PDA

View Full Version : Painting Bathroom Floor Tiles

nt900
1st September 2004, 10:02 PM
Has anyone had experience painting bathroom floor tiles? I know there are products like White Knight’s Tile Pait, but they seem to be targeted at wall tiles only. Suggestions anyone?

I am trying to come up with alternatives to removing the current unattractive bathroom tiles. I could run linoleum over them, but before I do that….. painting over them needs exploration.

echnidna
1st September 2004, 10:06 PM
If you took the glaze off them with some acid you should be able to paint them with paving paint.

nt900
1st September 2004, 10:10 PM
Sounds interesting. I am not overly familiar with the use of acid. Do you mean hydrochloric acid? Although not familiar with tis use, I happen to have 4 litres of it in the garage. What about sanding the glaze off it.

echnidna
1st September 2004, 10:16 PM
The trouble with sanding the tiles they are likely to end up misshapen. Spirits of Salts (hydrochloric) is what I meant. Ozwinner may be the one to ask about mix proportions as he WAS a brickie.

nt900
1st September 2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks echidna. I have PMed ozwinner for some assistance. Now I just have to work out my preference for the grout, as in do I want to paint the tiles and grout with the paving paint, then try and colour the grout again with a contrasting colour. Or just make it all white.

Ian007
1st September 2004, 10:36 PM
A good friend of mine had this done to his bathroom and toilet to cover up 70's green floor tiles about 18 months ago, but alas it was a waist of time and about 5 weeks ago we finished a total referb of his bathroom.
just in case you where wondering, the tiles where painted by professionals when he had them done. :eek:

cheers Ian :) :)

ozwinner
2nd September 2004, 08:33 AM
Hi

I couldnt see Spirits of Salts taking off the glaze, 'specialy if it is a vitrious glaze.
Spirits puts a realy nice shine on glass, so it would do the same to tiles.

Al

jackiew
2nd September 2004, 10:05 AM
Why don't you contact some of the paint companies direct and talk to them

e.g. for whiteknight contact details are

Customer Care Advisers
Phone 131 686
Fax 1800 676 746
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 8am to 7pm EST
Sat/Sun 9am to 4pm EST
Email [email protected]

JDub
2nd September 2004, 10:48 AM
My olds painted there entire ensuite with this tile paint, looks great on the walls but has started to chip off the floor, it cant handle too much wear.... they should have read the back of the tin:rolleyes:

I plan to use White Knight tile paint on the splash back tiles in my bathroom but am going to put up with the floor tiles till i can afford to rip em up and start again.

George
2nd September 2004, 03:23 PM
I doubt there is a paint solution for floors that will stand up to the wear and tear required for a bathroom environment. The only DIY option that I know of (White Knight) is recommended for vertical surfaces only.

You can get bathtubs resprayed professionally with good results but I wouldn't be confident about a floor.

George

Sturdee
2nd September 2004, 06:14 PM
I am trying to come up with alternatives to removing the current unattractive bathroom tiles. I could run linoleum over them.....

Or you could put new and attractive tiles straight on top of your existing tiles.

I did this in one of our bathrooms about 7 years ago as it was too much trouble to remove the old tiles. I used the mortar based stuff to fix them and haven't had any problems.

Peter.

MarkV
2nd September 2004, 06:40 PM
Sturdee's idea is the best so far. You may only have to trim the door for clearance and fit a new drainhole at the right level.. If you do this make sure you don't tile around the vanity as you will only cause to to rot faster. I have a mate who used Whiteknight on a bathtub looked like Crap!!. IMHO painting tiles is like painting laminate : only done by wankers on TV shows for a quick and dodgy fix. If you want it to look good do it properly the first time.

nt900
2nd September 2004, 07:22 PM
Now I think you are right MarkV, Sturdee's idea appeals. In my case, there is no drain in the floor, but I would like to lift up the cast iron pedestal basis to avoid any potential for rust. The only thing I don't like is the increased step up from the adjoining room (kitchen), but this isn't going to kill anyone. I will cost it out.

I did not previously mention, but this bloody tiled bathroom floor is laid over &^@#$^() asbestos cement sheeting. I hate that stuff. I hate to leave it in place, and I hate to remove it. Just hate the stuff. In theory I should remove the tiles and AC and lay new cement sheeting and new tiles down, but... did I mention... I hate removing the stuff.

Jacksin
2nd September 2004, 07:31 PM
I shouldnt think the step up from the adjoining room would be a problem as it would only be about 3mm of adhesive plus the thickness of the new tile. As for painting the floor YUK!
Jack ;)

Sturdee
2nd September 2004, 08:09 PM
In theory I should remove the tiles and AC and lay new cement sheeting and new tiles down, but... did I mention... I hate removing the stuff.

Anthony,

I first tried to remove them but they were the small 25mm *25mm tiles laid by myself 20 years earlier. After an hour trying to lift them and not succeeding very well I decided to leave them in place and tile over them.

Although the tile shop recommended scoring them with an angle grinder to help the mortar stick and stop the tiles moving ( :( ) I did not bother.

They have not moved or got loose in seven years since I did this. Height difference between the tiled floor and the carpeted hallway is 8mm. Not a problem in our case.

Peter.

nt900
2nd September 2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone for you thoughts on this. I see I am narrowing it down to two options. Live with and learn to love the current tiles. Although I do need to repair a patch and finding matching tiles may prove a problem. The second, bring the whole lot up, tiles and AC. Then again, tiling over still makes sense. That would be option three then. Aggghhhh , maybe I will build the kitchen this week and see what bathroom option appeals to me after I get over that little number.

Aangelique1611
5th May 2006, 12:48 PM
Just wondering what the outcome to this problem was? Im facing something similar myself and am exploring the idea of tiling over the present tiles if there is no paint option available as Im on a shoe string budget. Did you end up finding an appropriate solution?
A