PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Ian007
2nd September 2004, 08:48 AM
Me and a mate have been bulding some MDF cupboards and now it time to paint them. :eek:
I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to seal the edge of the boards to stop the paint getting soaked in. :confused:
I would like to be able to get the same finish on the edges as the rest. :D

thanks Ian :)

peardo
2nd September 2004, 08:56 AM
sanding sealer or mdf glue are both good make sure you give a quick sand before you paint

Ian007
2nd September 2004, 10:15 AM
is there a specific glue for MDF? or is it just the norm

Ian :)

Slavo
2nd September 2004, 10:21 AM
fine woodorking magazine had an article on MDF recently. I think they used a spakfilla/gyprock plaster type of thing. I dont have the mag with me but I'm sure thats what they used

Ian007
2nd September 2004, 10:24 AM
if they used this then i supose that car bog would be ok to use then.
what do you guys think :confused:

Ian

craigb
2nd September 2004, 10:44 AM
In the FWW article they used plasterboard jointing compound. The stuff you get premixed in the plastic buckets.

Marc
2nd September 2004, 10:45 AM
Sanding sealer is the proper thing to use, apply one coat, let dry, sand, give another coat, let dry, sand. Car bog or plaster will not penetrate the MDF and come off eventualy.
You signature saying "You are talking ****" isn't very nice... then again ...Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant

silentC
2nd September 2004, 11:06 AM
plaster will not penetrate the MDF and come off eventualy
Seems to stick to Gyprock OK...

MarkV
2nd September 2004, 12:07 PM
Pardon my ignorance here but the MDF I have used sands up the same all over. No need for bog etc. I take it that you mean old fashioned Chipboard?
If so one of those tubes of polyfilla premixed from the hardware store would be the cheapest and easiest option IMHO. As Silent said the stuff does stick like the proverbial **** to a blanket on Gyprock and DRY chipboard provides an even better surface to grip.

peardo
2nd September 2004, 12:16 PM
the biggest problem with MDF is that it eats paint. I have found sanding sealer best and that one coat is enough although I only make toys with MDF ie. dolls house , furniture. I originally used mdf glue as i had a drum of it I found it as good as if not better tham sanding sealer, just brushed it on like a coat of paint.

craigb
2nd September 2004, 12:25 PM
Same Fww article said to use oil based primer/undercoat as the MDF absorbs water based paints and goes "furry".

peardo
2nd September 2004, 12:46 PM
Craig it even seems to like a drink of oil based primer

Sprog
2nd September 2004, 12:49 PM
You could always use MDF primer :D :D :D

Termite
2nd September 2004, 01:00 PM
Edge filling: use watered down Timbermate filler then sand.
Painting: Always use a water based first coat, doesn't matter what you use after that.
Trust me.
Kind regards
Termite

MarkV
5th September 2004, 12:12 AM
Painting: Always use a water based first coat, doesn't matter what you use after that.
Trust me.
Kind regards
Termite
Why?

Kev Y.
5th September 2004, 08:35 AM
Why bother sealing the edges?, why not cut and fit small strips of timber(pine, tas oak) and use these as the door edges. then all you need to do is use a standard sealer,

MarkV is right, MDF maintains the same consistancy over all surfaces, Chipboard, compressed panel goes furry.

The sealer I would be inclined to use would be shellac, then sand and apply either a water based system or and oil based system

Kev ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Shane Watson
5th September 2004, 08:59 AM
Mirotone has a product specifically for this purpose. it was mirotone 802 from memory but knowing mirotone they've changed its product name several times :rolleyes:

From a commercial prospective we never used anything on the edes other than what we used on the surface. Which was a 2pk poly-u undercoat. Obviously we were painting them with 2-pk poly-u. Never had a problem with the edges. Just sanded them as normal and painted. Same with any profile grooves in the face, just sand and undercoat.

Rocker
5th September 2004, 09:17 AM
Ian,

Seeing that it is almost 40 years since I read literae humaniores, perhaps you could enlighten us about the meaning of your signature. The best approximation I could make was "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Rocker

Ian007
5th September 2004, 02:04 PM
Rocker

the spirit is weak, but the will is commendable

or so im told
I dont really know.

Cheers Ian :)

Marc
5th September 2004, 03:27 PM
Though the power be wanting, yet the wish is praiseworthy.
By Publius Ovidius Naso

Rocker
5th September 2004, 06:41 PM
Ian and Marc,
Thanks

Rocker

Difficilis, querulus, laudator temporis acti se puero.

jow104
5th September 2004, 07:01 PM
Am I thinking the same as you lot are thinking.

You dirty so and so's