PDA

View Full Version : replica box

nine fingers
11th February 2010, 09:58 AM
I have been asked to make a jewelery box , identical to this one. Only have photos and measurements to go by. It was made in Sydney about 1890, for the grandmother of the client, her sister has the original.
It is 12 x 9 x 6 inches, the darker timber came from skirting boards of a hotel that was demolished, the lighter timber is a pine of some description salvaged from an incubator.
My question is it marquetry of thin sliced veneer or sawn veneer 2 or 3mm thick. I have drawn it out to scale and there are 90 pieces plus border in the top, front ,back and ends total 700 plus border.
Any ideas on construction and timbers to use to make it as identical as possible would be appreciated. regards John.
Sorry about the attachments , photos of photos.

AUSSIE
12th February 2010, 09:24 PM
Not looking good Ninefingers. Sorry but I am no help either.:B

stumpy72
12th February 2010, 09:36 PM
Hi nine fingers ive made a few boxes now incorporating marquetry the design on your particular box is quite a simple pattern consisting of geometric patterns have you done any marquetry before?

nine fingers
14th February 2010, 10:43 AM
Work under way on the box, as the date of the original was late 1800, I would
Imagine it would be Tasmanian timber.
Have used dark blackwood, pale blackwood and huon pine. The top pieces were thickness to 4mm, sides and ends were glued up in long sections ,dressed to 4mm and then cut at 45 degree glued to 10mm ply, turning over each 2nd piece. Glued veneer underneath to counteract any stress.
Now ready to put through a drum sander to reduce the thickness.
cheers John.

nine fingers
1st March 2010, 01:26 PM
Here's the finished box after many hours work.
The finish is orange shellac,about 20 coats , rubbed down after each few,
final rub down with wet and dry, buffed with EEE, then polished with traditional wax. Hope it meets clients approval. regards John.

AUSSIE
1st March 2010, 01:37 PM
John :U.You have ticked all the right boxes mate.It should be a goer.
Client would need to be very hard to please if they were not delighted with this box.
One very nice box.5 stars John:2tsup:

chambezio
1st March 2010, 02:12 PM
Mr Nine Fingers
What a sterling job you have done on that box!!!!!!!
Your client should be delerious with delight!!!!
I think you should be rewarded with a replacement finger so you can be referred to as 10 out of 10 :D

Sawdust Maker
1st March 2010, 08:57 PM
superb box
I sincerely hope she's happy

how many man hours?

artme
2nd March 2010, 10:53 AM
:clap::hooray::clap::clap::clap:

nine fingers
3rd March 2010, 02:08 PM
Many thanks to the members who replied. Delivered it this morning, when I rang last night she informed me she had a new great grand son so I presented her with a new baby:oo:( the box). She was delighted with it, even paid me more than I asked for.:D:D:D cheers John.

AUSSIE
3rd March 2010, 05:13 PM
Great John.
Now-- Who had the biggest smile.You ? or the Lady?:brava