PDA

View Full Version : woodworking hobby beginner disability Melbourne Northern suburbs

Ahmet Yahya
25th February 2010, 12:13 AM
Hi There,
I have just loined to WW forums.I have chronic fatique syndrom, so they say which stop me from working. I decided to take up woodworking as a hobby, can do small things but absolute beginner. I am hoping to find some more enthusiasts in northern Melbourne to share some skills.:?

tea lady
25th February 2010, 09:20 AM
Welcome.:cool: Lots of support here for whatever you want to do.:2tsup: Another idea might be to find a "Men's Shed" to join. Means you can access tools and know how before you shell out for your own tool collection.:cool: Looking forward to seeing your projects.:)

Ahmet Yahya
25th February 2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks Tea Lady,Men's Shed was a great idea !:2tsup: found one in LowerPlenty. I have completed a project, a pirates chest.:D:- I wanted it look rustic, so intentionally did not use any belt sander or plainer. I beleive it could have been much better. I value all criticism. You guys will get to see it when I found out how to upload pics.:?

tea lady
25th February 2010, 10:10 PM
:2tsup: Looks like you up loaded the pics OK! What a great chest.:U I'd better not show my son, because he will want one too. :doh::D

Ahmet Yahya
25th February 2010, 10:15 PM
What do you know I did it :D

Claw Hama
25th February 2010, 10:16 PM
Hi Ahmet and welcome, pirate chest looks great, one little trick if you want things to look rustic, use oil, mat or satin finish:;. Gloss is a little flash for rustic. Keep up the good work:U.

Ahmet Yahya
25th February 2010, 10:20 PM
:2tsup: Looks like you up loaded the pics OK! What a great chest.:U I'd better not show my son, because he will want one too. :doh::D
You are very kind:B. When I learn how to use belt sander, plainer and router I should be able to do better but I must buy them first:U

tea lady
25th February 2010, 10:22 PM
You are very kind:B. When I learn how to use belt sander, plainer and router I should be able to do better but I must buy them first:UThat's where the men's shed is supposed to come in.:D

(It just looks still wet from the ocean Claw.:D )

Ahmet Yahya
25th February 2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the tip Claw, but never used oil or wax before. I am just reading about them. Satin varnish was all I had.

Ahmet Yahya
25th February 2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the tip Claw, but never used oil or wax before. I am just reading about them. Satin varnish was all I had.
You ARE talking about my ears Claw aren't you being wet and all LOL:wink:

Claw Hama
25th February 2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Ahmet, it was Tea Lady saying that your pirate chest had just come out of the sea and so still looks wet. Oil is easy, pour some on a rag and whipe on, when its dry do it again, 2 coats is usualy enough. Danish oil is a good one to start with. Your pirate chest looks great anyway Ahmet.

Ahmet Yahya
25th February 2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Ahmet, it was Tea Lady saying that your pirate chest had just come out of the sea and so still looks wet. Oil is easy, pour some on a rag and whipe on, when its dry do it again, 2 coats is usualy enough. Danish oil is a good one to start with. Your pirate chest looks great anyway Ahmet.

Thanks Claw you are being kind, I was only joking. The varnis is Satin but the flash must have reflected of it making it looking like glossy and wet.

Ahmet Yahya
25th February 2010, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=Ahmet Yahya;1117674]Thanks Claw you are being kind, I was only joking. The varnis is Satin but the flash must have reflected of it making it looking like glossy and wet. Why is it that there are number of same messages of mine everywhere:~

wheelinround
26th February 2010, 08:56 AM
Chronic Fatiuge is a bummer rest when you need to, and work like the devil when it allows you.

Nice chest well done.

Ray

ps welcome to the forum :2tsup:

Ahmet Yahya
26th February 2010, 08:06 PM
Chronic Fatiuge is a bummer rest when you need to, and work like the devil when it allows you.

Nice chest well done.

Ray

ps welcome to the forum :2tsup:

Thanks Ray (Wheelinround) You know about CFS, my metabolism is so slow now that its having difficulty breaking down the food. I am enjoyingthis forum, wish I could find it earlier.:doh:

wheelinround
26th February 2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks Ray (Wheelinround) You know about CFS, my metabolism is so slow now that its having difficulty breaking down the food. I am enjoyingthis forum, wish I could find it earlier.:doh:

Yes suffered for a number of years I feel I have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel.

I guess it depends on your diet, I changed mine eat mostly fresh foods dropped coffee chocloate and a lot of other things. drink plenty of fluids, excersise when you can but don't wear yourself out.

Do a google on it many suffer differently and have different ideas.

Ray

Ahmet Yahya
27th February 2010, 01:25 PM
Yes suffered for a number of years I feel I have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel.

I guess it depends on your diet, I changed mine eat mostly fresh foods dropped coffee chocloate and a lot of other things. drink plenty of fluids, excersise when you can but don't wear yourself out.

Do a google on it many suffer differently and have different ideas.

Ray
I dont think I can or will see any improvement after all I am 54 y.o. but one should not give up hope.
Thanks for sharing it with me Ray.
Ahmet

tea lady
27th February 2010, 01:29 PM
I dont think I can or will see any improvement after all I am 54 y.o. but one should not give up hope.
Thanks for sharing it with me Ray.
AhmetCome on! Of course you will. You could take up marathon running at your age.:cool: (And as I say to everyone till they are sick of me saying it, tai chi is really good. :2tsup: )

Ahmet Yahya
27th February 2010, 01:53 PM
Come on! Of course you will. You could take up marathon running at your age.:cool: (And as I say to everyone till they are sick of me saying it, tai chi is really good. :2tsup: )

TAI CHI :oo::no: not patient enough

tea lady
27th February 2010, 05:41 PM
TAI CHI :oo::no: not patient enough

:rolleyes: The think with tai chi is that you feel better from when you start learning it. It may take years to learn one form, let alone all of them. (If anyone every does learn ALL of them. :doh:) Just the warm ups and stretching and stuff made me feel HEAPS better right from the first lesson. Actually, it is the difficulty of it that has kept me there. You never learn everything about it. always more to learn. If something is to easy I get bored. Anyway, its all about the journey. And it helps guard against Alzheimer's, cos you have so much to remember. Keeps the brain fit to.:cool:

I'll stop nagging now.:D

Ahmet Yahya
27th February 2010, 10:15 PM
:rolleyes: The think with tai chi is that you feel better from when you start learning it. It may take years to learn one form, let alone all of them. (If anyone every does learn ALL of them. :doh:) Just the warm ups and stretching and stuff made me feel HEAPS better right from the first lesson. Actually, it is the difficulty of it that has kept me there. You never learn everything about it. always more to learn. If something is to easy I get bored. Anyway, its all about the journey. And it helps guard against Alzheimer's, cos you have so much to remember. Keeps the brain fit to.:cool:

I'll stop nagging now.:D
The thing is that I really am nervous (restless) type. I combat this by playing chess.:2tsup:

tea lady
27th February 2010, 10:50 PM
The thing is that I really am nervous (restless) type. I combat this by playing chess.:2tsup::rolleyes: I'm not patient enough for chess.:D I've made a really bad chess board though. (It looks alright as long as you don't turn it over or have your glasses on. :doh: ) And I made 11 pawns for a chess set once. :C

Ahmet Yahya
27th February 2010, 11:14 PM
:rolleyes: I'm not patient enough for chess.:D I've made a really bad chess board though. (It looks alright as long as you don't turn it over or have your glasses on. :doh: ) And I made 11 pawns for a chess set once. :C
11 pawns for a set or 2 sets?:roflmao:

tea lady
28th February 2010, 12:53 AM
11 pawns for a set or 2 sets?:roflmao:I could only get 7 to look alike. :saddest: :p (Might be a bit better at it now. :rolleyes: )

artme
8th March 2010, 08:24 PM
G'day Ahmet!! I haven't been in this area for a while so I missed it until now.

Some years ago i was diagnosed with a condition similar to CFS - multiple fibro myalgia ( Ithink).

Doctor's prognosis was not good so I said "Stuff it" and proceeded to do what I could.. Walked every morning for 1/2 hour and not to many months later was right as rain.

Still have the depression and sometimes the Black Dog pays a visit, but on the whole I do OK.

Love your Piratical piece!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I take it you are of Turkish extraction??

Ahmet Yahya
8th March 2010, 09:42 PM
G'day Ahmet!! I haven't been in this area for a while so I missed it until now.

Some years ago i was diagnosed with a condition similar to CFS - multiple fibro myalgia ( Ithink).

Doctor's prognosis was not good so I said "Stuff it" and proceeded to do what I could.. Walked every morning for 1/2 hour and not to many months later was right as rain.

Still have the depression and sometimes the Black Dog pays a visit, but on the whole I do OK.

Love your Piratical piece!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I take it you are of Turkish extraction??

G,day Artme

You are right I am from Cyprus, Cypriot Turkish, been here 36 years. At least your doctors had a prognosis mine still scratching their heads. Its been two years now; physically I am a healthy !? man :? they say all te test are excellent but my metabolism is so much slowed that I find it very hard to eat meals cooked with oil. Anyway enough of that I am glad you liked my pirate chest i hope all the people saying that are not being polite cause it very encouraging for me.:yippy: