PDA

View Full Version : vicmarc mech variable speed

bobsreturn2003
9th February 2010, 03:15 PM
I have just found one and would like some info on the variable speed drive ,adjustments etc the rest seems a nice solid machine . if anyone has a manual i would be most gratefull for a copy , thanks Bob

rsser
9th February 2010, 03:28 PM
Vicmarc - Woodturning Lathes, Chucks, Jaws and Accessories - Downloads (http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=509)

Ozkaban
9th February 2010, 03:43 PM
What sort of mechanical variable speed do you mean? Do you mean belt change or is there another system apart from EVS?

Cheers,
Dave

turnerted
9th February 2010, 05:49 PM
Bob
My vicmarc is like that .I don't now how it works but it has never given any trouble .No electronics to break down just don't attempt to adjust the speed unless the lathe is running . Screwing the knob on the end of the leaver locks the speed . As far as I know there are no adjustments to be made .
Ted

bobsreturn2003
9th February 2010, 06:37 PM
Yes its mecanical has 2 pulleys that change size with a lever . It is not explained on there website , drive looks pretty near bullet proof . Just curious if any oiling or greasing /maintence needs doing? Was made IN 1994 before they went to evs .Otherwise its the same lathe as current model . Old style cabinet ,and single phase 1.5 hp motor , certainly has some torque . Need to lift it as its quite low Centre height. and clear some space to get it set up right :U

Tim the Timber Turner
9th February 2010, 07:05 PM
There is a grease nipple on the end of the shaft with the sliding pully.

I think that was were it was.

When the lever starts to get hard to move, give it a squirt with a grease gun.

I had # 16 of these units and it gave great service.

I eventually returned it to the factory and they converted it to EVS.

Cheers

Tim:)

INVENTOR
9th February 2010, 09:49 PM
It is a unique system ( I wish my drill press had one on it) so simple. If the belts wear then there should be adjustment by way of moving the motor mount. As the centre housing moves up and down it generally takes up 'differences' in the two belts. you may notice that the belts can vary in the amount of slack they have ( possibly) so I would only make any belt adjustment after making the unit go through its full travel and compare belt slack at varoius speed ( obviously with motor stopped and power disconnected) just to confirm things. IMO. Otherwise just a bit of grease (as mentioned) and 'perhaps' an oil on the chain/adjuster etc.
The belts are not real cheap to replace, so look after them.

Hope this helps.

brendan stemp
10th February 2010, 11:59 AM
I reckon its a great system and very ingenious. All the above have been my observations too and the only problem I ever had was the belt breaking. I figure this is because of the friction generated with the expanding pulleys wearing on the belt. However the change over wasn't a difficult task. You do need to remember to slow the speed down before turning lathe off because this should not be done when the lathe is off and there are times when the lathe is set on a fast speed and you have got a big irregular piece of wood that has just been mounted on the lathe. A tricky situation.

Ozkaban
10th February 2010, 12:15 PM
Does anybody have any pics of this system? Sounds very interesting and I have googled away but I still don't quite get how it works. I'm assuming it's nothing like the Reeves pulley system...

Cheers,
Dave

Poloris
12th February 2010, 11:14 PM
Here is a photo of the vicmark mechanism in my lathe.
A 1997 VL200.

The shaft upper right is rotated by the control lever this-
increases or decreases the diameter of the driver pully whilst having the oppersite effect on the driven pully.
At the same time the chain alters the pullies height to compensate for the difference in span length.
I am not sure if these are the same as reeves pullies.
It all works well as long as you remember to adjust the speed before you put on any large unbalance blanks as speed can only be adusted while the lathe is running.
The down side is the heavy belts make a bit of noise and can transmit vibration this is not problem.

Poloris
PS I don't have a manual.

Ozkaban
13th February 2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for that photo. Looks similar in concept to a Reeves pulley, but this doesn't rely on springs to return the pulley to the narrower size and looks solid as.

Very interesting. Thanks :2tsup:
Dave

Bruceo
13th February 2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Bob, I've got an old VL250 with the sheave type variable speed adjustment. It is very similar to the variable speed drives on most grain harvesters. Works well, but yes you need to have your wits about you and not start up with it see too fast. I have changed the belts once but found it a pain, having to dismantle a fair amount of the unit and pull the spindle out. Easier said than done without a manual for that model. At some speed settings the belts seem more prone to slipping, probably due to the pully ratios. I tend to use a can of belt dressing a lot on larger jobs.

cheers, Bruce.