PDA

View Full Version : Bugger, a bigger one.

RETIRED
1st February 2010, 02:58 PM
:D

Wooden Masts - Spars - Booms - Gaffs: Custom-Turned for Boats and Ships (http://www.thesparshop.org/)

Rum Pig
1st February 2010, 03:13 PM
That's not big :C:U:U
Do you think it is big enough to get a pen blank out of it:?:D

watson
1st February 2010, 03:27 PM
and.....size isn't everything sweetheart :rotfl:

tea lady
1st February 2010, 06:31 PM
But its yellow. :C You don't want a yellow one.:doh::D (Wonder who cleans up all their shavings. :think: )

dai sensei
1st February 2010, 08:00 PM
But they are not turning by hand, it is a router or something on a travelling rail, that's cheating so doesn't count :U

joe greiner
1st February 2010, 09:24 PM
If I'd known about this when I resided in Washington State, I might still be there.

Cheers,
Joe

brendan stemp
1st February 2010, 10:34 PM
good to see they are still making them just like they did in the old days!!!

Waldo
1st February 2010, 11:11 PM
Bugger.

TTIT
2nd February 2010, 12:07 AM
Not a chisel in sight :~ - doesn't count.:;

Allen Neighbors
2nd February 2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for posting. No Chisels in sight? Yep. Bottom line is the bottom line. :D

artme
2nd February 2010, 03:50 PM
good to see they are still making them just like they did in the old days!!!

Did they make 'em that way in the old days , or did they just get the straightest tree in sight, knock off the branches and set to with axes and draw knives? Would be interesting to know.

RETIRED
2nd February 2010, 04:59 PM
Have a look around the site and all will be revealed.:wink::D

hughie
2nd February 2010, 07:53 PM
I wonder what the seasoning process is? The inference seems to be, cut it down and turn it.:?

brendan stemp
2nd February 2010, 08:23 PM
Did they make 'em that way in the old days , or did they just get the straightest tree in sight, knock off the granches and set to with axes and draw knives? Would be interesting to know.

I wasn't being serious

artme
2nd February 2010, 09:20 PM
Had a look at the remains of an old mast at Port Stanley in the Falklands. Bit hard to tell with all the weathering and so on but it seemed to have been made as I suggested.

There were plenty of what I would call split rings all the way up the mast. These seemed to be used to both holg equipment and to prevent the mast from splitting. They could be tightened onto the timber by tightening the nuts on either side.