PDA

View Full Version : Golf...should I or shouldn't I

flame.on
6th February 2010, 09:00 PM
Hey guys and gals,
I am been thinking for the past while, should I start playing golf. Some of my friends play golf and they say that it helps relax yourself and helps you think clearly. But they also say it can get frustrating, I don't see how this works, if anyone wants to explain this it would be appreciated?
But all in all, should I start playing golf, and if I do what set of clubs do I buy, and where from?
Sorry for all the questions, Im just curious about golf and considering playing it.
Cheers,
Flame.on

Calm
7th February 2010, 09:04 AM
Golf is great for relaxation.

When i was working in the office (going mad from stress) i found a walk around the golf course very relaxing,

The exercise does you good and the concentration on hitting the ball and then finding it kept my mind off the things that caused the stress.

Now there is frustration at not being able to hit it properly but with golf you only ever play yourself - that is why they have handicaps so 2 people can walk around together and regardless of ability -- taking the handicap into account the scores at the end of the day canbe the same.

My golf now is about the walk fir exercise and the "bulshyte/stirring" each other that goes wiith it. Casual, relaxing and fun between a couple of mates - we dont even bothjer keeping the scores anymore.

I also play mopst "golf charity days" in ballarat - costs about $100 each - ther money goes to a good cause and they are always am "ambrose" event which makes it even more fun.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Calm
7th February 2010, 09:22 AM
Hey guys and gals,
.............should I start playing golf, and if I do what set of clubs do I buy, and where from?

You can hire clubs from most golf course "Pro shop" - buying clubs is something that you can rarely sell and get your money back if you don't like it - so sometimes a set from the local "under $100" section can-be a good starting point. for a beginner you want "cavity back" clubs - all that means is the back of the club head is hollowed - it gives a bigger "sweet spot" to hit the ball on.

I would suggest you just hire or borrow some for a start to see how you like it - it is surprising how hard it is to hit a little ball consistently. Just remember more players take over 100 hits to play teh 18 holes evven though par is only 72 - so if you get around 100 - 120 you are just normal - under 100 and you can tell yourself you can play a bit.

Hope that helps

Cheers

RedShirtGuy
7th February 2010, 09:39 AM
Save yourself the frustration and go for a walk in some nice grassy parkland and throw away $3 every 400 metres. That's how my golf game tends to go anyway :wink:

I guess as long as you don't beat yourself up on bad shots or try to be overly competitive it is a nice day out walking with mates in some usually well looked after scenery. The fresh air and light exercise does the ol' brain chemicals quite a bit of good.

Mr Brush
7th February 2010, 10:08 AM
If you finish a round with the same number of golf balls you started out with, I'd call that a success. If they are the SAME balls that you started with......so much the better :rolleyes:

That's always been my problem.

flame.on
7th February 2010, 06:21 PM
Seems I will hire out some clubs from my local golf course next weekend and see if I like it. Then I'll wait and see what I think of it before I decide whether I want to get some clubs and keep playing or not.

Mr Brush
7th February 2010, 06:53 PM
You don't need many clubs to get started.....just a Whacker, a Thumper, and a Dinker (I think those are the correct terms......:D)

For more tricky courses, you may also require a Mud Wedge, and a Tree Iron...

See - nothing to it !!

mjmjm
7th February 2010, 07:38 PM
I played golf once. Bored outta me brain. But there must be something in it because so many people like it. Ditto for fishin -- once was enough.

Dengue
7th February 2010, 08:14 PM
Why would you want to do this to yourself. Just look at the number of angry displays , club throwing, abusive language, impatient players behind you.

Side bets are quite common. There is no such thing as a relaxing game of golf as you mishit a drive or a putt, criss-crossing the fairway with slices and hooks, gouging your ball out of a sand bunker.

Then you have to deal with the imaptient people behind you.

the biggest problem is getting a suitable time to play at a decent course. Some of these clubs require you to have a membership application from birth.

The real joy of golf is actually hitting a screaming drive 400 metres straight down the fairway, or sinking a 10 metre putt on a wildly undulating green. But let's get real, these moments are extremely rare. It gets so frustrating :( It is only the A graders and the pros who can consistently hit a straight ball down the centre of the fairway. The rest of us mere mortals drift from side to side, sometimes on to the next fairway :)

Go for a long walk instead.

mjmjm
7th February 2010, 08:25 PM
Seems I will hire out some clubs from my local golf course next weekend and see if I like it. Then I'll wait and see what I think of it before I decide whether I want to get some clubs and keep playing or not.

Mmmm. Sounds like flame.on is a pretty wise young man.

Allan at Wallan
8th February 2010, 08:18 PM
I have played many sports so believe I have some valid
advice for you.

When I was younger I played golf by hitting the ball as far
as possible then go and look for it.

As I got older, and wiser, I took up cricket. I found I could
whack the ball as hard as I could and some other fool could
run after it.

Makes sense - give up the golf right now.:D

Allan

Geoff Dean
9th February 2010, 05:36 AM
I played golf once. Bored outta me brain. But there must be something in it because so many people like it.

Maybe he is trying to meet some nice girls. :rolleyes:

Horsecroft88
12th February 2010, 01:44 PM
On a golf course !!! :? Can't imagine that is likely. Nah mate, don't worry about golf, that is for your retirement along with lawn bowls !!! :D If you want a game to de-stress yourself, tax the brain but have a lot of fun with, but is definitely designed to confuse the most level headed player, take up Real Tennis (Royal Tennis).

I know as I have been playing this for the past 13 years and am still pretty crap at but I still enjoy the challenge, and you might even get to meet a girl or two, though not young girls, well mostly not ! Mind you, it is only played in Hobart, Melbourne, Ballerat and Romsey so that could be a problem for most people :D:D.

Going sailing, surfing or even snow skiing are also up there as activities to challenge but have lots of fun with.

Walking, isn't that what you do around the office in between trying to get some work done !!

Geoff Dean
12th February 2010, 08:15 PM
Horsecroft, I'll make allowances cos you come from Tassie. :D

Have you not been hearing about the worlds greatest golfer and his over abundance of women? :rolleyes:

Dengue
12th February 2010, 10:22 PM
Nahh, you got that wrong Geoff. He didn't meet these women on a golf course. They were all supplied through an agency that he paid to organise it, from what I have read.

Logically, it seems a reasonable explanation.

flame.on
14th February 2010, 05:12 PM
Played my first round of golf the other day and absolutely loved it, was really enjoyable. And it now leaves the question of, how much are a good set of clubs for beginners haha

mjmjm
14th February 2010, 06:46 PM
Goodonyer flame.on. Keep making your own way through life. Listen, but not too much.

Ian Smith
15th February 2010, 10:16 AM
Of course you know the reason it's called Golf don't you?

Just in case you don't .....it's because S*** and F*** were taken

flame.on
15th February 2010, 08:52 PM
hahaha quite a good joke you got there Ian :)

Calm
15th February 2010, 10:02 PM
.......................And it now leaves the question of, how much are a good set of clubs for beginners haha

I have bought them from the Pro shop at the golf club also from ebay or Trading post - i think if you ask at the proshop they might give you some tips as what to look for - ie cavity back - graphite or steel shaft - length - brands - often people upgrade clubs or give golf away when there is nothing wrong with the clubs - it is just a case of being in the right spot at the right time.

Good luck and remember you only compete against yourself in this game not your mate. The idea is to improve your own numbers (that means get less) each time you play.

Cheers

flame.on
15th February 2010, 10:34 PM
Seems I will go to my pro shop and have a talk to them, cheers for that bit of advice.
And yeah, just gotta remember that, being the somewhat competitive person I am haha :)