PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Pine - I think?

Little Festo
16th February 2010, 07:52 PM
A few piccies of my mates debarking some very fresh pine - possibly Norfolk pine. You can see some debarked pieces to the right of the first photo.

Also a piece just turned waiting to be parted off the chuck - an end grain bowl, approx 200mm deep/diameter.

The bowl is quite thin and translucent to the bottom. Will be sanded and have it's first (of many) oiling tomorrow.

Boy was it humid here today - pouring rain at the moment.

Peter

Ad de Crom
16th February 2010, 09:47 PM
Did you know that norfolk pine, and it's norfolk pine, is the ultimate wood for making very nice translucent lamps. Look to the website of Peter Bloch Peter Bloch - Turned Wood Lampshades Made from Aspen Logs (http://www.woodshades.com/)
Wish had some of that fantastic wood.
Ad

TTIT
16th February 2010, 10:57 PM
You can keep that job Peter :C De-barking is my pet hate even in cool weather but never, ever in this humidity :no:

Little Festo
17th February 2010, 08:04 AM
You can keep that job Peter :C De-barking is my pet hate even in cool weather but never, ever in this humidity :no:

My mate Jeff did most of the work, lucky to have a friend like that :D. Actually I did help. I have to get it painted with mobilseal (spelling??) today. I must admit the wood looks really nice, almost glows. It's a pleasure to turn. Turning green timber always cut well, good ribbons, no dust, only a water spray. It's all the sanding after the oilings later on thats not too much fun.

AD,

Yes quite a few people here have suggested lamp shades. Might try that some time. I have found that most varieties of pine can be turned so they are translucent.
Peter

artme
17th February 2010, 08:47 AM
certainly is NIP.

Bugger of a job to do in the heat and humidity but the results are worth it by the look of the pic.:2tsup::2tsup:

keithkarl2007
18th February 2010, 06:31 AM
Man, i love Norfolk Island Pine. Is it expensive? Often wanted to get a few pieces for bowls and vases.

rsser
18th February 2010, 07:26 AM
We have lots down here as ornamental plantings keithkarl, and they grow big. When someone offers you one, you need to check first b4 accepting or you can drown in it.

I've found it very stable in drying after roughing out or even finish turning.

keithkarl2007
18th February 2010, 07:42 AM
So i guess freshly cut pieces would cost a fortune on shipping. I've seen various turnings in gallery's from it and the colouring in some of it is amazing. I just love working with wood. I'm only a newbee when it comes to turning but i really appreciate all this beautiful material that God has blessed us woodworkers with. He must have been thinking of us at the time :D.
Ozzie burls are my fave, but other figured woods really tickle my fancy too :D

rsser
18th February 2010, 08:19 AM
Not all of them have the pink and blue colouring tho. Seems those from warmer climates have the most, due to spalting, soil conditions or whatever.

I've tried to spalt some with ltd success.

Little Festo
18th February 2010, 09:17 AM
The last lot of Bunya pine I had was left for 6months or so. Problem was some grubs got into them so I won't be leaving this lot as long. I might put a few pieces away in plastic bags and see what happens. It still looks pretty speccie when totally clean so to speak. The oiling turns it a honey/gold. Also as Ern said elsewhere, when dry it has quite bad tear-out.

Peter

rsser
18th February 2010, 03:01 PM
BTW, a while ago Rowie and I were puzzling over a 'find'.

Looked a bit like NIP to me but he thought it could have been monkey puzzle tree.

hughie
20th February 2010, 08:07 PM
We have lots down here as ornamental plantings keithkarl, and they grow big. When someone offers you one, you need to check first b4 accepting or you can drown in it.

Oh so very true. :o :U