PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Pat
26th January 2010, 01:06 PM
I have decided to get rid of my Teknatool TL 1000 8s with it's 1x10 spindle. I have 4 inserts at 1x10 that look to have the meat to drill out and tap for M30x3.5. I have a couple of mates that possibly could do the job for me or I have the drill press and a M30x3.5 tap and cutting fluid. I just have to source the 26.5mm drill bit. (4 new insets = $120ish)

Is it worth it?

DJ’s Timber
26th January 2010, 01:33 PM
I would say no.

Your biggest problem here is being able to mount the inserts where they could be bored out or drilled concentrically for re-tapping. To many variables to get it spot on IMHO, spend the dough and get ones that have been made to order.

Pat
26th January 2010, 03:41 PM
That's one of my concerns. The idea of me doing it myself is fast disappearing with the knowledge of requiring a 30.5mm drill for the clearance hole as well (Engineer's Black Book (2nd Edition) Pg 29).

One of the blokes, that I am going to ask is a turner himself.

Jim Carroll
26th January 2010, 03:47 PM
As DJ has indicated unless you can set these up perfectly there is going to be the chance of it not running true.

It only has to be a poofteenth out and the chuck will wobble,:((

jchappo
26th January 2010, 03:55 PM
Recent experiences with Teknatool inserts suggests that you may even do a better job than they do :whistling1:

Not an engineer, but maybe better to mount chuck true in lathe and tap insert in situ.

wheelinround
26th January 2010, 03:58 PM
That's one of my concerns. The idea of me doing it myself is fast disappearing with the knowledge of requiring a 30.5mm drill for the clearance hole as well (Engineer's Black Book (2nd Edition) Pg 29).

One of the blokes, that I am going to ask is a turner himself.

Pat if thats the fellow you have mentioned to me about (Fitter machinist metal lathe bloke) he should have no problem as long as there is enough meat and he could tell you that too. Or maybe he can make what you need, thats if he can cut the thread for the male to femal for the chuck fit I believe its ARPIA thread.

As for the 1x10's I know a good home for them unless your getting rid of them with the lathe :;

Edit I will pay for them to offset costs.

Ray

wheelinround
26th January 2010, 04:00 PM
Recent experiences with Teknatool inserts suggests that you may even do a better job than they do :whistling1:

Not an engineer, but maybe better to mount chuck true in lathe and tap insert in situ.

1st part :brava:roflmao:

2nd bit see what hanging round with old engineers does for you :U

hughie
26th January 2010, 08:14 PM
Pat,
The inserts are made commercially on cnc lathes. In your case you would need to have them machined and screw cut on a lathe also just to get the accuracy.

Rays point about enough meat is a valid one, all in all, it may be better to on sell and start again.The chance of having 4 stuffed inserts is fairly high.

Sawdust Maker
26th January 2010, 08:18 PM
Pat
I'm sure with the right lengths of fishing line and hanging from the eaves of the shed they'll make great wind chimes :2tsup:

ok ok I heard you PON!

funkychicken
26th January 2010, 08:28 PM
A 26mm drill bit will cost you $108, so it wouldn't be worth it

rodent
1st February 2010, 01:04 AM
Neg to all that it realy needs to be done in a vertical mill where every thing can be trued up .