PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 5 Sept. 04

Ralph Jones
5th September 2004, 10:39 PM
Good Evening Friends,
What is the best method to use for truing a board that you just got from the sawmill, before you run it through a planer?

Respectfully,

E. maculata
6th September 2004, 02:30 PM
Gidday again Ralph, I'm sorta puzzled here, but then again that's the point isn't it!.
Go to a decent Sawyer/Mill who still uses 2-3 man breast benches and knows what fine sawing is, or even double sawing. Or just do it myself.
Or get them to cut oversize, so you can true from the heart face yourself (hey guys I backsaw none of this namby pamby quartersawing rubbish :D )
Or some older mills had/have long bed sizers which do a good job if the machinist knows what to do.
Still can't figure out why am I going to plane/dress green wood?

RETIRED
6th September 2004, 03:37 PM
Still can't figure out why am I going to plane/dress green wood?
'cause it's cold, wet and naked? :D

E. maculata
6th September 2004, 08:17 PM
Ok , now walk down the main street talking very loudly about dressing wood and see how many funny looks you get. (or locked up) :p

Ralph Jones
6th September 2004, 09:57 PM
Good Evening Friends,
As a general rule you will allow the timbers to acclimate to your shop for a few days , weeks or even a month, depending on how thick it is.

During that time one or two of the boards/timbers have a tendency to crook.
The question was how would you true up the board/timber when this happens.

Personally I use a straight edge and place each end on the curved portion to see how much I have to remove to straighten that timber.

Then I allow for the distance from the blade to the edge of the bottom plate of the saw and clamp the straightedge down and cut away, then use my table saw to straighten the other side.

Thanks for your support.

Respectfully,