PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood table- Need advice please!

Adorabull
20th February 2010, 02:40 PM
Hi,
I have recently purchased an old 1930s blackwood table that had the top of the table stripped back to bare wood and must have been stored in someones shed as it had a few water marks in it. I have sanded it down and all marks have now been eliminated. This is my first attempt at restoring anything...

So my question is: WHAT DO I DO NOW???

I really would appreciate any advice.... :)

Many thanks,
Joanne

Claw Hama
20th February 2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Joanne and welcome to the forum. Depends what sort of table it is and what you are going to be doing on it. If it's a hall table that will just be a home to a few pieces of art then a couple of coats of shellac might do the trick. If it's a table that will get a lot of use you may want to give it a couple of coats of Estapol or similar which will protect it from hot cups and alcohol etc and not get rings. There are also two pack epoxys for realy hard treatment and many other options in between, waxes, oils etc. Hope this helps

Adorabull
20th February 2010, 06:00 PM
Many thanks for your advice.
It is a four chair oval kitchen table. so it will be subject to some where and tare...

Saskatoon
23rd February 2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Joanne, the original finish was probably nitro-cellulose lacquer. You should be able to test on a non-stripped surface. Perhaps for an older piece like this (80 years!) consider keeping a more original finish such as n-c lacquer or shellac. The top can be protected in use with place mats, coasters etc. Claw Hama is right (again) about using Estapol for durability, although future restorers, if any, won't like stripping it. Depends on the value of the piece! We have one which has a wax finish, which marks easily but marks are easy to re-wax. (It's not used every day, though.)