PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Bullet casings and Projectiles

Dorno
5th February 2010, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know where you can purchase bullet casings and also projectiles. I want .308 shells and around 140grain hollow point Projectiles boat-tail or normal I am loking at trying to make some pens myself.

Thanks Ian

texx
5th February 2010, 09:56 PM
mate you need to have a gun owners licence to purchase ammunition components thanks to mr howard .
in queensland anyway , dont know about the other states

Dorno
5th February 2010, 10:12 PM
Not good then I will have to look to find a way around this problem. I am sure someone out there can help me (lol)

Thanks Ian

arose62
5th February 2010, 10:12 PM
Some sporting shops sell them. In NSW so far I've been told that there is no need for a licence.

The shells are sold in bags of a few hundred (usually 500) for more money than I want to spend. Projectiles come in boxes of twenty-ish.

I was hoping to get projectile_crimped_into_casing, but so far all the shops and the reloaders that they know, haven't bothered getting back to me.

In NSW, i've been told by the ammo sellers that you only need a licence if you buy something containing gunpowder.

Cheers,
Andrew

texx
5th February 2010, 10:33 PM
yeah i think it is different state by state , its ok to buy if it is inert in some states .
i am not quite sure how the law reads in qld but i do know that when i buy projectiles and primers for my rifles i have to show my licence .
once the case and bullet have been drilled they should be ok i would think because they are no longer usable to reload with .
maybe they only want to see my licence because of the primers bit hard to shoot some thing with a primer though

gawdelpus
5th February 2010, 11:04 PM
I go to a large gunstore in east brisbane and new casings are ok to buy also projectiles .no licence needed for these :) I don't have one in any case hehe, cheers ~ John

MBUMIK
6th February 2010, 12:19 AM
as far as i know gun licencing laws are the same Australia wide (could be wrong, i shoot bows and arrows)

i can go into the sports store here and purchase - shells, projectiles, gunpowder and primers, i didn't ask about the press to put it all together, but having no gun licence i can't buy made up bullets

stupid if you ask me

if there is a gun/sport store around you that sells this sort of thing go and ask them, take a couple of bullet pens to show them and they may even trade

i asked about 30-06 Brass shells and they were $76 for 50, thats from memory

hope this helps

ciscokid
6th February 2010, 12:23 AM
You guys need a license? Over here they give handguns away with every purchase of a new car! :D

Not really, but pretty darn close. :U

MBUMIK
6th February 2010, 12:37 AM
for pistols you have to hold a collectors license or be a pistol club member and even then there are other qualifications required

texx
6th February 2010, 07:36 AM
sorry mate but the laws are different from state to state .
for instance in qld i can store my guns in a wooden cupboard if i wish as long as it has a good lock and bolted to the floor and wall . in nsw it must be an approved steel gun safe with a given number of locking points and approved hinges , and it goes on and on and on

ozhunter
6th February 2010, 11:10 AM
Gun laws in Oz suck and it has made zero diffewrence to the gun crime rate IMO. Crooks still have, and will continue to get, guns at will. Thanks Johnny:smack:

As to the shells. If it looks like a gun, it's a gun (replica's) If it is a component of a round (projectile, case, powder, primer) it is a round. That's why collectors have to have a collectors licence, even for inert rounds. I wouldn't be prepared to take the risk.

Even the shop owners who sell those godawfull key ring rounds are in contravention of gun laws, but for the most part they are ignored - until you try to get on a plane with one on your key ring :o - not me BTW

robbo266317
6th February 2010, 12:13 PM
Here in NSW the police come and check your safe is up to scratch and secured properly to the building. Mine weighs nearly 100kg.
It is handy though, I have a regular safe bolted to the top to keep valuables in and we were burgled last june and they didn't get any of the jewelery or coin collection stored in it.

munruben
6th February 2010, 12:21 PM
I buy .308 shell casings here in Brisbane for $57.95 for a packet of 50. I dont have a gun licence and as far as I know you dont need one to purchase unprimed cases. I was not asked by the retailer if I had a licence or if I had a gun. Ask at your local gun shop.