PDA

View Full Version : What timber is this please?

swoffa
22nd February 2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Everyone,
New here, so please be gentle.

Background to why I'm asking:
A number of years ago we bought a bed off the shop floor. It didn't have bedside drawers but gee it was cheap. BIG mistake, to wit hers indoors reminds me every so often. "Why can't I have matching furniture, is it too much to ask". We've not been able to find anything that matches, so now I'm going to make something.

Anyways I found some plans of some drawer units that look very nice and have long enough legs to enable the central heating to at least warm the room in winter. But I need to get the same timber.

So back to the primary question, What timber is this please, and where can I purchase it?

130398 130399

Any help would be fantastic.

chowcini
22nd February 2010, 10:07 PM
Tas Oak or vic ash with a maple or teak stain, should be readily accesable down your way if not i can give you a quote??:D:D
regards Chowcini

swoffa
22nd February 2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks Chowcini.
Free delivery :)

chowcini
22nd February 2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks Chowcini.
Free delivery :)

Depends on how many you buy ?............multiples of 20 sounds about right!!:D:D
regards Chowcini

Jeff Mills
23rd February 2010, 01:25 PM
I do believe that is rift sawn red oak with a muddy red brown stain.

Here's a picture of what Red Oak looks like with just a clear finish and no brown stain in the grain.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56916-jeff-mills/albums/stuff/3567-ro-book-case.jpg

artme
23rd February 2010, 03:45 PM
I do believe that is rift sawn red oak with a muddy red brown stain.

Here's a picture of what Red Oak looks like with just a clear finish and no brown stain in the grain.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56916-jeff-mills/albums/stuff/3567-ro-book-case.jpg

"twould be nice if it were Jeff But I think we can all assure you it it Tassie Oak or Vic. Mountain AsI think Redoak would cost an arm and a leg out here.

Love your piece BTW>

justinmcf
23rd February 2010, 04:24 PM
the red oak looks a lot more classy than the tassie weed oak!

regards, justin.

swoffa
24th February 2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks all.
Can anyone help me with where to purchase Vic Ash or Tas Oak that would be suitable for making bedstand drawers. I'm near Ringwood in Victoria.

multiples of 20 sounds about right!!:D:D
regards Chowcini
I don't actually know what this means. :doh: Have to start learning somewhere I guess. Is there a standard LxWxD for timber that I should know about when purchasing this sort of stuff?

rsser
24th February 2010, 12:51 PM
Mathews Timber in Vermont.

Mathews Timber - Home (http://www.mathewstimber.com.au/html/parser/page/home)

swoffa
24th February 2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks rsser.
I'll pop by on the weekend.

Jeff Mills
25th February 2010, 03:11 PM
"twould be nice if it were Jeff But I think we can all assure you it it Tassie Oak or Vic. Mountain AsI think Redoak would cost an arm and a leg out here.

Love your piece BTW>

Well... at least I was 1/2 right... I got the oak part :D