PDA

View Full Version : Sierra pen assembly

mick61
21st February 2010, 08:29 PM
:?G`day pen addicts I have a query with the SIERRA is the nib end supposed to slip on very easy?:?
Mick :D

Ozkaban
21st February 2010, 08:49 PM
Wouldn't have thought so.

Be careful as Sierras (and other kits that share names... drives me nuts!) are made by several different manufacturers and have slightly different sizes.

Where did you get the kit from?

You can dob a little bit of CA on the fitting as you slide it in to hold it fast. Be careful not to use too much though or it will show.

Cheers,
Dave

mick61
21st February 2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply its the first sierra I have made I jus took apart an elegant beauty I got in the swap last year. Too easy they go together virtually the same.
Thanks Mick:D

gawdelpus
21st February 2010, 09:59 PM
Be a bit careful about any gluing ,first see how you change the ink ,does the nib unscrew ? or the clip end pull off to change . most sierras I can think of have to be loose between the nib end assembly and the barrel, Its the clip that needs to be a tight fit as the barrel turns to activate the refill .there are some differences in kits some are tight and are activated by turning the section above the clip, all very confusing to say the least. I have never had to glue any sierras or elegant beauties type kits ,if in doubt check your kit brand and d/load the instructions .If you glue it and you shouldn't have you will never be able to change the refill :( .better safe than sorry . :no: cheers ~ John

corbs
21st February 2010, 10:17 PM
I have had that happen in the past... a bit of araldyte will fix the problem:2tsup:

hunter-27
22nd February 2010, 02:59 AM
Be a bit careful about any gluing ,first see how you change the ink ,does the nib unscrew ? or the clip end pull off to change . most sierras I can think of have to be loose between the nib end assembly and the barrel, Its the clip that needs to be a tight fit as the barrel turns to activate the refill .there are some differences in kits some are tight and are activated by turning the section above the clip, all very confusing to say the least. I have never had to glue any sierras or elegant beauties type kits ,if in doubt check your kit brand and d/load the instructions .If you glue it and you shouldn't have you will never be able to change the refill :( .better safe than sorry . :no: cheers ~ John

Exactly correct!

Ozkaban
22nd February 2010, 09:59 AM

You're absolutely right John. I've been crook all week, so wasn't thinking straight. I was not picturing a sierra nib end in my head - was thinking of a sedona :doh: Of course gluing will stop you changing the refill over... :no:

Thanks for correcting me :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Dave

mick61
23rd February 2010, 09:07 PM
That`s ok I didn`t glue it.
Thanks Mick:D

Bitshird
25th February 2010, 12:11 PM
Do be careful when you sell it or give it away, Sierras and the others like it that have the Transmission connected to the Nib, have a problem, not from the pen but from the folks that ise them. They keep turning once the refil is fully withdrawn and unscrew the transmission, which then becomes quite hard to dislodge from the connector in the cap, I've done 30 or 40 of them and had 7 or 8 come back, one twice from the same lady,
I've all but quit using that kit, and just use the Dayacom Elegant Beauty, it can't become disconnected like a Sierra . Some one had a suggestion that sound good, but I haven't tried it, that was to cut a piece of dowel rod and place it in the cap so When, not if but WHEN the person did unscrew the transmission that it wouldn't remain attached to the connector in the cap,

Rum Pig
4th March 2010, 08:42 AM
Hi Mick here is a copy of the instructions so you can see what is going on:)131292