PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Salad Bowl

Texian
29th January 2010, 01:11 PM
Seems kinda slow lately, so here's a walnut salad bowl, one of two commissioned by a client. It is about 14" x 5" (350 x 125), finished with a couple wipe-on coats of walnut oil. The bottom is laminated from six pieces, from quarter-sawn areas of the available timber, in order to minimize cross grain movement with changes in temp. and humidity. The wall thickness is substantial (about 11 mm), as the piece is intended to be used frequently, and for many years (I hope). Constructed with Titebond III (claims to be waterproof). C. & C. always welcome.

Ozkaban
29th January 2010, 03:37 PM
I really like that none. The walnut looks good segmented!

I guess the walnut oil was a good match too :2tsup:

Rum Pig
29th January 2010, 03:39 PM
Nice little bowl well done:2tsup::2tsup:

As Ozaban said good match of oil and timber:U

Ad de Crom
29th January 2010, 09:10 PM
Richard, this segmented bowl is really a nice one.
11mm wallthickness is for this bowl a good choice.
Will be recieved well.
Ad :2tsup:

powderpost
29th January 2010, 09:16 PM
Nice looking bowl, excellent joinery too. Functional too, but then all bowls have a function. I have been using walnut oil for utensils and salad bowls now for many years.
Jim

orificiam
29th January 2010, 10:17 PM
Well Done Richard I'm sure it will be well received by your client.
Cheers Tony.:U

Ed Reiss
30th January 2010, 01:16 PM
Nice size chilli bowl :D:D:D

Texian
30th January 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. My client and her husband both seemed well pleased with both bowls, so mission accomplished. Have some extra walnut and plan to make a couple more, same basic ordinary bowls but smaller (300 mm) with thinner walls (~9 mm) to have in inventory.

hughie
31st January 2010, 04:47 PM
Hmm some how I missed this one :doh:

Nice tight joints and great colour along with shape as well. :2tsup: great stuff walnut, down under we don't see that sort of colour too often if at all.

Texian
1st February 2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks Hughie. It's nothing special, but seemed like the forum was kinda slow for a couple days and wanted to contribute something.

Surely there is that color in some of your wonderful Aussie woods.

artme
2nd February 2010, 03:52 PM
like it Richard!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Texian
2nd February 2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks Artme. I appreciate your support.