PDA

View Full Version : My first hollow form

Kev Y.
7th February 2010, 04:58 PM
Today I finished of what has been my first hollow form. What started out to be a bowl with a large rim ended up as this.

Half way through the shaping process, I found that the timber was showing me how IT wanted to be shaped!

I turned the underside first the started to clean up what was supposed to be the inside. Thats when I found the top forming its self.

I decided to work with the shape and this is the finished result.

The timber is Silver Birch, and was rescued from the wood pile of my favourite B&B. As it is the owners birthday the next time we visit, I thought I would do something for her.

rsser
7th February 2010, 05:09 PM
Onya Brudda!

SB has some great figure in larger lumps don't it?

So how'd you do the hollowing?

artme
7th February 2010, 05:35 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

orraloon
7th February 2010, 05:45 PM
Nice!http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

wheelinround
7th February 2010, 05:57 PM
very nice:2tsup:

Kev Y.
7th February 2010, 06:19 PM
I use the "Rolly Munro" hollowing tool I have had for the past 6 years and had not used before.

The Silver Birch had much more figuring than I had expected.

I am glad I rescued it now :)

powderpost
7th February 2010, 09:46 PM
Very nice, well done.
Jim

TTIT
7th February 2010, 11:09 PM
Nice job for your first hollowing session :2tsup:

........... tool I have had for the past 6 years and had not used before.................And I thought it was just me - I don't feel so bad now about buying things 'just in case I need it one day!'

Cliff Rogers
7th February 2010, 11:25 PM
:2tsup:

Now you should have a go at that Qld Maple bowl. :wink:

Gil Jones
8th February 2010, 05:12 AM
Fine looking hollow form and finish :2tsup:

Kev Y.
8th February 2010, 07:37 AM
:2tsup:

Now you should have a go at that Qld Maple bowl. :wink:

Don't worry about that Cliff. I looked at it the other day and thought "your next" , after this pen and that bowl and.................