PDA

View Full Version : live center problem

Daddy3x
29th January 2010, 02:09 PM
On my Powermatic lathe, the copper colored backing plate keeps loosening which allows play. When work is between centers, it tightens up and does not allow it to rotate. There are two holes for (spanner wrench?) that seem to correct it, but getting to them is what I cannot figure out. Fixes? I tightened it the best I could, then after a little turning, I cecked it and it worked itself out. I did finally resort to looking through the manual and found nothing.

Thanks
Scott

Gil Jones
29th January 2010, 03:00 PM
Hey, Scott,
Why not just call Powermatic Tech Support at 1-800-274-6848.
Gil

Rum Pig
29th January 2010, 04:01 PM
My live centre started to do the same thing the other day:~. I think mine is from GPW but probably the same design.
I tightened mine using 2 allen keys so far it is holding but having said that I have not done that much turning since:)

Ed Reiss
30th January 2010, 12:46 PM
Scott, sounds like what's needed to to tighten the rear holding plate is a c-clip pliers. They are like long nose pliers but have the ends bent perpendicular to the shaft.

Daddy3x
31st January 2010, 03:40 AM
Thanks all. I got hold of the tech support, one step up from useless. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Guy at the shop suggested a few drops of Loctite and the same pliers. I'll see how it holds.

Scott

hughie
31st January 2010, 09:40 AM
Guy at the shop suggested a few drops of Loctite and the same pliers. I'll see how it holds.

Scott, go for loctite 242 its one of the toughest, don't worry about getting it off down the track a little heat will soften it ok, around 60'c.

If all fails, CA will work just as good save you buying a bottle of Loctite that will most probably sit around for ever or even longer :D

Daddy3x
31st January 2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks Hughie. I set it and waited a few hours today. I roughed out a pair of 18" cherry blanks this evening and it was sitting tight still.

I will donate the Loctite and a brew to the maintenance guy at work , it's the least I could do for him for the steel he sets aside for me :U