PDA

View Full Version : glue from the 60's

old_picker
15th February 2010, 09:13 PM
at tech school in victioria we used a glue in woodwork that was dark treacle colour - it came in a tin and was great stuff - i still have pieces i built using it

any one got any idea what that would have been??
if it is still available??

btw it wasnt hide glue as we didnt have to heat it up - it was good to go sytraight out of the tin

soundman
15th April 2010, 11:27 PM
Was it solvent bassed...or water

Fish glue has always been arround but that stuff stinks.

cheers

old_picker
16th April 2010, 12:22 AM
Was it solvent bassed...or water

Fish glue has always been arround but that stuff stinks.

cheers

no it wasn't fish glue
i think it was some kind of hide glue - the kind you dont have to heat up

old pete
16th April 2010, 09:43 AM
Hi Old Picker,

Sounds like Melamine Formaldehyde. Still used today to give Class A bonds in glulam works,

Old Pete

soundman
16th April 2010, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure how long cold liquid hide glue has been arround... but certainly avaiable now.

Urea formaldahyde glue is brown.... but generaly that is some form of two part.

Thick shelac would work well as a glue too.

There were quite a number of weird glues arround in the past.

cheers

watson
16th April 2010, 01:27 PM
My old man used to have some stuff in a tin...treacle is the correct consistency from what I remember.....and it was made by a mob called GUD.
I only remember that 'cos the factory was along the Maribyrnong about 500 metres from home.
This would have been 1955 or so.
No idea what was in it...but he used it for all woodwork from articles out of the Practical Man's Book of Things to Make and Do put out by the Sun/Herald.

From the repository of useless info in my head.

malb
26th May 2010, 02:49 AM
I thought of Casien which is derived from milk and alkali and read up on that. Probably not the stuff you are enquiring about though.

Common in the period, water resistant but not water proof, generally supplied as powder to be mixed with water, but shelf life of mixed solution too short to be packaged that way, also akali so corrosive of metal containers. Unless of course the instructor mixed a batch for the students each morning/afternoon when it would be needed.