PDA

View Full Version : Sidchrome spanner models, sets and history

ash233
5th February 2010, 08:22 AM
Hi all, ive been searching with not much luck to try and find a resource that gives some information on when sidchrome produced each style of spanner (the made in australia variants....vintage variants etc) and what sets they were sold in etc as they do confuse me with sizing sometimes as some of the ring or OE spanners are odd sizes and they seem to double up on a size within what seems to be a set as well as skip sizes on the same spanner (ie the 2 sizes will not be adjacent to each other in the standard sizes available). Any help or ideas would be great.

Cheers

Ash

Zsteve
5th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Ash, there's a few resources available. If you are lucky enough you may find some old catalogues which give spanner sets and types, toolboxes etc. I only recently sold one.

For history on sidchrome - If you are familiar with the Hand tool preservation association they have done a few articles on them back in 2006 and 2005 in their Magazine/newsletter #81 and #78HTPAA :: HTPAA Tool Chest Contents (http://www.htpaa.org.au/tc-total.php)

You can also read "a spanner in the works" by John Siddons.

I may have a photocopy of the article in #81 but would have to find it.

Regards
Steve

ash233
6th February 2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info steve, i would love a copy of the articles you mentioned. Would have been great to see the catalogue too but oh well :)

I might have to contact HTPAA and see if i can get a copy of the ones you mentioned.

Cheers

Wongdai
6th February 2010, 09:06 PM
Are old spanners worth anything? I've got loads in my shed that must be 50-100 years old at least.

ash233
7th February 2010, 07:42 AM
Hi wongdai, it appears they can be of value.....the sidchrome spanners made in australia bring reasonable money if in good condition. I am attempting to replace some missing spanners in my grandfathers set so it is complete, if you have any let me know and i could be interested.

Cheers

stuffy
7th February 2010, 06:43 PM
Hi Ash,

Restoring your grandfather's tool set is a noble quest. Any type of tool has special meaning when it's got a family history.

No doubt many other members have old sidchrome tools in their toolboxes, I tend to grab anything with that name on at garage sales etc. If you can post some pics of the style of spanner and sizes we can have a look at what we've got and decide if we can part with them! :)

Ya canna hand a man a grander spanner.