PDA

View Full Version : Indexed Bowls

wheelinround
24th February 2010, 07:16 PM
OTGA & Blue Mountains member Darrell Smith created these platters/bowls with a very interesting indexed jig. Lathe used was H&F's WL-18

There will be more on the jig soon.

artme
24th February 2010, 08:16 PM
Very interesting Wheelin. Look forward to more info. Thanks for the teaser!:2tsup:

I_wanna_Shed
24th February 2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for posting that Ray. I've been meaning to try something similiar, only with 3 round bits here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/how-glue-very-simple-segmented-bowl-99154/)

That looks great though, I like the 'tower' in the middle.

Nathan.

wheelinround
24th February 2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for posting that Ray. I've been meaning to try something similiar, only with 3 round bits here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/how-glue-very-simple-segmented-bowl-99154/)

That looks great though, I like the 'tower' in the middle.

Nathan.

Nathan your going to like the jig it has setting for 3 or 5.

I like your intended project :2tsup:

wheelinround
3rd March 2010, 05:09 PM
another members first try at one on his new Cougar lathe this s a 3 set

Is this the sort of thing you think about Nathan??

I have the plans instructions etc but I have yet to type them up they are all hand written give me a few days and I'll do up a PDF.

I discussion with David Laird and Darrell Smith they are hoping to demonstrate the jig at this years STWWS

Ray

I_wanna_Shed
3rd March 2010, 07:55 PM
Its pretty similiar Ray, although in the one I want to do the 3 smaller bowls all intersect, to form a 'clover' leaf shape.

I'll dig the article up for you.

And that pic reminds me I need to knock up some form of indexing jig for my lathe!

Nathan.

wheelinround
4th March 2010, 08:06 AM
Its pretty similiar Ray, although in the one I want to do the 3 smaller bowls all intersect, to form a 'clover' leaf shape.

I'll dig the article up for you.

And that pic reminds me I need to knock up some form of indexing jig for my lathe!

Nathan.

The size of the bowls depends on what you want and timber of course, widening what Les did there would give the crown in the middle.

What type of lathe have you Nathan I can't recall???

bowl-basher
10th March 2010, 07:15 PM
The size of the bowls depends on what you want and timber of course, widening what Les did there would give the crown in the middle.

Hey wheelin I got a COUGAR can you teach me to do those ????:oo::oo:
regards
Bowl Basher

wheelinround
10th March 2010, 07:47 PM
Hey wheelin I got a COUGAR can you teach me to do those ????:oo::oo:
regards
Bowl Basher

Graham I haven't done it mysef yet this is Darrell's efforts the plans for the indexing jig is coming I had more measurements to get today. I hope also to do a video, it has been decided that it will be demonstarted at STWWS this coming June.

Just need some time to get everything together it will be a make it yourself jig.

wheelinround
10th March 2010, 07:50 PM
Another one this has 3 again with a handle

I_wanna_Shed
10th March 2010, 08:18 PM

Hi Ray,

I have a Woodfast 280L. Some pics here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/pics-my-lathe-stand-53128/). Its serving me pretty well. Just wish I had some time lately to venture out to the shed!

I'll definately have a look at these turnings/demos at the Sydney show.

Nathan.

wheelinround
17th March 2010, 08:52 PM
Ok I'm responsible for not getting the drawings and PDF finished of the plans for the jig. :doh::roll:

Here's another teaser Darrell's 420mm with centre just the right size for one of the plastic dip containers. Claret Ash is the wood used.

hughie
30th March 2010, 08:21 PM
Ran across a pic on the UK forum I think of a bowl completely work over on the inside with a patterned inside done on a rose engine lathe, very impressive.

wheelinround
31st March 2010, 06:38 AM
Ran across a pic on the UK forum I think of a bowl completely work over on the inside with a patterned inside done on a rose engine lathe, very impressive.

Did you leave tyre marks that way I and others might find it :roll: where's the link??

Yeh ok I am taking my time with the plans hopefully this afternoon last check today to make sure all is correct before putting it up.

Ozkaban
31st March 2010, 11:58 AM
Hi Ray,

I saw this thread a while ago and thought it was very cool and have been keeping an eye on it, but then... someone has asked me for a platter with 6 non-intersecting bowls turned in it around the rim, kinda like the second photo in post #5, but with 6. I realise that the bowls will need to be smaller, but that's not a problem, I think.

Do you reckon this jig could be modified to do 6?

I was thinking of just turning a platter with a 25mm thick scrap piece on the back, and just screwing a face plate onto 6 different bits around the rim. I may need to do a couple of these, so a jig would probably speed the process up.

Thanks Ray.

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
31st March 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Ray,

I saw this thread a while ago and thought it was very cool and have been keeping an eye on it, but then... someone has asked me for a platter with 6 non-intersecting bowls turned in it around the rim, kinda like the second photo in post #5, but with 6. I realise that the bowls will need to be smaller, but that's not a problem, I think.

Do you reckon this jig could be modified to do 6?

I was thinking of just turning a platter with a 25mm thick scrap piece on the back, and just screwing a face plate onto 6 different bits around the rim. I may need to do a couple of these, so a jig would probably speed the process up.

Thanks Ray.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave your in luck this was brought up today at OTGA and is in the pipe line if David is his usual he'll have the thing sorted by next week.

Also I recall you mentioning having joined Hornsby/Northern Woodies well Darrell will be demonstrating the present jig at there next meeting he told me today.

EDITED Dave yep easy as a few moments time to consider it. By dividing the distance between settings for the 3 notches for a 3 bowl setting and creating 3 more notches you get 6.

Ray

wheelinround
31st March 2010, 08:06 PM
Sorry for the delay but to get it right we needed to have everything checked and read over a few times.

I have attached a PDF it is 3.33meg any hassles in downloading PM me with your email address and I'll email you a copy.

Please read everything carefully if you feel we have left anything out let us at OTGA know.
Also if you have any further questions or suggestions.

Ray

wheelinround
2nd April 2010, 06:06 PM
A couple of photo's which may help this shows how the index plate selects the number of bowls to turn and that the studs have been taped into the 10mm plate making it easier to adjust.

Big Shed
2nd April 2010, 06:11 PM
Sorry for the delay but to get it right we needed to have everything checked and read over a few times.

I have attached a PDF it is 3.33meg any hassles in downloading PM me with your email address and I'll email you a copy.

Please read everything carefully if you feel we have left anything out let us at OTGA know.
Also if you have any further questions or suggestions.

Ray

Ray, just downloaded the pdf and it looks very interesting.

I have a question, was page 7 of 7 intentionally left blank?

wheelinround
2nd April 2010, 06:19 PM
Ray, just downloaded the pdf and it looks very interesting.

I have a question, was page 7 of 7 intentionally left blank?

Yes Fred I couldn't make it 6 pages no matter what I tried not without stuffing the lot :~ so I just left it.

Big Shed
2nd April 2010, 06:47 PM
Yes Fred I couldn't make it 6 pages no matter what I tried not without stuffing the lot :~ so I just left it.

Thanks Ray.

Something like

This page intentionally left blank

perhaps?

wheelinround
2nd April 2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks Ray.

Something like

This page intentionally left blank

perhaps?

Noted for future updates :U :2tsup:

or
as I have often seen in manuals

"NOTES"

But I have yet to find one worth anything not even a $1:roll:

Ozkaban
3rd April 2010, 09:17 AM
Nicely engineered jig there Ray. Thanks for the instructions too - very interesting read.

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
3rd April 2010, 09:23 AM
Nicely engineered jig there Ray. Thanks for the instructions too - very interesting read.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave I just put together the drawings and instructions and took some of the photo's.

David does a great job on his Jigs Dave he is already working on upgrading this one which will be 3rd build his first was completely out of plywood.

wheelinround
3rd April 2010, 09:26 AM
For those who do make the jig here's a TIP

The stamped numbers are impossible to see when assembled for turning, so paint corresponding notches around the edge makes it simple to slide the indexer and rotate the bowl an lock in position.

hughie
4th April 2010, 10:53 PM
Did you leave tyre marks that way I and others might find it :roll: where's the link??Link, hmm well we'll see. I was cruising along not really paying any attention to where I was.

here you go I saved the pic
Cosmic Burst Pattern Bowl: Joshua Salesin

wheelinround
5th April 2010, 08:24 AM
Ah yes seen that myself very nice and thin wall to would have been some scary moments doing that one.

wheelinround
13th April 2010, 09:48 PM
Two updates have been made to the Index chuck/jig

shown here is the base plate with a different way of doing the indexer trouble is you must fully undo it to move the notch :doh:

Indexed plate itself has had the index set up added for doing a 6 set of bowls with in a bowl so far trying to do a bowl under 14 inches will not work with a setting of six.

Back of the base plate has had an unusual style of face plate added it works in the jaws of dovetail jawed chucks :2tsup:

Ozkaban
14th April 2010, 10:04 AM
Looks impressive, Ray.

Would you not be able to reduce the size of the inner bowls if you were turning 6 of them in a platter smallerthan 14"?

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
14th April 2010, 10:40 AM
Looks impressive, Ray.

Would you not be able to reduce the size of the inner bowls if you were turning 6 of them in a platter smallerthan 14"?

Cheers,
Dave

You could Dave but if you look at the photo's above those are approx 12" dia and the inner bowls approx 3" for the one with just 3 and 2 to 2/12" for the others.

unless your doing a blank thats 3" deep you'd end up with very little in the bowl. Good for dieters I guess or stingy people.:;

Edit Dave it all depends on the size you turn the inner bowls dia and depth which depends on the size of blank being used and choice of index

Ozkaban
14th April 2010, 11:02 AM
You could Dave but if you look at the photo's above those are approx 12" dia and the inner bowls approx 3" for the one with just 3 and 2 to 2/12" for the others.

unless your doing a blank thats 3" deep you'd end up with very little in the bowl. Good for dieters I guess or stingy people.:;

:D Fair enough Ray. Was just checking there wasn't some technical reason they can't go smaller. 14" makes sense.

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
14th April 2010, 11:18 AM
Here is an example Dave approx dia is 14" with 14 bowls x 2" dia

and 14"x 14 bowls by 3" dia

settings for indexed notches would be the same just size of bowls is different.

I haven't variefied if the index notches to the Jig, to the number bowls or set up for the pics below

wheelinround
14th April 2010, 07:54 PM
In regard to David's question re-limit of main bowl size with the dimensions for the drawing there are two concerns.

1 the centring holes radiating outwards will only allow a certain size of blank unless you don't mind a wide edge.

2 the counter weights required to balance it all

Here's a photo of additional weights Darrell has had to use

wheelinround
26th May 2010, 09:43 PM
I see today the Jig has made it into the Australian Woodsmith Issue 77

Along with it is a clock done by Darrell Smith :D guess who owns the clock was a Christmas Present from LOML.

wheelinround
8th June 2010, 12:28 PM
The need for some corrections and updates on the drawings were required, nothing major just to clear some confusion.
Plus some additional photo's as seen in previous posts above.

All being well it will be demonstrated at The Sydney Working with Wood Show.

Ray

wheelinround
18th June 2010, 09:44 PM
WOW ok so I miss-read how many have looked at this thread over 1200.

Day one at the TSWWS it drew many peoples attention, so thanks to all who came and saw it in action keeping Darrell flat out all day.

wheelinround
10th November 2010, 10:49 PM
Next phase :rolleyes: yes there is another step forward :U development is progression.

Ok so you have turned the platers multi-bowl and now considering where to next.

David has made up a 60 indexed plate to also go onto the jig (see photo) he prefers the 30 which he has also made.
Which when fitted along with your Rose Engine or OT lathe set up will now produce Ornamental turning on the Index bowl jig.

Photo of the 60 plate

and OT work produced on a platter.

Edwards
15th November 2010, 01:04 PM
OTGA & Blue Mountains member Darrell Smith created these platters/bowls with a very interesting indexed jig. Lathe used was H&F's WL-18

There will be more on the jig soon.

Interesting work Ray. I have not tried anything like it but the results look good.

Cheers
Edwards :)

Nai84
28th November 2010, 03:02 AM
Link, hmm well we'll see. I was cruising along not really paying any attention to where I was.

here you go I saved the pic
Cosmic Burst Pattern Bowl: Joshua Salesin hey hughie very nice bowl and well done. Hey WR WWW WWWOOOOOOWWW you have to teach me that oh wise one please :U Ian

wheelinround
28th November 2010, 10:17 AM
hey hughie very nice bowl and well done. Hey WR WWW WWWOOOOOOWWW you have to teach me that oh wise one please :U Ian

Ian when you come over I'll have Darrell teach the turning of the bowl and David and i cn teach you how to make the jig and hen Ornament the platter.

Other wise check out the attached PDF so you can make the Index Jig and ask questions.:U

Nai84
28th November 2010, 03:15 PM
Hey WR

How did you go with the cargo rates :U LOL well I will download the pdf and do some reading on the subject and that would be awsome to learn from you guys :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

wheelinround
28th November 2010, 03:28 PM
Hey WR

How did you go with the cargo rates :U LOL well I will download the pdf and do some reading on the subject and that would be awsome to learn from you guys :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

Car go rates well if you go by car enjoy the trip i have heard it takes about 3 days each way and this time of year Nullabor reaches 55C.

Ian the PDF is for the making of the Indexed Bowl Jig for serving bowls only. I have yet to do a write up for the double indexed set up to do the Ornamental plater. None of it covers making a Rose Engine or making the tools etc used to do the surface decoration. Don't let this put you off. Its a hoot making the stuff and the world over new ideas coming all the time.

http://www.pnc.com.au/%7Ek_j/otga/Images/Rose1.jpg

Nai84
28th November 2010, 03:40 PM
Hey WR

I sent you a pm I would never let anything put me of :2tsup:

Ian

wheelinround
28th November 2010, 04:14 PM
Pm & e-mail on way

Ian the Index Bowl Jig Or Off Centre jig puts the best of them off. I myself have not used it as yet but will be giving it a try one day.

Nai84
28th November 2010, 04:19 PM
Hey Ray

I have seen some videos of the off center chucks and they look very cool :2tsup: I still have a lot to learn from basic stuff but when I do reach my comfort zone I plan on taking on this stlye of turning it looks like fun:2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

wheelinround
28th November 2010, 04:29 PM
Hey Ray

I have seen some videos of the off center chucks and they look very cool :2tsup: I still have a lot to learn from basic stuff but when I do reach my comfort zone I plan on taking on this stlye of turning it looks like fun:2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

Off Centre is really a wrong term Ian but some call it that.

This jig really has you turning On Centre and the blank orbiting round it. Off Centre chucks are fun too.:2tsup:

Sturdee
28th November 2010, 04:38 PM
Hey Ray

Ian

I'm with you Ian, still have to learn a lot of basic stuff yet but will be looking into that in due course.

Peter.

Nai84
28th November 2010, 04:39 PM
Hey Ray

Well I will learn over time :doh: I got the file thanks gonna go and read it now and day dream about be at lathe turning :B

Ian

Nai84
29th November 2010, 09:53 PM
Hey Ray

I was wondering if you have any photos or take some of you using you jig :U like the ones in this thread but a bit more of a close up and while in action :; you and the other guys have gotten me all fired up about this ornamental turning :B PPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE :2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

wheelinround
29th November 2010, 10:23 PM
Hey Ray

I was wondering if you have any photos or take some of you using you jig :U like the ones in this thread but a bit more of a close up and while in action :; you and the other guys have gotten me all fired up about this ornamental turning :B PPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE :2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

Ian thats the meds your on :U

I have only one photo which was taken of initial club demo which does not show much at all. :no:

Nai84
29th November 2010, 10:45 PM
LOL would you like some Ray they are some good stuff :;:q ok thats cool no harn in asking but I am looking to learning how to do it I will have to find some around me that dose it :cool: then I might be able to get some lesson off of them :2tsup: I have do some surfin on the and OMG some the stuff out there is hell cool :cool:

Ian

wheelinround
29th November 2010, 10:53 PM
I have started a new thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/look-ornamental-turning-127654/#post1242059

Ps as for the meds no thanks been there done that never again I hope LOL

Nai84
29th November 2010, 11:09 PM
Hahaha are sure Ray LMAO ok I goona go and have a look at your link :cool:

Ian