PDA

View Full Version : Rose Petals

MBUMIK
31st January 2010, 09:51 PM
i had a play with rose petals this weekend

i collected some from SWMBOs rose garden a couple of weeks ago, i should have asked first though:doh: - mental note for next time:U

i dried them in the micro wave, left them for a couple of weeks and dried them again just to make sure

i cast them in resin with just a hint of white pearl pearlex to give a bit of swirls, the resin worked well, very happy, i intend to paint the tubes before glueing when/if i get this right

the problem was the rose petals were deep red before casting, now they are a pinkish brown due to color loss in the resin, i would like to retain the original color

i have a couple in the shed which i have dipped in WOP to see if that will stop the color leakage

interested in any other ideas you may have

thanks for reading

MIK

texx
31st January 2010, 10:23 PM
interesting mik .
i have been going to try and cast some lucerne leaf and flower into a pen as a gift for a friend of mine .
i do know that to hold the green colour in lucerne a bit better a light spray with weak potassium solution just as it is cut works , some lucerne growers do it . we dont because some race horses are sensitive to it and it would stuff up our quality assurance .
when sprayed with the mix its called K-hay i think .
i wonder if a florist could shed any light on making flower colours more stable or a nursery man .
you could dunk em in beetroot juice that stuff is bomb proof once dried .

gawdelpus
1st February 2010, 03:38 PM
My wife has a rose fetish I think hehe, luckily we don't grow any so she is content with pictures (thank goodness) hehe, more possabilities open up all the time .May have to try some die on the petals to enrich the color, But good efforts so far :) :2tsup: cheers ~ John

munruben
1st February 2010, 05:56 PM
Looks great MIK. Will be interesting to see if anyone can come up with a solution.:2tsup:

dai sensei
1st February 2010, 08:27 PM
Interesting effect :cool:

They add a special powder when drying flowers professionally I thought - I know at my last wedding (:rolleyes::doh:) they wanted around $500 to "preserve" ours. That could have included the wedding rip-off factor though :U

It will be interesting to see if they brown off in time, afterall, they are still organic.