PDA

View Full Version : NEW Colt MaxiCut Forstner Bits

DJ’s Timber
27th January 2010, 06:43 PM
To start off, I have been using the Forstner bits available as a set from Carbatec and whilst they do work, I have never been happy with them as they don't stay sharp, especially the way I use them, drilling endgrain on the wood-lathe for S&P Mills.

So I looked elsewhere and found some Tungsten Tipped Forstners made by Carb-I-Tool which drill very well but due to the 1/4" hex shank, it wobbled and tended to run off course :doh: even with making sure it started concentrically and with a square face.

So I tended to stick with the Carbatec bit with an extension for the deep holes with lots of burning and smoke as it would drill straight and the Carb-I-Tool ones for shallow holes.

Then a couple of weeks ago someone started a thread regarding drill-bits (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/drill-bits-111166/) and a reply by thumbsucker in that thread lead me to these MaxiCut Forstners (http://www.infinitytools.com/COLT-Maxi-Cut-Individual-Forstner-Bits/products/1488/), so I ordered three bits plus an extension in 7/8", 1" and 1 3/8" from Infinity Tools (http://www.infinitytools.com/) in the USA, which ended up costing me $176.35 AU including postage.

Well they arrived today and each bit comes in its own plastic case including the extension.

128014 128015 128016

So I had to throw a couple of bits of Kiln Dried Redgum on the lathe and give them a try and after a small hiccup :B had the lathe in reverse didn't I :doh:, anyway I got them drilling beautifully and as hard and quick as I could feed the tailstock, they just kept peeling shavings out :2tsup: with no wandering of the bit.

128017 128018 128019 128020

The extension worked really well too, it has no grub screws or bolts to tighten, due to the Rotastop design and it came out in the centre at the other end of the 165mm long block :2tsup:

Following quote is copied from the Infinity Tools Website here (http://www.infinitytools.com/COLT-6-Forstner-Bit-Extender/productinfo/101-166/)

Say Goodbye To Shank Damage On Your Forstner Bits With This Innovative New ROTASTOP System

The 6" COLT Forstner bit extender has the patented ROTASTOP adapter and shank system which offers many advantages and will work perfectly with your COLT MaxiCut Forstner bits. Simply drop your COLT Forstner bits into the extension and twist. This will lock the bit into the extension and will elimante any possibility of rotation and prevent slippage which can destroy the shank on normal Forstner bits. To remove the bit, simply twist in the opposite direction to quickly unlock the bit. The shank of the extension has the same ROTASTOP system which will fit into any style chuck and quickly lock into place
So I am a very happy little Vegemite as this has been a source of annoyance to me as I have never been able to find anything that I really liked or felt would be up to the task until now :U

thumbsucker
27th January 2010, 07:06 PM
Good to see another positive review of the Colt (http://www.colt-tools.de/). I came across the Colt Forstner and drill bits online, they seem to get good reviews, I am looking to get a set of the Colt drill bits. Seems like the best thing going.

Here is some vids on the Colt.

http://www.youtube.com/v/j1zOGmuMM1I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1 (http://www.youtube.com/v/j1zOGmuMM1I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1")

http://www.youtube.com/v/cgIcDl5I-ek&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1 (http://www.youtube.com/v/cgIcDl5I-ek&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1")

And here (http://www.colt-tools.de/video/video.htm).

Ozkaban
27th January 2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the review DJ. Will definitely keep them in mind. I use the Vermec extension and while it does have grub screws, it is very solid and have never had any dramas with it...

Cheers,
Dave

Tim the Timber Turner
27th January 2010, 08:21 PM
I saw a set of these at Carba-Tec last week.

I was very interested until I found out the price.

Value for money if you have plenty of use for them.:2tsup:

I don't, so I'll keep to my cheap set with the odd universal bit for the high demand sizes.

Cheers
Tim

artme
31st January 2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for a brief but good review Tim>>:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Look slike these bits are the goods.

bsrlee
3rd February 2010, 02:42 AM
Lee Valley are selling them too, but not as 'Colt' brand bits.

DJ’s Timber
3rd February 2010, 06:14 AM
Lee Valley are selling them too, but not as 'Colt' brand bits.

I was going to buy them from Lee Valley originally but when I had a look at their website, they only offer a limited range and didn't have one of the sizes I wanted :doh:

Jim Carroll
3rd February 2010, 12:45 PM
This is what is listed on the Carbatec (http://www.carbatec.com.au/miebach-maxicut-forstner-bits_c20881) web site

Not much to start with as mostly kits. Watched the promo and they certainly look good.

Will wait for DJ to do more testing to see the longevity.

rsser
3rd February 2010, 02:00 PM
Interesting; thanks DJ.

I use a cheap HCS set and they work OK as long as they get stroked with a file often.

Also have the odd HSS unit which last longer but are harder to sharpen.

And one TCT unit which cuts rougher but has lasted well tho will need pro sharpening.

Mr Brush
3rd February 2010, 04:15 PM
I came very close to buying a set of these direct from Infinity in the US. Since the freight cost was fairly steep (even standard USPS), I wanted to include an Infinity saw blade with the order to make it worthwhile. Unfortunately they'd ship the Colt bits, but wouldn't do the blade due to local distributor......so no go.

Actually, taking the freight into account, the Carbatec price isn't bad. Might take a look next time I'm up there.

Forstner bits are a constant frustration for me - the standard Carbatec ones do seem to need re-sharpening after almost every outing, and I've never been able to find any better quality ones at a decent price. Ideal Tools has some even fancier Zobo forstner bits, but they make the Colt ones look cheap :oo:

rsser
3rd February 2010, 04:18 PM
Maybe look at the Ctec HSS jobs Mr B.

PS bear in mind the diff btwn F bits, and sawtooth bits specially for end-grain, eg. http://www.carbatec.com.au/sawtooth-bits-hss-imperial_c9120

wolften
3rd February 2010, 06:47 PM
...heck just grab them from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=62137&cat=1,180,42240) and get some more gear while you're there.
:U:roll::U

rsser
3rd February 2010, 06:55 PM
Have you done the numbers wolften?

wolften
3rd February 2010, 08:19 PM
...I always do my math Ern.
I don't just buy 1 item, that's a bit uneconomical.
Received a stateside parcel yesterday, 300x300x150=$65.00 not that heavy.
You have to combine gear to spread the freight cost as I'm sure you know.
Saved myself $260 by buying US on other items
Would love to support local retailers but...a dollar is a dollar.
I just wish some Aussie retailers weren't so arrogant

Cheers

ExtremelyAvg
11th February 2010, 04:54 AM
So I am a very happy little Vegemite as this has been a source of annoyance to me as I have never been able to find anything that I really liked or felt would be up to the task until now :U

I was getting frustrated with my Fostner bits last night and decided to start looking for higher quality. Your post is fantastic, I have never heard of those bits. I may give them a try. Thanks.

Brian:U

Mr Brush
11th February 2010, 07:28 PM
wolften - I just did the same. I have an order on the way from Lee Valley (plane, extra blades, dovetail saw), and included one of the Colt Forstner bits with my order to try.

If they are as good as people seem to think, I'll add a few of the more common sizes with my next order.

You can buy the set direct from Infinity Tools in the US, but freight would probably be uneconomical because they won't ship other Infinity items to Austalia.......:((

ribonzz
12th February 2010, 09:35 PM
I like the images, but sure they are complete?

ShazL
19th February 2010, 07:17 PM
So are there any special recommendations for using forstner bits? I just picked up a cheap set today - imperial sizes, no idea on shank size. (they are round).

Thanks from the newbie in woodworking
ShazL

rsser
19th February 2010, 07:25 PM
yes, learn how to sharpen them.

& if they're over 2" in diam & fitted to a socket with grub srews you'll be hard pressed to stop them rotating in the socket. you have to cut slow.

if you get smoke you'll know the edges are dull

ShazL
19th February 2010, 07:49 PM
hmm, the biggest one is 2 1/8", long shaft that is in 2 different sizes, starts thick at the forstner end, going smaller, the opposite end has a small hole in it. The smallest is 1/4".

Thanks for the info - a new skill to learn, sharpening.

ShazL

rsser
19th February 2010, 07:52 PM
yeah, std carbon steel doesn't last long in our hardwoods

pm me if you'd like some instructions and I'll see what I can scan for you

inc yr email addr

Mr Brush
19th February 2010, 08:46 PM
Got my 1" Colt forstner bit in my order from Lee Valley.

Cuts amazingly well. They produce lots of small chips rather than the larger shavings of a conventional forstner.

Produces a hole with VERY smooth surface finish, better than any other forstner I've ever used. Less pressure on the drill press to cut, and (not surprisingly) the Colt bit doesn't get as hot in the process as conventional forstner bits.:2tsup:

I'll certainly buy a few more Colt bits in the commonly used sizes next time I order from Lee Valley. Not sure I'd pay the local prices for them though......

TTIT
8th March 2010, 11:10 AM
Gee thanks DJ :~ - something else I just have to have :C :;
Anyone want to share in an order to save some postage????

gidgee 1
8th March 2010, 11:52 AM
TTIT

If you are buying from Lee Valley I would be interested.
Cheers
gidgee1

TTIT
8th March 2010, 05:05 PM
Doesn't look like Lee Valley or Infinity Tools have the Morse taper adaptors (at least not on their websites) so I was looking at getting them from this mob (http://power-cordless-tools.com/01-552398-Colt-Brand-sr-2.html)that appear to be linked to Amazon.com - looks like a flat-rate of about $30 for the shipping :shrug: Anyone used them before???

Ozkaban
8th March 2010, 05:16 PM
I use this one from Vermec (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/forstnerbitextension.pdf). Solid as and works very well.

Cheers,
Dave

issatree
8th March 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi All,
These bits certainly seem to be the go, but I would prefer the Saw Tooth bits, as if & when they do need a touch up, it is not so hard to sharpen them.
Ern I use the Red Easy-Lap to sharpen mine.

So how do all you Chaps go about Sharpening a Forstener Bit, being the 1 with the round curve.
3 Bits for $176, being a bit over $58ea. is hard to justify, unless you use them often.
Then it depends what price you put on the S&P Grinders ?.
An interesting Post this was.
Regards,
issatree.

Mr Brush
8th March 2010, 06:48 PM
issatree - the Colt bits are about the easiest Forstner bit to sharpen I've ever seen.

Take a look at the photo at the beginning of this thread - the curved cutter portion of the circumference of the bit is very small, the remainder of the circumference being cut back to allow easy access to the radial straight cutting edges. Someone at Colt has actually thought about the sharpening issues :D

Very happy with mine, and will be getting more next time I put in an order to Lee Valley :2tsup:

issatree
8th March 2010, 07:11 PM
Hi Mr Brush,
Hey thanks for that info, & I'm sorry I jumped in a bit quickly, as I did not notice the 2nd. page.
Yes it does look easier to Sharpen, than what I imagined.
Don't drill enough bigger holes, so I will wait awhile, most likely till the Melb. Show.
Regards,
issatree.

Mr Brush
8th March 2010, 09:36 PM
I haven't checked to see what Carbatec are selling the sets for, although I don't think they sell the Colt bits individually.

Infinity Tools in the US were happy to ship the 5-piece set to Australia, and they reckoned the shipping would be about $40.

issatree - I know what you mean about the regular forstner bits re. sharpening, and I think everyone has the same problem. I bought a large diameter forstner from Carbatec recently for a specific job, and it was pretty blunt after cutting just 12 shallow holes in laminated chipboard. It then took about 30 minutes fiddly sharpening to get it ready to cut another 12 holes :((. The Colt bit has already done >100 holes in various materials, hasn't been sharpened yet, and still cuts like new.

Like so many things in life, more expensive but cheaper in the long run :2tsup:

TTIT
31st March 2010, 12:54 AM
Got my goodies at last :U:U:U Went through WoodCraft in the US as they were the only ones listing the MT2 adaptor - but I had to wait a week extra anyway 'cos they were out of stock. Haven't done much with them yet but I can't believe how easy they cut hardwood and how clean a hole they make. Got a 1', 1-3/8" and 2" bits plus the 150mm extension and the MT2 adaptor for $254 - might seem like a lot but I reckon they will be well worth it and would have cost near double that to buy here - if you could get them at all. Love the locking system on the shanks - brilliant :2tsup: - no more grinding flats and rounded grubscrews for me :U

Sawdust Maker
2nd April 2010, 08:59 AM
Damn you blokes - something else I need :doh:
I bought a set (penturners set) of the colt drill bits a while ago and I'm very happy with them. :2tsup:
My cheap forstners have been a continual source of frustration :((

Mr Brush
2nd April 2010, 10:58 AM
One option for buying these is Infinity Tools (US). They will ship to Australia, and quoted me $40 shipping for a set of the Colt forstner bits:

COLT MaxiCut 5-Pc. Forstner Bit Set-Carbide Router Bits | Router Bit Sets | Shaper Cutters | Saw Blades | Planer Knives | Jointer Knives | Infinity Cutting Tools (http://www.infinitytools.com/COLT-MaxiCut-5-Pc-Forstner-Bit-Set/productinfo/101-160/)

They also have the 150mm extension doodad:

COLT 6" Forstner Bit Extender-Carbide Router Bits | Router Bit Sets | Shaper Cutters | Saw Blades | Planer Knives | Jointer Knives | Infinity Cutting Tools (http://www.infinitytools.com/COLT-6-Forstner-Bit-Extender/productinfo/101-166/)

Even allowing for freight, this ends up being about half the local price........:rolleyes:

Their price for the drills is pretty good too, so I might be tempted.

Mr Brush
2nd April 2010, 11:00 AM
ooh....for the turners, they also stock the MT adapter

COLT Morse Taper-Carbide Router Bits | Router Bit Sets | Shaper Cutters | Saw Blades | Planer Knives | Jointer Knives | Infinity Cutting Tools (http://www.infinitytools.com/COLT-Morse-Taper/products/1550/)

:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
2nd April 2010, 11:18 AM
ooh....for the turners, they also stock the MT adapter

COLT Morse Taper-Carbide Router Bits | Router Bit Sets | Shaper Cutters | Saw Blades | Planer Knives | Jointer Knives | Infinity Cutting Tools (http://www.infinitytools.com/COLT-Morse-Taper/products/1550/)

:2tsup:

Hmm, that must be a recent addition, as they didn't have that available when I ordered my bits from them.

TTIT
3rd April 2010, 12:36 AM
Hmm, that must be a recent addition, as they didn't have that available when I ordered my bits from them.Well worth getting DJ. With the MT adaptor, the 150mm extension and using a bit bigger in diameter than my tailstock spindle, I can drill to over 400mm deep - without a single grubscrew or slipping chuck :U:U:U

Groggy
6th June 2010, 10:51 PM
DJ, how would these go chewing dog holes through 130mm Jarrah? Are the entries and exits of the holes clean? Have you tried these with a drill?

DJ’s Timber
6th June 2010, 10:59 PM
I'll find out for you during the week, what size hole do you want me to try?

Test piece will be a sample of 150mm thick Jarrah that was dry when it came into my possession 8yrs ago

Groggy
6th June 2010, 11:11 PM
3/4" is the standard round dog hole - thanks mate!

DJ’s Timber
6th June 2010, 11:19 PM
Don't have a 3/4" bit, closest is a 7/8".

Will do a few holes with 7/8th bit and post pics of result soon :H

Groggy
6th June 2010, 11:24 PM
*pulls up a chair to wait* :thanx2:

(I have a friend of my daughter coming over from the US at the end of the month, she may be getting some extra luggage :D )

DJ’s Timber
12th June 2010, 11:27 AM
Test holes in 7/8th in 160mm Jarrah done with a hand drill. Had good control of drill at all times, no grabbing or drill trying to twist it self out of my hands. Just needed to keep pulling the bit out, to clear hole of shavings to prevent bit jamming.

First hole was clean entry with blow-out on exit as expected, which is normal for most drilling operations.

Second hole was clean entry with hardly any sign of blow-out due to using scrap to prevent blow-out, rough surface of test timber wouldn't have helped in this case.

Holes themselves are relatively clean and I believe that they are good enough for dog holes.

Images for you.

139162 139163 139164 139165 139166 139167 139168 139169

Groggy
12th June 2010, 12:25 PM
Aargh, my back! Been in that chair for a while :D

Thanks DJ, that is good news for me. Yesterday Kiwibrucee told me he was ordering some stuff from our mate Rob Lee so I piggybacked his order and have a 160mm extension and 3/4" bit on the way. Now I just need to make a simple jig to help get the holes nice and square.

As an aside, how easy is it to position the bit *exactly* and keep it running true?

Great pics btw, helped a lot. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
12th June 2010, 12:30 PM
Aargh, my back! Been in that chair for a while :D

Got sidetracked a few times :B, been a busy week :doh:

Now I just need to make a simple jig to help get the holes nice and square.

I may be able to help in this regard, will check further and get back to you

As an aside, how easy is it to position the bit *exactly* and keep it running true?

Very easy, it stayed exactly where I positioned it

DJ’s Timber
12th June 2010, 12:57 PM
Now I just need to make a simple jig to help get the holes nice and square.

I may be able to help in this regard, will check further and get back to you

OK, just dug this out, picked it up at a Garage Sale a while back, never been used.

It has 60mm travel, head can be rotated/lowered, so in theory you clamp the table to your timber top so that the drill travels at the back, bore first depth of 60mm, blow hole out, drop head so bit is at bottom of hole, then drill another 60mm or finish by hand.

Groggy
12th June 2010, 01:05 PM
That may well be one of the few in captivity that is worth owning. The rest of them are carp, but the Bosch is made in Germany (or used to be) and will probably be just what I need! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
12th June 2010, 02:14 PM
FWIW I just got a thick bit of hardwood and drilled a guide hole in it on the drill press.

Way back when I had a job drilling mount holes in steel roof trusses. Portable drill press with a magnetic base. Course would ain't ferrous :-{

Groggy
12th June 2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks Ern. On my current bench I did just as you suggest, however this bench is three times the thickness so I want to get them spot on.

Groggy
15th June 2010, 07:11 PM
I think Rob Lee has a space shuttle, the bits arrived this morning, four days from Canada! :oo:

These are very nicely machined with a cam-lock fit in the inner sleeve, beautifully concentric when locked. Glad I spent the extra, this will be perfect for doing the dog-holes in my bench.