PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy

jerryc
27th January 2010, 03:28 PM
Not a momentous occasion for most people, but for me it was a wonderful day. I actually went into my workshop for the first time in what has been a problem year for me. My heart was restarted in June after six months of not working ( sounds a bit like Frankenstein's monster)
Didn't realize how weak I am. Spent the time sorting through my wood to find enough to make a small table top. Too tired to put the rejects back on the rack but it's a start. Tomorrow rehab, but I've promised myself that Friday I will blow the dust off the tablesaw and make a real start on actual woodwork. Know it's no great thing really, but I actually feel proud of myself.

Jerry

watson
27th January 2010, 03:44 PM
Wonderful Stuff.
Go for it.

wheelinround
27th January 2010, 04:27 PM
Jerry thats great news well done slow process but it will happen.

Ray

tea lady
27th January 2010, 05:31 PM
:oo: Not a great thing? We all take it too much for granted don't we.:doh: Well done Jerry.

Ironwood
27th January 2010, 05:55 PM
Good news Jerry !!

I hope Friday goes well for you.

wolften
27th January 2010, 05:56 PM
...take it slow and steady Jez...

Glenn

Christos
27th January 2010, 06:14 PM
Welcome back to the shop.

Fencepost2
27th January 2010, 06:20 PM
Really good to hear Jerry. Glad it gave you so much satisfaction to get back into the workshop - take your time and savour each forward step and achievement. Keep us posted.

Enfield Guy
27th January 2010, 07:38 PM
More power to you!!! Good to hear!
Cheers

mjmjm
27th January 2010, 08:55 PM
Sounds like you had an enjoyable day. Hope they get better and better.

artme
27th January 2010, 09:07 PM
Good for you Jerry!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I have some idea of how you feel.

Woodwould
27th January 2010, 11:22 PM
Good for you Jerry! :thyel: Little steps.

beeroll
28th January 2010, 09:21 PM
That's fantastic! Nothing to make the heart healthier than doing what it loves. (Unless what it loves is eating bacon butties, of course :q) Enjoy being back in the shop!

jerryc
29th January 2010, 05:16 PM
Thank all of you for your words of encouragement. It has been a great boost to me.

I managed to get into the workshop after a slow start. Blood pressure remained low and I had to lie flat on my back for half and hour until it reached a working level (sounds like an old steam engine). Started up the saw bench and over a period of time started dimensioning the wood. Wife suggested I put a chair in the workshop and take frequent rests. Worked for a little time before and after lunch. I have decided to work on a small table top, not exactly fine woodworking I know and I'm incredibly slow but it was a step.\ and there's always tomorrow
One job I'd like to do before Easter is making four cabinet doors for the yacht I share with my SIL and daughter. It will involve making sixteen corner pieces and veneering four panels. They are visiting over Easter and I'd like to be able to give them the doors to take back to Brisbane. As Robert Browning said "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for.:"

Jerry:thanx2:

wheelinround
29th January 2010, 05:31 PM
Jerry as you know I use a wheelchair but in the garage I also use a draftsman stool good height adjustment :2tsup: and on wheels. Ok so he little plastic ones are APIA I am saving for a set to replace them with 6 will cost me abut $80 2 with lockdown so it doesn't roll when tansffering or when I don't want it to.

Jerry I can't help you from here but maybe Vic members may Easter isn't far away

blockhed
1st February 2010, 09:55 PM
it's a good feeling to be moving forward instead of backwards all the time..
as the wife said Jerry, just listen to your body and take time out as is necessary.
good luck with the current project
regards
the block:2tsup:

jerryc
2nd February 2010, 01:18 PM
I'm still happy. Saturday I lasted half an hour and retreated because of the heat. Very low blood pressure means you can't take the heat. Veins and arteries expand and BP drops but you get used to it. Sunday-- heat--nothing. Monday cardiac rehab. I'm buggered after that so rest. Today I started bad. low BP so flat of my back for a while. But I was determined.. Got into the shop and lasted forty minutes. Realized that I'm not up to using a plane yet, so shame of it, I had to use the thicknesser. Might try again this afternoon.

Jerry

jerryc
2nd February 2010, 01:21 PM
Wife just put the kybosh on my afternoon workshop. Ah well, there's always tomorrow

Jerry

wheelinround
2nd February 2010, 05:28 PM
Jerry you have to rest too, as I am finding out this weather is all over the place keeping fluids up helps mine is water and tea.

Welcome Home Arthur hope Sunday is a good one.

jerryc
5th February 2010, 02:24 PM
Well it's Friday and a week since I started back in the workshop. Hasn't been the greatest week. High temperature meant low blood pressure so flat on my back for long periods. I accepted that but Thursday at Cardiac Rehab my exercise dropped away alarmingly and I was shunted off to the recovery cubicle, more flat on the back. Today temperature lower and I promised myself I would go to the workshop. WRONG. Blood pressure down again. Gets a bit monotonous I've only managed about an hour and a half for the week, but I will get there. there's always tomorrow. It's not that I'm in denial about my condition, I just know I cannot give way to it. The cardiologist who set up the rehab unit says physical activity is vital.

Jerry

munruben
5th February 2010, 02:44 PM
You will get there mate, just one step at a time.:2tsup:

munruben
5th February 2010, 02:46 PM
because artme is back in Oz.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Will organize some photos and some info after I've:
*Serviced the cars
*Harvested the grass, errr - mowed what used to be a lawn
*renovated the garden
*Taken a couple of runs to the tip
*Shifted all the furniture from the shed to the house
* Spoken to the bank manager
*Met with the sewerage and drainage consultant
*Spoken to the bank manager
*Argued with council
*Spoken to the bank manager
*Put all my machinery back in place
*cleaned my tools
*Etc., etc., etc.

See at least some of you on Sunday!!

Cheers,artme.:):)Arthur! you will have to stop taking things so easy. Can't you find something to do? :) See you on Sunday mate.:2tsup:

Fencepost2
6th February 2010, 01:33 PM
Jerry, I really admire your determination. It is highly probable that what I am about suggest is rubbish, but at least you can have a laugh. Your low BP makes it necessary to be flat on your back. Does that allow the possibility of being flat on your stomach or on your side? If so, with a suitable bench below your resting place, and an aperture - as in some physio and massage tables - there could be some forms of woodwork that are possible. Just trying to think laterally :-) Meanwhile, all my positive vibes are whizzing out in your direction.

jerryc
6th February 2010, 04:55 PM
Fencepost2,

Great idea. Ok next problem is moving supine bed around the workshop on wheels. Have to work on that. Keeping the mind active is just as important as physical endeavour. Opens some interesting ideas. You've got my goonish mind already working on it.

Did a bit today, mostly design work. Got to make sixteen corner pieces for yacht cabinets. As each is cut from 50 mm squares and need a curved outer and inner section to fit edges 25mm wide with a rebate of 10 mm to take ply panels, designing a jig to hold them safely while routing is a bit of a challenge. Did it last time by using the radial saw as a pin router ,-bit clumsy. As a last resort I'll do it that way again.

Jerry

wheelinround
6th February 2010, 05:03 PM
Jerry I use a Draftsmans chair/stool to roll around my shop easier than the wheelchair ATM it still has those plastic wheels on it I have looked at a set for replacement using one or two lockable so when I need to its stays still. Height goes from desk to almost standing :2tsup:

philf
6th February 2010, 06:56 PM
Good stuff Jerry keep up the good work. Slowly does it is better than not doing anything, keep it up and good luck with it all.

jerryc
17th February 2010, 05:49 PM
I'm still coming to terms with just how weak I am. Just spent the week flat on my back with low BP. Today I started again in the workshop. A little work with a chisel to fine tune a ply jig and I'm "jiggered." Used a little sandpaper (shame) and after about a minute my shoulder muscles rebelled. The walk back up the slope to the house added to the wipe out. Looks like I have to spend more time in the shop to get fit. Another problem reared it's head. Funny how you "know" your workshop. Because I'm not there much, I can't find things.

Jerry

wheelinround
18th February 2010, 09:47 AM
Jerry it could be medication knocking you about also I know one of mine is detrimental to body muscle but improves the heart.

:doh: Wish I'd noticed you are in Melbourne just been there since Last Saturday got home last night.

Ray

Wongo
18th February 2010, 09:51 AM
No pictures so it didn't happen. :D

Seriously I wish you well Jerry.

Fencepost2
18th February 2010, 06:04 PM
Jerry, keep up doing the little bits. Just a question, if your condition doesn't allow you to do much in the workshop are you able to enjoy reading bits about woodwork? I have a few back numbers of the Australian Woodsmith and other things that I could parcel to you. PM me your address if that would like me to send them to you - no charge of course.

Billy
18th February 2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Jerry,
after being crook recently and not entering the sawdust factory for nearly three months I've found that my routine, or "rythym" in the workshop is all messed up.:(
But, as you say a little bit at a time and it comes back to you. As for not finding things, Ive always been like that, Ive only got to turn my back on a tool for a minute and its gone.:rolleyes:
Have you considered putting air conditioning in your shed? lower temps in there might allow for longer periods of work.:cold: My Mrs wont let me a/c the workshop until Ive finished ALL the projects Ive got going, bulldozer, canoe,coffee table, bits for boat console, shelving,lighting.:smack:
Itll be the middle of winter and freezing out there by the time Ive finished them.:sick2:
Good luck with the recovery, you'll get there.:2tsup:
cheers, billy
(peering anxiously through the cobwebs in the sawdust factory)

jerryc
19th February 2010, 11:39 AM
Ray,
I looked up CMT in order to understand your problems. Got to admit life has handed you a rough hand to play. Makes me a bit shamefaced to be moaning about myself. I'm not usually a whinger and have spent time trying to work out why I am now. Let's put it down to lack of blood to the brain. On the business of drugs taken, I was told by the cardiac nurse and my wife (cardiac also) that the beta blockers do sap the will to do things, motivation drops away.
Fencepost2,
It's a very kind offer on the magazines. At the moment I won't put you to the trouble, but thanks for the offer.
Billy,
Sorry to hear you have been laid low for three months. Hope it wasn't too serious, although it sounds bad enough. I was just getting my workshop back into some order when the right side added to the left failure and one big problem I have to face apart from not knowing where things are, is that tools go blunt when not in use. No need for air conditioning normally as the shop is built in under the house.
Wongo,
Piccies will follow and they are not a pretty sight.

Thanks again for the support

Jerry

Christos
19th February 2010, 06:29 PM
I have been following this but I do not have much to say other then to give you my support.

wheelinround
19th February 2010, 08:12 PM
Ray,
I looked up CMT in order to understand your problems. Got to admit life has handed you a rough hand to play. Makes me a bit shamefaced to be moaning about myself. I'm not usually a whinger and have spent time trying to work out why I am now. Let's put it down to lack of blood to the brain. On the business of drugs taken, I was told by the cardiac nurse and my wife (cardiac also) that the beta blockers do sap the will to do things, motivation drops away.
Piccies will follow and they are not a pretty sight.

Thanks again for the support

Jerry

Jerry my CMT isn't as bad as what you have read I can assure you as I am not main stream DNA testing has proven that. Other things in life caused further problems Chronic Fatiuge made things far worse as it effects the same Nuro area. Arthritis and a few broken bones didn't help either.:no:

PS. Fitted some new lockable wheels to my draughtsman chair today Jerry going to be able to wheel myself around in the shed from one end to the other with no need to worry about plastic flippin office chair wheels.

Still wish we had called round to say G'day when down in Melbourne earlier this week.

jerryc
24th February 2010, 03:30 PM
Christos,
You'd be amazed how much even a few simple words of encouragement can help. Like visiting someone in hospital. You haven't much to say and you may eat all the patient's grapes yet the visit is appreciated. So thank you.
Ray,
From what you say I still reckon you've a rough hand to play. Glad the wheels on your little red wagon are going well. Not red? Well you know what I mean.

Today I was back in the shop after a long absence. Flat on my back again. As you know Ray, the hot weather can be a bugga. At cardiac rehab, they have stopped me using the treadmill as the girls think it's putting too much strain on weak leg muscles. One of them jokingly said, "We'd like you to walk out after exercise, not be laid out in the recovery room for an hour each time. I remember in my youth walking 72 miles in 24 hours, ah well they were days now long gone.
But an hour today in the shop was wonderful. Didn't do a great deal but it was almost as if the shop was beginning to respond to me and come alive again. Sounds daft I know, but that's how I felt.
Hope I'm not boring everyone.

Jerry

tea lady
24th February 2010, 03:40 PM
Today I was back in the shop after a long absence. Flat on my back again. As you know Ray, the hot weather can be a bugga. At cardiac rehab, they have stopped me using the treadmill as the girls think it's putting too much strain on weak leg muscles. One of them jokingly said, "We'd like you to walk out after exercise, not be laid out in the recovery room for an hour each time. I remember in my youth walking 72 miles in 24 hours, ah well they were days now long gone.
But an hour today in the shop was wonderful. Didn't do a great deal but it was almost as if the shop was beginning to respond to me and come alive again. Sounds daft I know, but that's how I felt.
Hope I'm not boring everyone.

JerryI'm sure my friends are sick me saying this, but tai chi is the answer. :cool: Strengthens leg muscles and all the back support muscles. Its a great thinking mans exercise that builds you up rather that wearing you out.:cool:

tea lady
24th February 2010, 03:47 PM
Great idea. Ok next problem is moving supine bed around the workshop on wheels. Have to work on that. Keeping the mind active is just as important as physical endeavour. Opens some interesting ideas. You've got my goonish mind already working on it.

While we are thinking laterally, :D how about the bed hanging from the ceiling with a remote control that runs you around tracks to get where you want to go. :think: Wouldn't need floor space then, so more room for tools.:2tsup::D

wheelinround
24th February 2010, 03:59 PM
Jerry good to know you had some shed time, since coming home from Melbourne I've done a bit after nothing for a few days while away the muscles feel it.

I use an excersise bike Jerry not motorised low setting I do up to 40 mins depending on how I feel (none since coming home :B) Using the bike take stress off the joints less wieght ( I am 84kg) but weak leg muscles and joints. But on the bike you wouldn't know the difference between you and I legs work. If I go back on now I'll maybe only do 15 mins but I'm working everything that needs to be legs heart and determination. My excersise bike is just a $99 BigW special.

Mind I got a work out today wheeling myself around at Ornamental turners at Tom's place his yard is all grass and uneven.:~:roll::U

jerryc
27th February 2010, 04:09 PM
TL, Thank you for taking the trouble to offer what is basic good advice, I know a little about Tai Chee and know it's akin to isometric exercise, although it has differences. For me the problem is the inability of my heart to pump blood at anything lke a reasonable rate. The legs are the largest muscle group in the body and so demand a good blood flow. Even standing uses muscles at a greater rate than I can supply them. Improved muscle tone is a help as it enables the veins to return blood more efficiently and I am working on getting them stronger. However for the moment, exercise whilst standing is out.

Ray, I have an exercise bike, free weights and a home gym all reminders of a more active past. My home recovery regime is five minutes on the bike. 20 leg lifts at 20lbs and 10 by 2 lat straight arm pull downs at 25lbs. Whole routine takes about 15 minutes as I have to lie down for five minutes between each exercise. At the rehab the routine is a little more because every exercise is closely monitored by a cardiac nurse and a physiotherapist.
In my youth I used to race push bikes and with training and racing I averaged about 600 miles a week. It all changed when I discovered the opposite sex. Great days now gone. Maximum time I can now cope with on the exercise bike is 12 minutes But the days now when BP goes below 70 or when temp gets over 30c are lost days.
Glad to see you are enjoying life to the max and not giving in.

Jerry

wheelinround
27th February 2010, 04:15 PM
LOL Jerry its terrible what the opposite sex can do to a man but we enjoy it :U

Keep on plugging Jerry your doing ok.

Got 30 mins on the bike the other day to hot since then unless I do it early or late by which time I'd rather be reading. :roll:

jerryc
28th February 2010, 03:44 PM
TL, lateral thinking is a great idea. Problem is force has an equal counter force. If I try planing whilst hanging from the ceiling, I'll pendulum backward as I push forward. Could get seasick.

Ray, I've had three down days because of low blood pressure. Think it might be dehydration. When you're so incapacitated there is a tendency to see the black side of things. I don't want to reach a stage of being totally bedridden. Today however I reached the dizzying heights of 81 over 56 and it's amazing what a different view you have when you can actually move around. Didn't make it to the workshop because I wanted to ease back into working. So exercise and then out with the hose to water the hanging baskets. Lasted two minutes standing but it's a start.

Jerry

jerryc
28th February 2010, 03:57 PM
Ray, Just been thinking a bit more (blood must be reaching my brain). I have to admit I haven;'t turned wood for some time. Might have to dust off the lathe, sharpen a few tools and get stuck in. It might be a way of strengthening my back muscles. I know you turn sitting down but that's beyond me.
Hardest piece of turning I did was to make a cradle for my grandson. 72 spindles in the cradle and 36 on the change table. Done by eye. Wonder how I'd go now. Perhaps a simple single piece would be enough. Used to turn goblets but I'd need to practice a bit before tackling one.

Jerry

rsser
28th February 2010, 04:00 PM
Keep at it Jerry.

Best wishes

Edit: turning, why not?

When my back was b*ggered I had a gas lift stool in front of the lathe. Hundred bucks or so it cost. Priceless.

chambezio
28th February 2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks Jerry for being so honest with your story and your thoughts! I have talked (via Forum) to you about my depression, but the hassles you are having makes mine a little pale. Your mind is well and truly willing, if only your body could keep up! Getting old is not as good as growing up. Staying positive and sitting in front of your monitor can at least give you some escape into what others are getting up too.
I wish I could wave a magic wand to help you and others out but alas its bent and the woofell dust has leaked. How is your good lady standing up to it all? Make sure she knows how grateful you are for the care she gives. All the best mate, better days ahead for all of us!

artme
28th February 2010, 08:23 PM
Good to hear you are hanging in there Jerry.:2tsup:

Can't help with the lateral thinking. Everytime I try that ideas disappear over horizon.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

wheelinround
28th February 2010, 08:52 PM
Way to go Jerry.

One thing I have done since coming home is drink plenty water some days I drink more tea, yes dehydration is a problem more so if your a coffee drinker or have been.

These days coffee is once a month min once a week followed by a bottle of water.

Jerry the only reason i sit is because hips knee's ankle are not strong enough they still feel everything.

I always remember the saying you snooze you loose. I was 5 when I first heard that

Christos
1st March 2010, 09:05 AM
I always remember the saying you snooze you loose. I was 5 when I first heard that

Very true on that saying.

jerryc
1st March 2010, 02:26 PM
Chambezio, Anyone who suffers from clinical depression has my full sympathy. I'm lucky that when I'm down I have fulI support. I also know that the most useless comment is " pull yourself together."
fortunately I am a fairly optimistic person who tries to see the humorous side of a situation. When I was in hospital i was an "interesting case" and had numerous visits by students. It was fun to see their faces they tried to find my pulse.
They would approach full of confidence and slowly drop into panic as they searched frantically.
Today it happened again. A relief cardiac nurse was on duty. The physiotherapist knew what was coming. First the blood pressure cuff and a frown as she tried to read it. I explained it was common for the regular nurse to have trouble and would carry on checking the others and return to me later. This settled her until she came to feel my pulse. She couldn't find it. She tried the other arm without success. Finally she drew a deep breath and said "Perhaps I'll get a reading direct from the heart." I replied "If you don't, I'm dead." As you can see, she did get one.:throb:

Jerry

chambezio
1st March 2010, 02:50 PM
Jerry
Its good to hear that you are still a medical Phenomonon.
I have a mate who has a crook heart too. His doctor had a lot of problems taking his pulse too, and asked him if he would spend 24 hours in hospital hooked up to machines that would check and graph him over that period. My mate agreed and they set him up in the Acute Care Room which is sort of in the middle of a ward. My mate said that it was like being in a fish bowl because it had all glass walls so the patient could be seen by the staff in the ward outside at all times.
Anyway he couldn't sleep soundly because he was "in hospital" but he was awakened by the sister about 2am who prodded him and said "Are you OK???" he answered "Yeh, I feel good,why?" She answered " your heart beat had dropped to 36 you should be dead!"
So may be he is a medical Phenomonon too :U

jerryc
4th March 2010, 11:27 AM
Rod, I believe you had your tongue firmly in your cheek when you called me a medical phenomonon. I hope so. If I gave that impression, I am sorry.From the start I have stated clearly that there are many more forumites with far bigger problems than mine.
I started the thread because I really was bursting with happiness, I had had a bad time and now in making it to the workshop I felt it was a major step forward. My progress is two steps forward and one back, sometimes two steps back, but that's the nature of any struggle. I had in mind also to help others who may be suffering in silence, sometimes because they haven't the support that I have, that there is hope.

Jerry