PDA

View Full Version : More doggie help

Shedhand
3rd February 2010, 09:34 PM
My pup, Missy, is growing. Nearly 10 months old.
Got a question about her.
Her little sex bits are swollen and she's leaking blood on me and the furniture. Been going on for a week now.
1. How long does this go on?
2. How often does it happen?
3. Does it mean she's on heat (she keeps backin' up to the crippled old Labrador next door (he's had his goolies lopped so he's harmless - but very confused)? or;
4. Is she sick?
5. Should I let her have a litter before I get her spayed?
6. When is a good age to get her spayed.
7. Will spaying change her temperament (she's very active and friendly) - I wouldn't want her to end up a sour old spinster.

I ask here because I can't afford a vet (I'm told they're more expensive than a plastic surgeon).
Thanks for any advice.
Sheddie in the Shed.

wheelinround
3rd February 2010, 09:49 PM
Mike get her to a Vet ASAP I've never known a female to do that.
She may have been had by a bigger dog and ripped and if the pups are from a bigger dog she could die.

Shedhand
3rd February 2010, 10:50 PM
She may have been had by a bigger dog and ripped and if the pups are from a bigger dog she could die.Oh crap! Don't tell me that. Geez I keep her with me all the time. 4 mates have big male dogs but they all "fixed". Better take to the vet then. Damn damn damn. Always somethin'.:(:(:(

tea lady
3rd February 2010, 10:55 PM
:shrug: I think that's what happens when they are on heat. About a week is about how long it goes for. I think it happens every 6 months or so. But don't quote me on that as I am just trying to remember from when my Mum's dog use to have pups.

Don't let her have pups unless you want to. It can be quite expensive. And you have to find places for them.

People usually get their bitches spayed before the first heat but any time is OK. It can cost more if they are actually on heat at the time. It should not change her temperament at all. I think getting a male dog fixed can quiten them down a bit. But it doesn't change females at all.

:)

tea lady
3rd February 2010, 10:59 PM
She may have been had by a bigger dog and ripped and if the pups are from a bigger dog she could die.:no: I reckon its just normal. That's what happens when they are on heat. Can be a bit messy. (If it was a wound I don't reacon it would still be bleeding. )

Shedhand
3rd February 2010, 11:07 PM
It doesn't look like she's torn or anything to my untrained eye. She runs around like a blue arsed fly all day and doesn't seem sick. I'll give the RSPCA a call and get a chit for spaying then take her to the vet. If she hasn't stopped bleeding (more spotting than bleeding) by Saturday I'll take her then. Hang the expense, she's me best mate.
Thanks TL and Wheeler.
Mike

tea lady
3rd February 2010, 11:25 PM
She'll just be Messy Missy for a while.:D (I've got a Jack Russle. Great little dogs. :2tsup: )

Woodwould
4th February 2010, 08:03 AM
She's on heat and it's perfectly normal.

I've had close to twenty five bitches and, with the exception of one, I've always let them have at least one litter (we bred an Australian champion which was featured on Burke's Back Yard and Dr. Harry's Practice).

If going this route (pun intended), let her miss her first two heats before putting her to a sire so she can mature a little. A litter of pups makes for a more settled dog with a better temperament, but there is the issue of finding homes for the pups and the cost of having them vaccinated etc.

We currently have a bitch that was spayed without having pups and she's now a wound-up neurotic typhoon on legs. It's totally spoilt her.

wheelinround
4th February 2010, 09:19 AM

I've had close to twenty five bitches and, with the exception of one, I've always let them have at least one litter (we bred an Australian champion which was featured on Burke's Back Yard and Dr. Harry's Practice).

If going this route (pun intended), let her miss her first two heats before putting her to a sire so she can mature a little. A litter of pups makes for a more settled dog with a better temperament, but there is the issue of finding homes for the pups and the cost of having them vaccinated etc.

We currently have a bitch that was spayed without having pups and she's now a wound-up neurotic typhoon on legs. It's totally spoilt her.

Thank's for clearing some of that up WW although we have never had a bitch my aunt's dad and I could not recall it ever happening, or with my son's. I have how ever seen what takes place when small bitches have been had by bigger dogs and it sounded similar especially as Mike said it had gone on for more than a week.

Shedhand
4th February 2010, 04:17 PM

We currently have a bitch that was spayed without having pups and she's now a wound-up neurotic typhoon on legs. It's totally spoilt her.Thanks for the info WoodWould. Feeling better now! I'd like her to have a litter when she's a bit older. I'd have no trouble placing the pups cos they go like hot-cakes around where I live. Like you say, vaccinations are the cost killer but I'd sell them for the cost of the vac (average price for a Jack Russell pup is 300 bucks) so I don't think I'd have a problem finding good homes- with large yards for them - at the cost of vacs whatever that may be.
Cheers
Mike
Sheddie in the Shed

ShazL
22nd February 2010, 02:40 AM
Yup, on heat...my bitch is too....Mine bleeds for nearly 2 wks, but quite often has a 'phantom' pregnancy about a month or so after she stops, she gets moochy, starts nesting, leaks milk and other stuff.

Mine is a 2 1/2 yr old rotti. She is on heat every 6 mths, like clockwork. We are looking into breeding her soon, the recommendation is after the bitch is 2 yrs old, I cant remember the reason....

Good luck

ShazL