PDA

View Full Version : Simple Model Airplanes

g_coopster
9th February 2010, 09:15 AM
Hi All,

I am hoping that you can all help me with a little project that has been kicking around in my head.

I have a little 2yo boy that appears to have developed an interest in airplanes.

I would like to make some simple little airplanes to hang from his bedroom roof. Thinking about 4 or so at about 4-5 inches long.

As I dont have the most complete tool collection I need to keep it simple.

I have sketched out a few simple plan but I am curious on your thoughts material wise? First thoughts were simple balsa pieces. They should be very easy to cut, shape etc etc. Would I need to do anything particula to seal before painting??

Interested in your thoughts!

Kind Regards

Ian Smith
9th February 2010, 11:56 AM
GC,
By the time you buy the materials and mess about cuttting it all out and glueing it up you'll find you would have been far better off, time wise and dollar wise, paying a visit to you local hobby store and buying a couple of those plastic snap together dust collectors or some simple blasa gliders - you know the ones printed on balsa sheet you slot together.. and some of those don't fly too bad either.

Ian

petersemple
9th February 2010, 01:08 PM
My 2 year old (he's a bit bigger now) has a mobile made out of 3 wooden coat hangers, fishing line, wooden clothes pegs (the spring kind), and paddle pop sticks. All painted in different colours and he still loves it.

Peter

g_coopster
9th February 2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

A plastic model or balsa glider kit was my first thought actually. When I started looking around at them though, they didnt really excite me.

I would really like to create something for the little fella that 'his old man made for him' .......... if you know what I mean?!

Prime mover
9th February 2010, 02:51 PM
G'day coopster, I would use 19ml. pine for the bodies and 3ply for wings and tail fin thing. A 50sq. block and 6 or 9ml. dowel for the hanger.
P. Mover.

Ross Elliott
9th February 2010, 03:08 PM
Hi,
I make kids toys and wooden collectable toys. If you are interested I could send you a picture of the one I made. Only took a day and lots of fun. These toys usually end up in mouths so coat the toys in olive oil or something from mums kitchen.
Regards Ross:2tsup:

Hi All,

I am hoping that you can all help me with a little project that has been kicking around in my head.

I have a little 2yo boy that appears to have developed an interest in airplanes.

I would like to make some simple little airplanes to hang from his bedroom roof. Thinking about 4 or so at about 4-5 inches long.

As I dont have the most complete tool collection I need to keep it simple.

I have sketched out a few simple plan but I am curious on your thoughts material wise? First thoughts were simple balsa pieces. They should be very easy to cut, shape etc etc. Would I need to do anything particula to seal before painting??

Interested in your thoughts!

Kind Regards

keju
17th February 2010, 09:28 PM
Have you thought about using a scroll saw? I've made tiny airplanes and helicopters with it to use as x-mas tree ornaments.
Just cut a very simple, rounded off body .... from a bit thinner wood cut wings and glue on top.... done..... for a helicopter draw an X , cut out and glue on top of a helicopter shaped body. Very sturdy, cute and can even be played with.

Juvy