PDA

View Full Version : best glue for spotted gum

Mick72
30th January 2010, 08:03 PM
Hi guys, I have some spotted gum and am considering glueing up a table top with it, what is the best glue for spotted gum as it appears to be really oily? Is Titebond 3 good enough? Also the timber seems to have checked in a number of spots and was wondering what was the best way to deal with that?
Thanks

Waldo
30th January 2010, 10:27 PM
Titebond 3 is all I've used on stuff I've made from s/gum - almost a 1 1/2/ cubes worth so far.

Mick72
2nd February 2010, 06:35 PM
Titebond 3 sounds like the go then. Waldo have you had any problems with checking along the figure of the spotted gum and if you have how did you deal with it.

thanks mick

Waldo
2nd February 2010, 08:06 PM
Do you mean checking at the ends, or are you referring to splits running with the grain?

If the former, then no. Except to write that if any ends had slight checking I figured this into the total length I needed from the timber yard. Besides I always dock the ends of at 90º on the c/saw.

If the later, then sometimes yes after severe hot days. Sometimes this was too much to consider using the timber and it became firewood. Where is was only very slight and didn't cause or look like causing the timber to lose its integrity I would fill it will resin, much like you would with a gum vein.

TomH
2nd February 2010, 10:09 PM
I used AV180 for my spotty coffee table. 3 years on and no problems. I get a fair bit of movement with humidity on the table top - it's held down by buttons but still manages to pull up by 1mm or so when it dries out.

Mick72
3rd February 2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys, yer i meant splitting running along the grain. What type of resin did you use? Is spotted gum suitable for outdoors, I am guessing that it is considering how dense and oily it is.

Waldo
3rd February 2010, 09:54 AM
I've only ever used Diggers Resin which you can easily buy from Bunnies.

Can't see why it wouldn't be suitable for outdoors, what finish you might use on the thing you are making I don't know.