timber all at a pre-defined length by way of some form of cross cut stopping system. If I go with the MFT only system I can't see how that will be possible. I'll have to measure, mark, measure, cut each piece separately. Whereas with the table saw I can set the stop to the correct place and cut till the cows come home...

I guess this is where having both pieces of equipment will be handy. The MFT will also serve as a fantastic table to hold pieces for routing, etc.

gatiep
31st August 2004, 05:02 PM
Quote:

One of the things I want to be able to do is cross cut multiple lengths of timber all at a pre-defined length by way of some form of cross cut stopping system.

How about a tablesaw and a CSMS and some change in the pocket. I'll only buy a mobile setup if I want to use it mobile. Festool is great quality but do you need it to be light and mobile. If not you'll be hard pressed to beat the tablesaw and CSMS combo. The choice is entirely yours however.

:)

nt900
31st August 2004, 06:11 PM
Mr Fibble, the MFT has an attachment for setting cross cut stop length. An extension with measuring tape attached.

gatiep, I missed something, what is CSMS?

Greg Mann
1st September 2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your feedback nt900. One of the things I want to be able to do is cross cut multiple lengths of timber all at a pre-defined length by way of some form of cross cut stopping system. If I go with the MFT only system I can't see how that will be possible. I'll have to measure, mark, measure, cut each piece separately. Whereas with the table saw I can set the stop to the correct place and cut till the cows come home...

I guess this is where having both pieces of equipment will be handy. The MFT will also serve as a fantastic table to hold pieces for routing, etc.
YOU might find this of some help in determining the benefits /limitations of decision.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11439

This topic has been explored in several threads on the SMC forum, some of them quite heated, as us Seppos can sometimes be an intolerant lot. The thread I cited was one of the more thoughtful.

Greg

PaulS
1st September 2004, 11:28 PM
gatiep, I missed something, what is CSMS?I think he meant SCMS - Sliding Compound mitre saw.

nt900
2nd September 2004, 12:00 PM
Ahh, a SCMS is a must. I just mounted mine on a Delta Kickstand. Great setup and support, wheel it around instead of carrying the saw. But the whole rig is bloody heavy to lift into the back of a vehicle.

silkwood
7th September 2004, 07:43 PM
MHO... Having used pretty much every option of table saw types, over the years, I had to agonise over this decision last year (yes it is a pleasure to agonise over new tools, does that make me a masochist?).

1. I needed some portability.
2.I like the Triton system(s) but find it a little too flawed in too many areas to be a favourite (it's very good, but little things add up, see "Triton Forum")
3. I love flexibility. No matter what you buy there's always something it won't do, or won't do without making a dozen jigs to suit.

My answer was the Festool Basis 1A, including sliding attachment. Yes, I also bought other items, such as the guide system (1080mm & 2400mm) along with the PS300 and table to suit the basis system. Oh and the CCD12 drill kit.

Am I happy? Extremely! I have an extraordinarily flexible and accurate system which allows me to do much with ease. It is not, however, a true substitute for a table saw, but I never imagined it to be.

If you do not have any need for portability I cannot see a better decision than a good table saw (though many would argue).

By the way, I have to disagree with Ratbag over the PS300EQ Jigsaw. I've just come from a well used Metabo and have frequently used a couple of Bosch items(get them away from me, please). It might be just because the Festool is new but so far it wins hands down over my Metabo, the low speed is so little different in real use I'm surprised it was mentioned and the accuracy is up with the best I have used. Have to agree about stting the baseplate bevel though.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

MrFlibble
8th September 2004, 04:15 PM
Silkwood, do you have any trouble cutting large sheets of manufactured boards / panels with this system? Is it more cumbersome than using a good table saw?

nt900
8th September 2004, 05:46 PM
Silkwood, do you use an MFT with your guide rails, or without? And do you use the PS300 jigsaw in the Basis system?

silkwood
8th September 2004, 08:39 PM
Firstly, I don't use a MFT, mainly because SWMBO wouldn't let me spend any more money!

Actually I don't see a need for one for cutting the majority of materials with the guide system. I purchased four $14.99 "work-bench" tables from Bunnies, added some 90x35 sections as sacrificial boards, and use the AT55 saw with the guides to make absolutely accurate cuts on panels (including easily squaring off to start), This is an excellent way to cut large panels, though when I (finally) get my new place built, about March next year, I will be making a vertical panel system to hang from the rafters (I found it in an old issue of Fine Woodworking).

As I said, my system doesn't take the place of a high end panel saw, but it does make for a very good alternative, especially as I need the flexibility (I am renting whilst my new place is being built).

I wouldn't mind an MFT, but one of the good things about the Basis system is the table is very stable and well machined, so it will be easy to add extention tables to it very cheaply. I have recently made a router table (not quite finished but useable) which fits into my B&D Workmate, but will eventually bolt onto the rear of my Basis table.

Cheers,

silkwood
8th September 2004, 08:42 PM
Sorry, Anthony, yes I do use the jigsaw with the table and with the guides. Both are a bit of a compromise but work reasonably well. If you don't have a bandsaw the table setup is very handy.

Cheers

nt900
9th September 2004, 05:30 PM
Ah, I was wondering if any Basis owners had more than one module for the table. I can count at least one now.

In what circumstances would you use the jigsaw on the guide rails, that you could not use the circular saw?

Also, I was looking through the Festool catalogue again, and noticed that the Basis and MFT can share many accessories, as they seem to use the same side rails. For example: the various extension tables, angle stops, etc. You can even bolt the MFT and Basis together for bigger surface area. Or bolt a Basis extension table with a Basis module in it to the side of the MFT. And sliding tables. This looks cool.

I am thinking of bolting a Basis extension table to my MFT 1080 to give that little bit extra surface area.

silkwood
9th September 2004, 05:40 PM
Anthony you are right. I purchased the jigsaw plate for the guides but, apart from a brief ply when I first purchased I haven't come up with a use for it (yet). Chalk one up to exhuberance over common sense, eh?

As for all the bits fitting together, this is a great system, but personally my wallet (and my better half) can only take so much! Makin a melamine/MDF extention which can be very accurately adjused is a breeze.

Cheers,

nt900
9th September 2004, 05:44 PM
A combo of purchased components and shop built when you can is a good way to go. I suffer from the same problems, not enough cash, sensible and rational wife.