PDA

View Full Version : Meleuca Burls

hughie
20th February 2010, 08:02 PM
Melaleuca burls has anybody come across them and or turned one?

Just got back from FNQ and spotted these in very public places :C, didn't have a chainsaw anyway :U

Enfield Guy
20th February 2010, 09:03 PM
Stick on a yellow safety vest (why they call them that is beyond me, I've always found that they get in the way), put a barrier up ( Telstra pits are a good source), get out the chainsaw and go hell for leather!!!! Just joking!!!

Tim the Timber Turner
20th February 2010, 09:11 PM
I put out a sign that says, UNIVERSITY SURYEY IN PROGRESS!!

dai sensei
21st February 2010, 12:28 AM
Can't wait until someone invents an affordable pocket lazer cutter :rolleyes::U

artme
21st February 2010, 10:15 AM
Yummy!~!!

Sawdust Maker
21st February 2010, 10:35 AM
Stick on a yellow safety vest (why they call them that is beyond me, I've always found that they get in the way), put a barrier up ( Telstra pits are a good source), get out the chainsaw and go hell for leather!!!! Just joking!!!

I'm sure you'd get away with it :o

orraloon
22nd February 2010, 10:01 PM
Hughie,
I think I turned one a couple of years back. The bark is very similar in any case.
Hard wood but worked well with sharp tools. Took a shine very well.
What to do with a burl? - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/what-do-burl-72080/)
Gave it to my sister in Scotland as an example of strange Australian wood.
If memory serves I got it at the Lumber Bunker.
Regards
John

Farnk
23rd February 2010, 01:01 PM
Yea, turned a few into some matched bowls a couple of years ago, sorry I don't have any pics of the finished articles as they were snapped up pretty quickly.

I concur though, quite hard timber and I had to keep touching up the tool edge.
Lots of chatter as I was hollowing out and it was hard to keep the cut smooth. Ended up having to sand the inside surface pretty heavily.
The end result was very attractive tho. The surface came up well with just some EEE and shellawax.

Reckon a chainsaw with a silencer and a visit back at 11:00pm?

hughie
24th February 2010, 10:09 PM
[

Reckon a chainsaw with a silencer and a visit back at 11:00pm?

:U, maybe late am