PDA

View Full Version : thru dovetails --thickness

Ron Booth
22nd February 2010, 10:16 AM
here we go again--I don`t see the difference between thicknessing stock down to chosen depth of cut--- from raising a dovetail bit to match the depth of cut to the material thickness.
Can anyone explain what is or should be happening here please??
RB:rolleyes:

Gwhat
23rd February 2010, 01:47 PM
Ron

Because the one bit set up cuts both pins & tails, the controller of tightness of fit is the stock thickness. In short there is only one thickness stock for any given through dovetail joint.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Grahame

Gwhat
23rd February 2010, 02:04 PM
See post in new thread

Ron Booth
23rd February 2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks Grahame, I still don`t fully understand this seeming contradiction or non-corollary, but does this mean then, that I can only use specified thickesses as written in the manual ?
Ron B:?

Gwhat
23rd February 2010, 05:53 PM
here we go again--I don`t see the difference between thicknessing stock down to chosen depth of cut--- from raising a dovetail bit to match the depth of cut to the material thickness.
Can anyone explain what is or should be happening here please??
RB:rolleyes:

Ron, as you are cutting both the vertical workpiece and the horizontal workpiece using the same router bit and the same depth setting to cut both pins & tails the only variable at your disposal is the stock thickness. If you have a good look at the Incra DVD it will show you up close why?

This is a pretty regular guestion / problem and believe me.... the only solution is to get the right stock thickness.

Regards

Grahame

Ron Booth
24th February 2010, 09:56 AM
Grahame, Thanks again for your patience and answers.
I am actually one who can take instructions faithfully and act on them, it`s just that my small brain is struggling with the logic behind this one.
I`ll now simply "hear and obey" as you might guess most of us shed blokes have been so well trained to do.
Thanks again Ron B:2tsup:

Ron Booth
25th February 2010, 09:46 AM
Grahame, I think I`ve got it!!!
Only watched the video another 10 times and bearing my particular question in mind the haze seems to be clearing. I`m not able to explain what it is I think I understand, but I will sleep better tonite now.
I`ve worn out 2 pairs of shoes just wandering in and out of the workshop looking at my bits and pieces and thinking about all the things that I must have done wrong and measuring thicknesses and angles and such , but I can probably leave you alone for awhile now.
RB:doh:

Gwhat
25th February 2010, 09:52 AM
Hi Ron

No problems, our motto is.... the only DUMB question is the one you don't ask...

The through dovetail concept is the hardest of all things Incra as it defies the conventional thinking process.

There are some great looking through dovetails out there so it does work!!!

Regards

Grahame

Ron Booth
8th April 2010, 05:31 PM
It is probably worth while for me now to state the obvious.
I have FINALLY completed my first project using the Incra system to make a writing slope (fotos later) using half blind dovetails.
I have probably really made this thing at least 10 times now if you count up the dopey errors along the way.
I am probably not on my own in thinking that I know better than the instructions and therefore can ignore some of them.
WRONG!!!!
I thought to ignore the centring bit of the instructions and just move the setup 9mm to one side and then couldn`t figure why nothing matched up when I tried to assemble both sides of the box.
I now realise that all the work done on the Incra has top at least start out symmetrical.
The other astounding part is that I can also see the value of doing as I`m told--I.O.W. follow the instructions carefully as they do have a purpose.
I don`t think Incra have written this anywhere, but for cleverdicks like me it should be writ BOLD.
Needless tosay, I am thrilled to bits with my first result , which is a gift for my little brother`s 60th tomorrow, and so I shouldn`t have tried to cram the whole project (it did take me about 5 days with all the stuffing around) into one week.
March onwards---who wants another box????
RB new master of all the King`s chips and dust.
:B:D:;

Gwhat
10th April 2010, 08:37 AM
Ron

I think the first Triton Mk3 instructions started with a statement 'there are 15 ways of incorrectly assembling this unit and only one correct way' Given our gender, instructions are the last thing to read, 'though I've often thought that the manuals should have a few Playboy models in them, remembering, of course that we (guys) only read the articles!!!

The annoying thing with most really good equipment is that its design challenges conventional thinking, thus if we approach it with our own logic, we will run into trouble.

:2tsup: for acknowledging that the manuals and videos were right and that to get the best out of any equipment you need to understand and read the manuals. I'm guilty of researching the heck out of a potential purchase, then not reading the manuals when I finally have to set it up.

I'm really happy that you got a good result, I'd just love to see the photos.

Regards

Grahame