PDA

View Full Version : 21" excalibur scroll saw

stumpy72
4th February 2010, 08:10 PM
Hi im interested in purchasing a scroll saw for doing marquetry been looking at the excalibur 21" does anyone have one if so what are they like? thanks

jcousins
12th February 2010, 02:47 PM
i have the 30" but i think they are about the same. it is a good saw. i moved from a hegner and the big difference is that the hegner's table tilts whiel the xcalibur's head tilts - so the xcalibur is great for larger pieces - not fighting gravity. i d find that i break more blades now - just can't seem to get the tension thing quite right. but all in all a very good saw.
jerry

stumpy72
12th February 2010, 09:11 PM
thanks Jerry what do you mainly use your saw for ?

jcousins
13th February 2010, 02:27 AM
hi stumpy - i use the saw for marquetry - double bevel cutting method
a link to some of my work
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://s464.photobucket.com/home/jcousins46)
jerry

Nanigai
14th February 2010, 10:40 AM
Hi Jerry,
Just had a look at your work on photobucket, I just have one comment..
.WOW:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers, Ian

stumpy72
14th February 2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Jerry thanks for the information and link . Your work is fantastic , i have ordered my scroll saw now so i hope with alot of practice i can get good at using it like you have. Do you know of any books that i could read that show you the process of double bevel cutting? I have a few books on marquetry but most use the window method and using a blade to cut the pieces, I have a book and dvd of Silas Kopf and that got me interested in using a scroll saw as that is what he uses though he doesnt go into detail on the process of double bevel cutting. Any information would be great thanks
Peter..

jcousins
14th February 2010, 01:52 PM
the set up i use - uses 5/64 veneers - so these are all home cut - i don't think you can by them commercially. the best book i know about this system is craig stevens' "the art of marquetry"
enjoy your new saw
jerry