PDA

View Full Version : How Ikea does it

beer is good
12th February 2010, 01:35 AM
On this website
Video: Inside an Ikea Factory | Gadget Lab | Wired.com (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/video-inside-an-ikea-factory/)
is a video inside an Ikea factory in Poland - and I always thought Ikea stuff was made in Sweden.

Anyway, this is awesome - furniture making on a grand scale. I'm sure that even the dark siders will be impressed!!! :oo:

les88
12th February 2010, 06:23 AM
it is a big factory = big sales
les

SAISAY
12th February 2010, 08:49 AM
Yes, Ikea is Swedish but, Poland is only a hop, skip and a jump away, sort of having headquarters in Adelaide and a factory in Tassie plus, being a member of EU they put the factories where it is most convenient and Poland's wages and taxes are much less than in Sweden although the living standards are nothing like third world countries.
Cheers
Wolffie

SAISAY
12th February 2010, 08:59 AM
BTW
Lack does not mean missing it means laquered or rather glossy paint :D
Cheers
Wolffie

artme
12th February 2010, 02:28 PM
Internal doors here are made in much the same manner.

At one time the NSW Government had its own furniture factory. I t was one of the world's biggest.

Ozkaban
12th February 2010, 03:17 PM
interesting video. Basically making internal doors...

Like the cold press near the end though - now that's a glue-up! 20-odd in one go :2tsup:

Christos
12th February 2010, 06:42 PM
It is needed so it is made.

Thanks for the video.

Bob38S
12th February 2010, 08:57 PM
Must be missing something - when I open the link all I get is a black box but no video - there is text on the page - do I assume I need to subscribe to see the video?

Ashore
12th February 2010, 09:08 PM
Cant be ikea , wheres the hex driver :D

Artesano
12th February 2010, 11:59 PM
Anyway, this is awesome - furniture making on a grand scale. I'm sure that even the dark siders will be impressed!!! :oo:

Nah , impressing darksiders is a tricky job:D - but still:

http://french-furniture.freres-allot.com/workshops-visit.html

By clicking on the numbers you see the ops one by one.Doing this kind of furniture on unusualy large scale (it's more a one-man business these days) , is what I find really incredible :o

cultana
13th February 2010, 12:20 AM
Not kiln dried timber. 1 year per 1cm timber.

As for that bronze room.. :oo:

Now that was something to really drool about..

masoth
13th February 2010, 03:28 AM
Ivan Chonov, have you experienced changing wood colour with "hot sand" as mentioned often in the french link you posted? Anyone else too, if you know of the process.

soth

Artesano
13th February 2010, 06:42 AM
No - if I understand it well , they use it to "bake" veneer , in order to get more colours.I' ve never worked with veneer , it's the big white spot on my woodworking geography:~ - and not a place in Spain to learn some of the stuff :~ - and I'm VERY interested!.....guess I ' ll stick to solid wood for the moment...