PDA

View Full Version : Marking Knife

mat
7th September 2004, 05:24 PM
I am looking at buying a marking knife - should have thought about this before the Canberra Wood show.
Any views on various brands available Crown, Veritas, Japanese models available at Carbatec, any others?

himzol
7th September 2004, 06:21 PM
Hi Mat,

You could also try making your own, I seem to recall SilentC made one from an old spade bit, have a search in the handmade tools and jigs section if interested.

Himzo.

Rocker
7th September 2004, 06:38 PM
I have the Veritas one and I like it a lot.

Rocker

Grunt
7th September 2004, 06:53 PM
I've got a Japanese one from Carbatec and a Crown Tools one. I like the Japanese one better.

derekcohen
7th September 2004, 07:21 PM
Matt

I have a few: a couple of Japanese, a few I made myself. I think the Veritas one is very nice indeed, a classic design. You can't go wrong with most on the market. But the point I want to stress is that you get a double-sided one, otherwise you will need two.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Driver
7th September 2004, 07:25 PM
I recently bought the Veritas knife and it's excellent (actually, I haven't been disappointed with any of the various Veritas items).

Col

bitingmidge
7th September 2004, 07:50 PM
I was going to say that I mostly use a little Swiss army knife that I carry on my keyring...but I'd be too embarrassed.

P
:o :o :o

craigb
7th September 2004, 08:41 PM
That's o.k. Midge, I use a Stanley knife :o

bsrlee
7th September 2004, 09:55 PM
As recommended to me by Woodworks in Sydney, I use a Pfeil #1 chip carving knife. It's beveled on both sides, unlike just about every other chipcarving knife. Just don't use it to chip glue out of a corner - I now have 2 of them, one is just a bit shorter than the other.......

vsquizz
7th September 2004, 10:00 PM
Power hacksaw blade, two pieces of carved timber (of some sort?) for handles and some brass smash rivets. Grind till you like:D

Cheers