PDA

View Full Version : Dust Extractor blocks up

Gumby
4th September 2004, 11:21 PM
I've spent the day hacking in to a nice Ironbark slab and did quite a bit of planing and thicknessing with great results. My only problem is the guard on the 1HP H&F dust extractor which clogs up if I put a wide board through the thicknesser. It catches all those long thin strips on the guard which I assume procects the fan from large chuncks which may fly in there but it meant I had to clean it out for every pass of the timber. I have toyed with the idea of cutting it off since I only use my DC for the combo planer/thicknesser anyway so it isn't likely to get chunks of timber in it. I haven't done it though, something is telling me not too. Is this a common DC problem (I've only had the DC a couple of weeks)

ozwinner
5th September 2004, 08:27 AM
Cut it!!

Its the first thing I do to my new DC's.
Ive never had a problem with clogging.

Al

zymurgy
5th September 2004, 10:48 AM
Cut it!!

Its the first thing I do to my new DC's.

:D Maybe that's why you keep buying new DC's

But I did it also, never clogs up anymore, even when sucking the leaves from the driveway.

echnidna
5th September 2004, 11:52 AM
Occaisionally a sliver of wood can come off when using a planer which could wreck your DC if you have cut the guard off. Much better to use a drop bin before the DC.

AlexS
5th September 2004, 06:02 PM
Interesting thing...my 2hp carbatec DC doesn't have the guard. As others have done, my neighbour took the guard off his 1hp with no problems.

Grunt
5th September 2004, 06:14 PM
Dust Extractor blocks up

Have you tried Vicks Vapour Rub?

Gumby
5th September 2004, 06:26 PM
Interesting thing...my 2hp carbatec DC doesn't have the guard.

That is interesting indeed. I din't realise that. I think the scales are tipping in favour of the hacksaw solution.

Gwhat
5th September 2004, 06:34 PM
I had the same problem with my Carbatec 2hp unit it blocked every time I got the thicknesser humming, Carbatec have a separator lid ($25) that fits plastic 44 gallon drums (with band and clip $30) this then fits into the system and sorts out the 'big bits'. A bit more stuff on the floor but at least the D/C works.
BTW Woodworkers Warehouse had a similar lid that looked a lttle more aerodynamic didn't ask the price.

jow104
5th September 2004, 07:09 PM
Hi Gumby
I had the same problem with my dust extractor and I telephoned the importer who said remove the guard.
The equipment has a two year guarantee so they will have to cover the cost if anything goes wrong.
Hope this suggestion is of some use.

Gumby
5th September 2004, 07:22 PM
Hi Gumby
I had the same problem with my dust extractor and I telephoned the importer who said remove the guard.
The equipment has a two year guarantee so they will have to cover the cost if anything goes wrong.
Hope this suggestion is of some use.

Certainly is John, thanks

Sturdee
5th September 2004, 07:34 PM
Gumby,

I put a drum collector in between the DC and the machines . See post 144 & 145 on the Cyclone post of last year.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=3749&page=10&pp=15

If you want to have a look let me know.

Peter.

jow104
5th September 2004, 07:52 PM
Hello Sturdee

I had a look at your link, how do you go abourt emptying the drum when its full?
Does this not present the need for another piece of equipment?

I don't like dust reappearing again after its been collected at some considerable cost.

Red neck
5th September 2004, 07:52 PM
I use a 1hp extractor around the lathe and had the same problem ... like the rest I cut it out with tinsnips. Occasionally the odd rag, piece of sand paper and bit of wood goes through ... makes noises like indigestion for a few seconds but no problems. Remove it and you will have no more grief with blocking!

Sturdee
5th September 2004, 08:44 PM
I had a look at your link, how do you go abourt emptying the drum when its full?

Woody, I just wheel it on a trolley to the back yard and empty it into the chook shed.

The chooks eat our foodscraps, lay eggs and convert the saw dust and shavings into good compost. :D

Peter.

Gumby
5th September 2004, 11:16 PM
Gumby,

I put a drum collector in between the DC and the machines . See post 144 & 145 on the Cyclone post of last year.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=3749&page=10&pp=15
Peter.

Thanks Pete, look like I've got another project coming up. The only problem is that now I'm running out of space in the garage. Oh well. out goes the wife's car! (By the way, that piece of Ironbark I bought yesterday is now a side table :D

jow104
6th September 2004, 01:34 AM
To Sturdee
What are chooks? Worms or the enemy?

Sturdee
6th September 2004, 10:21 AM
Chooks = chickens :D not worms or enemy. ( Sorry for the colonial term :D )

Peter.

Sturdee
6th September 2004, 10:26 AM
The only problem is that now I'm running out of space in the garage. Oh well. out goes the wife's car!

Better still build a small lean to outside the garage. Put the D/C and bin outside with some ducting into the garage.

More room, less noise and the very fine dust the bag does not retain gets blown away in the wind. It is the best of both worlds as it will keep your wife happy as well. :)

Peter.

Grunt
6th September 2004, 12:32 PM
More room, less noise and the very fine dust the bag does not retain gets blown away in the wind.

With the added bonus of giving your neighbours lung disease.:D