PDA

View Full Version : Hello

SlotBaker
16th February 2010, 01:50 PM
Hi there, I've been checking in here for a while reading and gathering some useful and interesting info, and figured it was time to join in.

I loved metalwork at school, and found out that toolmaking would let me earn a living doing something that I enjoyed, and did my apprenticeship at Sunbeam, Mascot/Campsie back in the dark ages. Any old Sunbeamers out there??

Anyway, I've always had the desire for metalwork, and have been lucky to pick up a few machines and stuff over the years.

Getting retrenched was a bummer in that I had no job, but good thing to scrounge stuff when the company closes shop.:2tsup:

I wanted to be able to do some 3D copying and had used a KF12 panto, so picked up one that was surplus to needs at local toolmaker. Paid too much for that one, tho.

Then got retrenched, and was able to get J&S 540 surface grinder, and Deckle FP1 Series 2 mill (both cheap), and just recently bought small BLC1016 Lathe that I am making stand for.

Hope to be able to share some info, and pick up a few tips on how to get my rusty memory working again.

Steve
:)

bollie7
17th February 2010, 08:56 AM
G'day Steve and welcome.
I know what you mean about about the desire for metal work. After years in the trade, after a while you think "I've had enough" but once you are no longer working with metal is not long before you get the urge again. At least thats how its been with me.
regards
bollie7

matthew_g
21st February 2010, 01:29 PM
G'day and welcome,
You will find a great bunch of people with varying trades experiance and knowlage to share here.
Enjoy your stay with us.
Matt

mjmjm
21st February 2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum

Grahame Collins
21st February 2010, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the mob, Steve

SlotBaker
22nd February 2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome, chaps.

We really are spread around the place, and it's good to see.

Grahame, one of my mates just retired up to Mackay, and now has full time job mowing his 5 acres.:doh: You guys have had a bit of rain up there.

Spent some time in the playhouse on the weekend resurrecting some buggered carburettors, making inserts and re-establishing threads in stripped castings. Just need to build up my range of threading taps now. Doesn't seem to matter how many taps you have, the next job needs one that's not there.
Good fun.
:)