PDA

View Full Version : Timber for Pens

BigPop
7th September 2004, 03:30 PM
Can someone help regarding WR Cedar.
I have been given a piece of WR Cedar offcut that this person didn't want any more and gave it to me to use for making some pens.
Before I start turning it I would like to know is it good for pens or a bit too soft???

Toggy
7th September 2004, 08:26 PM
BigPete,

Too soft I reckon; as it marks & crushes very easily. Looks great & smells beaut though. Don't get any dust in your eyes as I find that it effects them severely. have been told that the sap is toxic.

Would make a very attractive display pen though.

Ken

fxst
7th September 2004, 08:31 PM
BP go for it
I have sold a couple of em and ppl love em.....keep in mind turned pens arent usually a daily use item more a look at this great pen I have ...beats the plastic 1 you use :D
petty office stuff :D :D :D
Pete

BigPop
7th September 2004, 09:18 PM
I thought it maybe a bit too soft but will give one a go and see how it comes out - after all they are to be given away as presents so maybe allright if not used too often.

rsser
7th September 2004, 09:20 PM
Given the cost of the parts and the time involved, I can't see the point in using anything less than good wood - something medium to hard with a strong grain pattern. NSW red mallee burl eg.

smidsy
8th September 2004, 01:40 AM
Hei Guys,
The beauty of pen making is that it is only the brass tubes that you use during the making and it's easy to recycle them if you don't like the finished result - I had some tubes that went through about ten blanks before I was happy.

I've made pens out of Jarrah, Pine, Marri, Sheoak and Tassie Oak.
I think the thing to is consider the final use - if the pen is likely to get hard use, use a harder timber but if it's going to be given as a gift and get light use (the friends I've given pens to tend to use them as keep sakes rather than day to day use) you can use a softer more ornamental timber.

Cheers
Paul

Rebus
8th September 2004, 09:04 AM
Ignore the naysayers. If it feels good - go for it ! The only thing you have to lose is a couple of bits of wood and you stand to gain the thing you can't buy - experience !

Just a couple of pointers when turning soft timbers. Be sure to keep your tools very sharp. A blunt (even slightly blunt) tool will tear the WR Cedar. The second thing is: try not to sand too heavily. Soft timbers tend to sand unevenly across the grain.

Best of luck.

regards,

BigPop
8th September 2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all your input guys.

As I mentioned I think I will make one and see how it turns out etc and if all is well may make some more if not then will have another one to use at the telephone table. :):)

fxst
8th September 2004, 09:12 PM
BP if it dont work out as its a soft timber just pare it off the tubes as metioned above but nothing ventured etc :D
Pete