PDA

View Full Version : Foot long finger!!!

TTIT
30th January 2010, 07:09 PM
Yes folks, the all new, super-duper, whizz-bang, Foot Long Finger has arrived :o:o:U. Thought I'd better give all those mexicans going to Groggy's tomorrow something to get them talking about me :;. The answer to your sanding woes Ern - or some of mine at least. I've never been happy with poking my fingers inside a spinning object but ya gotta get the job done, right! - crikey, the safety Nazis would have pink fits if they could see some of the things I've done :B:;. I made the MKI on Aussie day (fitting for an Aussie invention donchareckin??!!) but it was too big for the way I wanted to use it so I redid it all a bit smaller today. Not bad for a 5 cent paperclip and some scrap eh!
I know it's been done before with velcro and so on but that's not my choice of abrasive so I wanted something that would hold any type of paper - which the clip does nicely. The 6mm EVA foam gives the FLF about the same feel as a pinky so it conforms to the shape of the form fairly well - and it will reach to the bottom of any form with all my pinkies safely outside :U
Comments welcome and critique suffered for the sake of further development :;

bench1holio
30th January 2010, 07:15 PM
cracker!

Ad de Crom
30th January 2010, 08:27 PM
Look great. Sticking your fingers in a spinning hollow form is not so nice I reckon.
Is there any need, to developed this to a more versatile tool, or are the sanding results just fine.
Keep it in my mind.
Ad

TTIT
30th January 2010, 09:24 PM
..........Is there any need, to developed this to a more versatile tool, or are the sanding results just fine..........I already want to change the angle the head is mounted at so that more of the 'tail' is being applied to the surface which will let me use more of the paper - but it does work as it is :shrug:

Cliff Rogers
30th January 2010, 09:44 PM
:2tsup:

I bet it doesn't have the same feel as a cotton glove with a bit of Velcro stitched to the finger tip. :D

RETIRED
30th January 2010, 10:11 PM
Does it come in any other colour? :whistling2:

TTIT
30th January 2010, 10:40 PM
:2tsup:

I bet it doesn't have the same feel as a cotton glove with a bit of Velcro stitched to the finger tip. :DYou've gotta have a de-digiting wish to use that thing :o:o:o - I'll persist with this thing I reckon :shrug:

Does it come in any other colour? :whistling2::think:I've got some purple paint in the shed . . . . . . . . :think:or some yellow - Cliff likes my yellow paint :;

RETIRED
31st January 2010, 07:21 AM
you've gotta have a de-digiting wish to use that thing :o:o:o - i'll persist with this thing i reckon :shrug:

:think:i've got some purple paint in the shed . . . . . . . . :think:or some yellow - cliff likes my yellow paint :;:rofl:

Allen Neighbors
31st January 2010, 09:09 AM
Way to go!

wheelinround
31st January 2010, 09:27 AM
Vern well done you picked up Hughie's glove and came through tops.:2tsup:

now to adapt further shapes for particular jobs

Finger shape needs more form not just flat oval shaped

what about a dome shape Ern :;

Ed Reiss
31st January 2010, 01:03 PM
good deal TT :2tsup:

hmmmmm....wonder how a couple of hamsters with abrasive pads on the paws would work :no::no:

artme
31st January 2010, 02:51 PM
Looks like my next trip to foreign parts might be Emerald.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

hughie
31st January 2010, 04:16 PM
I see you've added further articulation to it. :2tsup: Do the pop rivets cause any drama protruding into the foam and the sandpaper?

In answer to wheelin question re dome shape to the head, just form the foam to the require shape and problem solved.

Tony Morton
31st January 2010, 04:16 PM
Hi TTIT

This is the Simon Hope version I purchased in England in 2005 for 8pounds about twenty dollers then works ok your version shows ingenuity and maybe the head could be adapted to suit what looks like the Rolley hollowing tool .

cheers Tony

Gil Jones
31st January 2010, 04:49 PM
Hey, Vern, it looks like a good sander :2tsup:, and could be better that a yanked off finger too.
When yer not sanding with it, bolt on a teardrop cutter.
Gil

nine fingers
31st January 2010, 04:56 PM
Hey Vern, A foot long finger, wouldn't like my GP to get on of those:o. John

TTIT
31st January 2010, 08:00 PM
I see you've added further articulation to it. :2tsup: Do the pop rivets cause any drama protruding into the foam and the sandpaper?

In answer to wheelin question re dome shape to the head, just form the foam to the require shape and problem solved.Yup - added a link to allow it to get further under a lip but should have set the flats at 90 degress to get the long side of the paper working - will make another link as soon as I get another 4mm tap :B:B:B. You can't even feel the rivet heads once you put paper on the rig. The EVA foam is real easy to shape against a sander so doming it wouldn't be a problem but in testing it so far, the foam allows the paper to conform to the shape without any further attention :shrug:

..........hmmmmm....wonder how a couple of hamsters with abrasive pads on the paws would work :no::no:Our answer to hamsters down here are known as wombats :; Just a little on the big side for the forms I create :o

hughie
31st January 2010, 08:39 PM
- a
dded a link to allow it to get further under a lip but should have set the flats at 90 degress to get the long side of the paper working - will make another link as soon as I get another 4mm tap :B:B:B. You can't even feel the rivet heads once you put paper on the rig. The EVA foam is real easy to shape against a sander so doming it wouldn't be a problem but in testing it so far, the foam allows the paper to conform to the shape without any further attention :shrug:

No worries, darn 4mm taps can be a bit tricky. As to changes on the run, :U I 've got heaps all over of less than successful mods and ideas. Sometimes....only sometimes, I get to use them on something else. :C :U

rodent
1st February 2010, 12:02 AM
MM broken taps ? use as turning tips mmm