PDA

View Full Version : Passing thoughts on my intro to using a lathe

cultana
31st January 2010, 01:55 AM
Well after a brief intro to a wood lathe this is a few passing thoughts.
There are more but not prntable...

1. When roughing initially wear a face shield. They never tell you about being showered in wood chips.

2. If you wear a shirt do it up at the collar as well. Them little wood chips get everywhere.

3. Do up your shirt pockets else they fill up with wood chips.

4 Even if it looks stupid wear you shirt back to front saves a lot of wood chips down you front, but the number that manage to get down you back increases 10 fold.
(hint: wear a T-shirt under a shirt saves a lot of problems).

5. Never enter the house after doing a bit of lathe work. You may have removed all the wood shavings, dust etc, but they are a sneaky bunch, wood shavings, and still enter the house. You are now in big doo doo!:(

6. What ever speed you think you should be using its going to be wrong.

7. If the lathe has a tool try below the bed, don’t put anything there you want quickly. Its going to be buried in wood shaving fast so you won’t find what you want.:doh:

8 If you have a lathe with variable cones for speed changes don’t look in the instructions to see how to change the belt when it breaks as that is not part of the instruction manual. It is in the guess and god section that did not include. :no:

9. You are always told to have your chisels sharp. But if you cut your finger just touching the now sharp chisel its too dam sharp. :oo:

10. New chisels sets are bound to be blunt even if you think they are sharp. Also the factory grind is probably way off.

11. Because every one says it difficult to use there is some mystique about the skew chisel so its going to scare the crap out of you. And it will. It always digs in just as you think you are doing great.

When I got my lathe and finally sharpened the chisels I just used the roughing gouge and the skew chisels. I did some nice coves and beads and with almost no probs. Then someone suggested I should use that thin gouge chisel to do these. Now I can’t do coves or beads, just a set of nasty gouges..:o

SawDustSniffer
31st January 2010, 02:14 AM
good to see your all ready addicted :2tsup:

brendan stemp
31st January 2010, 08:04 AM
One more to add to your list.

Don't talk and turn at the same time; if you do you will end up with a mouth full of wood chips.

tea lady
31st January 2010, 08:44 AM
:D

I where a shirt inside out.

Allen Neighbors
31st January 2010, 09:01 AM
Turn naked... then just blow the chips away with a blast of air. :D

Welcome to the addiction, cultana. :U

hughie
31st January 2010, 09:29 AM
naked... then just blow the chips away with a blast of air. :D

works for me.... well from the waist up anyway :U

welcome aboard, one warning tho' , the inmates have taken over. :D

Pat
31st January 2010, 10:32 AM
Turn naked... then just blow the chips away with a blast of air. :D

Welcome to the addiction, cultana. :U

hughie Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> naked... then just blow the chips away with a blast of air. http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
works for me.... well from the waist up anyway :U

welcome aboard, one warning tho' , the inmates have taken over. http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gifNo the most attractive of propositions in my case, especially turning burls with bark on. Full body protection required:U

wheelinround
31st January 2010, 12:59 PM
No the most attractive of propositions in my case, especially turning burls with bark on. Full body protection required:U

Pat's sheild

http://www.allproducts.com/security/fortress-1/30-loho_riot_shield-l.jpg

Ed Reiss
31st January 2010, 01:10 PM
Well after a brief intro to a wood lathe this is a few passing thoughts.
There are more but not prntable...

1. When roughing initially wear a face shield. They never tell you about being showered in wood chips.

2. If you wear a shirt do it up at the collar as well. Them little wood chips get everywhere.

3. Do up your shirt pockets else they fill up with wood chips.

4 Even if it looks stupid wear you shirt back to front saves a lot of wood chips down you front, but the number that manage to get down you back increases 10 fold.
(hint: wear a T-shirt under a shirt saves a lot of problems).

5. Never enter the house after doing a bit of lathe work. You may have removed all the wood shavings, dust etc, but they are a sneaky bunch, wood shavings, and still enter the house. You are now in big doo doo!:(

6. What ever speed you think you should be using its going to be wrong.

7. If the lathe has a tool try below the bed, don’t put anything there you want quickly. Its going to be buried in wood shaving fast so you won’t find what you want.:doh:

8 If you have a lathe with variable cones for speed changes don’t look in the instructions to see how to change the belt when it breaks as that is not part of the instruction manual. It is in the guess and god section that did not include. :no:

9. You are always told to have your chisels sharp. But if you cut your finger just touching the now sharp chisel its too dam sharp. :oo:

10. New chisels sets are bound to be blunt even if you think they are sharp. Also the factory grind is probably way off.

11. Because every one says it difficult to use there is some mystique about the skew chisel so its going to scare the crap out of you. And it will. It always digs in just as you think you are doing great.

When I got my lathe and finally sharpened the chisels I just used the roughing gouge and the skew chisels. I did some nice coves and beads and with almost no probs. Then someone suggested I should use that thin gouge chisel to do these. Now I can’t do coves or beads, just a set of nasty gouges..:o

imagine that...you learned all that stuff with just a brief intro, takes others years :o

Welcome to the money-pit addiction :D

artme
31st January 2010, 02:48 PM
Good on you Cultana!! Great set of rules you've draw up there.

Turning will suck you right in - so watch it but have fun.

stuffy
31st January 2010, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Allen Neighbors;1104340]Turn naked... then just blow the chips away with a blast of air. :D

Watch out for those banksia nut chips, they really sting.

Ad de Crom
31st January 2010, 10:06 PM
Cultana, you are a preacher man for woodturners, everything said so well :)
Ad

cultana
31st January 2010, 10:43 PM
:D

I where a shirt inside out.

Bit obvious TL. "My hands are full could you get that ‘whatever’ from my shirt pocket?" :-
Naughty naughty!! :D
I would try it but some how it I doubt it would have the same reaction!! :C

cultana
31st January 2010, 10:46 PM
Cultana, you are a preacher man for woodturners, everything said so well :)
Ad

Not so, I think I might just stay on that bridge between the dark and enlightened sides of woodwork it is safer.
I got directed to tuning by that person 'whose name shall not be spoken'..:wink:

cultana
31st January 2010, 10:48 PM
A few I left off but relevant:

12. Don’t leave the excellent test/practise bits lying about.. SWMBO will see them faster than light speed and say; “When you make those chairs that would look nice!” What chairs! When did that happen!! :doh:

13. All bits of wood end up as toothpicks and that is without trying to make a toothpick.

14. 10 minutes if turning a bit of wood is 50 plus minutes of cleaning up after. Totally a discriminate time balance here. :?

Now the really sad part is no one tells you about all this till after the event of buying one of these lathes. It is just unfair.

Yes you get all the good drum on what to buy etc but not the down side.
Someone has to speak out for the sanity of all new comers.
Heck let them find out themselves, I did :U

rodent
31st January 2010, 11:01 PM
15 When you've just about finished and it just needs a touch more . Then it goes flying out of the chuck to be smashed against the wall .