PDA

View Full Version : olive tree wood,root lumps

wasson
25th February 2010, 01:27 PM
I have pushed up several hundred olive trees with my tractor for anyone interested in trunks or the root balls/gnarls ..without being a turner myself I can see the potential in the root lumps as bowls etc...
Perhaps a couple of turned bowls for me as a swap is all thats required in return.

email with olive tree bowls in the subject line.

[email protected] for info...

tea lady
25th February 2010, 02:13 PM
:think: Little drive in order perhaps. I could bring a couple of one armed bandits.:D (Nah! Too far isn't it.:doh:

Frank&Earnest
25th February 2010, 04:03 PM
Wasson, pulling up an olive groove like that makes me think that it was only a tax minimisation scheme and the trees are still too small to be of any value. If they were at least 200mm diametre it might be worth your while to hire a small mobile sawmill to slab and stack the lot. There would be a few $000 in it.

Texian
25th February 2010, 04:46 PM
Sounds worth looking into for someone close. As usual am too damn far away.

wasson
25th February 2010, 04:50 PM
Quite a lot of the root balls are 10-12 inch in Dia so would make for (i imagine) a reasonable sized bowl or whatever turns your fancy :U

brendan stemp
25th February 2010, 08:42 PM
Well worth the effort. great stuff olive wood and the root balls would have lots of figure and colour. Come on you Melbourne turners, Seymour aint that far, what? 1 1/2 hrs drive? If you think it's too far you obviously haven't turned olive wood!

dai sensei
25th February 2010, 09:27 PM
Great offer WASSON :2tsup:

:think: Little drive in order perhaps. I could bring a couple of one armed bandits.:D (Nah! Too far isn't it.:doh:

Are you serious :oo: I'm almost thinking of flying down, hiring a car and picking some up :U

Well worth the effort. great stuff olive wood and the root balls would have lots of figure and colour. Come on you Melbourne turners, Seymour aint that far, what? 1 1/2 hrs drive? If you think it's too far you obviously haven't turned olive wood!

:whs:

corbs
25th February 2010, 09:55 PM
Wish the folks lived a little closer. They're up near Echuca and its probably a bit much of an ask for them to drive over:rolleyes:... there's a few plantations around their place though:wink:

Allan at Wallan
25th February 2010, 11:00 PM
Do not despair!

Email sent with a view toward me driving to Seymour and getting
a quantity. It would be my intention to distribute them to fellow
Forumites at future local turnfests and members of woodturning
clubs within my local vicinity.

Hopefully we can accommodate the request for a couple of bowls.:2tsup:

Will await contact from Gryphon.

Allan

joe greiner
25th February 2010, 11:38 PM
What they all said. Unfortunately, I don't have a boat.:-

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
25th February 2010, 11:44 PM
sigh....so much, so far away...anybody driving to Sydney? :U

Ed Reiss
26th February 2010, 12:26 AM
...once again my butts in the wrong part of the world (sigh) :C

wasson
26th February 2010, 06:32 AM
Members I am getting P/messages re these, i have included an email address for contact please...and Allan note the name is "Wasson"

Do not despair!

Email sent with a view toward me driving to Seymour and getting
a quantity. It would be my intention to distribute them to fellow
Forumites at future local turnfests and members of woodturning
clubs within my local vicinity.

Hopefully we can accommodate the request for a couple of bowls.:2tsup:

Will await contact from Gryphon.

Allan

TTIT
26th February 2010, 02:02 PM
I'd happily drive a couple of hours for a ute load of it, crikey!!!, we drive 3 hours just to see a doctor out here, but a couple of days drive is just a bit much :no:. Come on you Mexicans - only an hour from Melbourne - you must all have too much money to be ignoring free wood :shrug:

DJ’s Timber
26th February 2010, 02:07 PM
I'd happily drive a couple of hours for a ute load of it, crikey!!!, we drive 3 hours just to see a doctor out here, but a couple of days drive is just a bit much :no:. Come on you Mexicans - only an hour from Melbourne - you must all have too much money to be ignoring free wood :shrug:

Don't you worry Vern, I've sent a few emails now, but my main problem is I cannot get out there for a few weeks at least, due to convalescing here at home following my OP

TTIT
26th February 2010, 02:17 PM
So here's an idea for ya's - instead of just a forum gathering, what about a forum wood gathering. A few blokes (and TL), a few utes\trailers and chainsaws, a pick-a-nick lunch and you've got a top day out :2tsup: DJ can keep an eye on the esky :;

wheelinround
26th February 2010, 02:22 PM

I did last week Hughie right past there :~:doh:

Hum :rolleyes: young fellows wedding we went to I wonder he owes a favour or two.:U and he has to come se his mum every now and then.

NeilS
26th February 2010, 03:31 PM
Beautiful wood, but in my experience very prone to severe splitting during drying. I find I have to rough turn immediately it's cut to get any decent sized pieces out of it.

The root burls should be magnificent.

Go get it while it's at its best.

Allan at Wallan
26th February 2010, 08:41 PM
Response received from "Wasson" and unfortunately
my honorable intentions are deemed unsuitable.

The stacks of olive trees are near Yea, a trailer load
to any one person (even though it would be distributed
to many other turners) is not welcomed, and it appears
that more than "a couple of bowls" are wanted in return.

I am no longer interested in the deal - please feel free
to follow up on your own.

My apologies,

Allan

Eldanos of KDM
26th February 2010, 11:35 PM

Put me in too!!

Sturdee
27th February 2010, 02:47 AM
Response received from "Wasson" and unfortunately my honorable intentions are deemed unsuitable.

Allan

No need to apologize to us Allan, we know that you would have given them to us at various gatherings at no financial gain to you. Damn shame it fell through.

Peter.

PenTurner
27th February 2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks to John for loading me up today,:2tsup: made the trip from Ferntree Gully. John was quite good to me , he has a great love for nature and we had some good fellowship. :2tsup:Now to start getting the olive roots ready for turning. Amos:)

wasson
2nd March 2010, 11:35 AM
Response received from "Wasson" and unfortunately
my honorable intentions are deemed unsuitable.

The stacks of olive trees are near Yea, a trailer load
to any one person (even though it would be distributed
to many other turners) is not welcomed, and it appears
that more than "a couple of bowls" are wanted in return.

I am no longer interested in the deal - please feel free
to follow up on your own.

My apologies,

Allan

Allan at Wallan....with some reservation I reply to you that an email arriving from you ( a complete starnger) suggesting that you would take a trailer load doesn't establish your bona fides to me at all.....its as simple as that.

How am I to know that you weren't to set up a stall at Wallan market cashing them for yourself? Once bitten twice shy!

Now Amos approached me and we got on famously and he took home possibly 15 in number. No money exchanged,just friendship! Get over it Allan at Wallan

Frank&Earnest
2nd March 2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks to John for loading me up today,:2tsup: made the trip from Ferntree Gully. John was quite good to me , he has a great love for nature and we had some good fellowship. :2tsup:Now to start getting the olive roots ready for turning. Amos:)

Yep. Exactly the size I was expecting. Should be good for vases.:2tsup:Careful about the dirt though, roughing the bole with an ax/adze could save you some trouble.

Allan at Wallan
3rd March 2010, 06:55 PM
Allan at Wallan....with some reservation I reply to you that an email arriving from you ( a complete starnger) suggesting that you would take a trailer load doesn't establish your bona fides to me at all.....its as simple as that.

How am I to know that you weren't to set up a stall at Wallan market cashing them for yourself? Once bitten twice shy!

Now Amos approached me and we got on famously and he took home possibly 15 in number. No money exchanged,just friendship! Get over it Allan at Wallan

Not worth responding to.
I am known quite extensively within the forum fraternity
and the two woodworking/woodturning clubs that I belong to.
I enjoy a very good reputation and it will remain that way.
Your comment re Wallan Market is offensive.
End of story.

Allan

Calm
3rd March 2010, 08:33 PM

Wassoon i am astounded that you offer these root balls to forum members on this forum, then when one member (believing them to be located near where he lives) offers to collect and distribute for other members has his "bona fides" questioned.

A quick Members search would have found many threads/posts where Allan has contributed greatly to the forum community in a positive manner including distributing wood he has collected or been given for his own use.

Then you come on here and intimate that he "may" sell them, at the Wallan Market for his own benefit.

Maybe the idea of a Wallan market stall might appeal to someone who was "giving away" wood for a free bowl or two. I reckon if you gave enough away to different people and got a bowl or two for each lot you might have enough to open a market stall yourself.

Allan is a generous and valued member of this forum and welcome at all our events - to have his reputation tainted by comments like yours just gives a quick outline of what more to expect.

I think the one who needs to get over it is you wwaassoonn.

Once duped/ripped off/sucked in twice shy to you and your kind as well. :no::no:

Cheers

corbs
3rd March 2010, 08:56 PM
I think a few people might be getting a little too close to this one. Written communications are often misunderstood and I think this might be one of those situations. A new member has made a good offer to the forum and an old member has also made a good offer to disseminate on behalf. Would hate to see future offers like this held back because of what could have been a potential misunderstanding.

RETIRED
3rd March 2010, 09:14 PM
I will wait for a response by Wasson and then delete the posts that are off topic.

FWIW I can attest to Allans intentions as being as he said.

Eldanos of KDM
3rd March 2010, 11:09 PM
Well, It's been interesting reading if nothing else. Good show old chaps:2tsup:

Sturdee
4th March 2010, 01:05 PM
FWIW I can attest to Allans intentions as being as he said.

Having been a recipient of some of the wood Allan has previously collected I fully agree.

Peter.

nalmo
4th March 2010, 01:24 PM
I think wasson seems to have missed the whole point of this forum i.e. people help each other out, be it advice, opinions or in this case offering to collect wood for themselves as well as other members.

Not everyone is able to go out to collect offers like this on site. I have been both a beneficiary of wood from others as well as giving to members of the forum. I have found members of this forum to be amongst the most generous people I have ever met without expecting anything in return.

I'm sorry that wasson has not understood what this forum is all about, and I thank Allan and others who have made it what it is.

wasson
4th March 2010, 01:36 PM
Amos come any time,next time bring a trailer as after having met you I know that you are indeed a very honourable ....and nice fella! :)

A pleasure to have you here at my place.:)

The fella that has had an op and is in recovery mode (John S ?),bring a trailer,just the way you write a response or an email is enough for me mate! :)

The other fellas that rang and wanted some come and get `em,I will be pushing over 12-14 year old trees next, lots bigger root balls!

Corbs you are right on the money too with your interpretation of my answer..bring a trailer also.:2tsup:

Calm perhaps in another world or place i may have suggest that you CALM down eh! But I wont suggest that today...:B

And to your suggestion of A quick Members search well in answer to that I came onto the forum so as to give ,yes give away stuff that may be suitable for those that actually wood turn and not to trawl through members lists looking for suitable recipients.

You know there could be a dozen w/turners come into my place and who am I to know who they are or what they are about?

Just because one is a member of some internet forum doesn't mean a great deal unless that person is personally known....I may be giving away olive wood but you with your summation wouldn't know if I am guilty of biting the heads off Whippets would you!

As to my kind? Well i am the benevolent one here yet you take umbrage....G O I cobber.:no:

Eldanos of KDM
4th March 2010, 11:01 PM
I, speaking as an average member who didn't know or see posts from either Wasson or Allan before this thread, see both points of view here. And I think Wasson's intentions are as honourable as Allan's undoubtedly were.

Wasson, you wanted to do a god deed and distribute the olive evenly, and the suggestion of a marketplace made you think twice. Sure, you should have done your research on Allan, but hey, you didn't know your way around; being a new member and all. You tried and are delivering:)

Allan at Wallan, You just wanted to help fellow forumites out by distributing these as you had the means to do so. That's very cool:) But you were questioned. That's frustrating :(

I reckon I'd feel hard done by if I were in either man's shoes. Equally.

So on behalf of everyone here................

I'd like you to shake hands and say you're both sorry. And mean it :2tsup:

Dane

RETIRED
5th March 2010, 07:20 AM
I'd like you to shake hands and say you're both sorry. And mean it Ditto.

PenTurner
6th March 2010, 10:41 PM
Well, I know Allan and spoke a good word on his behalf, and now I know Wasson(John) and can speak a good word on his behalf. It really hurts deep down to see two good fellas- and I mean it- at odds. I think Allan, that Wasson has been had in the past and is a bit wary- as he said,- once bitten twice shy; -and John ,- Allan is a great bloke and has the same heart as yourself- wants to help others. Maybe if you can both try again, maybe pm each other and a phone call, and clarify matters.
Meanwhile, if I can get another chance I will come up again, however if others benefit and they are all gone, so be it--I am glad that many are benefited by your generosity. Meanwhile, after reading about the splitting-I have painted the ends to help reduces quick drying, in just 4 days I saw some start splitting??? Amos:)

Frank&Earnest
7th March 2010, 10:32 PM
Well, I know Allan and spoke a good word on his behalf, and now I know Wasson(John) and can speak a good word on his behalf. It really hurts deep down to see two good fellas- and I mean it- at odds. I think Allan, that Wasson has been had in the past and is a bit wary- as he said,- once bitten twice shy; -and John ,- Allan is a great bloke and has the same heart as yourself- wants to help others. Maybe if you can both try again, maybe pm each other and a phone call, and clarify matters.
Meanwhile, if I can get another chance I will come up again, however if others benefit and they are all gone, so be it--I am glad that many are benefited by your generosity. Meanwhile, after reading about the splitting-I have painted the ends to help reduces quick drying, in just 4 days I saw some start splitting??? Amos:)

Written communication between strangers is a bugger, isn't it? Been there, done that. :D

As regards seasoning olive: one little known thing about olive wood is that it is virtually non-igroscopic: it does not easily take/shed humidity. This means that cracks during seasoning are due to the natural stresses and sudden jumps in temperature. When correctly seasoned, the timber is virtually indeformable forever. The bad side is that this makes it useless in anything that requires flexibility. Turning it green only works if this process neutralises the internal stresses of the wood. Otherwise, it might crack afterwards anyway.

NeilS
8th March 2010, 07:38 PM
As regards seasoning olive: one little known thing about olive wood is that it is virtually non-igroscopic: it does not easily take/shed humidity. This means that cracks during seasoning are due to the natural stresses and sudden jumps in temperature. When correctly seasoned, the timber is virtually indeformable forever. The bad side is that this makes it useless in anything that requires flexibility. Turning it green only works if this process neutralises the internal stresses of the wood. Otherwise, it might crack afterwards anyway.

One little known fact, that I now know. Thanks, Frank.

Does this mean that all those huge old chunks of olive that you have stashed in your shed are going to split when you eventually turn them, no matter how long they sit there?....:C

Texian
9th March 2010, 02:19 AM
If you expect the rough turnings from green olive wood to have considerable internal stresses that will cause cracking, you might want to try the boiling protocol to relieve those stresses. There is a detailed article describing the process available (somewhere) on line. The rough turnings are simply boiled in water for a couple hours, followed by some additional steps to dry the work. I believe this works in somewhat the same way that steaming wood makes it soft and flexible for constructing "bentwood" furniture and the like. Someone here probably knows the link to the article, but if not give me a couple days to find it if you are interested.

Have only turned a couple of olive stoppers and never tried boiling roughouts. Just passing along what I have read.

Frank&Earnest
9th March 2010, 04:27 PM
One little known fact, that I now know. Thanks, Frank.

Does this mean that all those huge old chunks of olive that you have stashed in your shed are going to split when you eventually turn them, no matter how long they sit there?....:C

Hopefully, anything that had to happen to them has happened in 25 years of exposure to Australian summers. I would not exclude the possibility of an odd new crack appearing as a result of milling, but after that my bets are that they will never move again.

Frank&Earnest
9th March 2010, 04:38 PM
If you expect the rough turnings from green olive wood to have considerable internal stresses that will cause cracking, you might want to try the boiling protocol to relieve those stresses. There is a detailed article describing the process available (somewhere) on line. The rough turnings are simply boiled in water for a couple hours, followed by some additional steps to dry the work. I believe this works in somewhat the same way that steaming wood makes it soft and flexible for constructing "bentwood" furniture and the like. Someone here probably knows the link to the article, but if not give me a couple days to find it if you are interested.

Have only turned a couple of olive stoppers and never tried boiling roughouts. Just passing along what I have read.

Thanks Texian. Have never heard of the technique being applied to olive. Maybe it would work, but for the very reason mentioned I suspect it would be much less likely to work than in more hygroscopic timbers, where the water would impregnate the fibres and allow them to bend without splitting.

PenTurner
15th March 2010, 10:22 PM
Just made this one--
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/stretch-olivewood-114831/
Amos:)

PenTurner
20th March 2010, 10:36 PM
:2tsup:Just one more so you can see the possibiulkities of this wood, Amos:)
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/olivewood-root-emperor-rb-115082/

Frank&Earnest
20th March 2010, 10:54 PM
Great work, Amos, but, really, I would think that its possibilities extend much further than pens...:) Are the boles too small for anything else?

wasson
25th March 2010, 07:01 PM
Well a parcel arrived in my mail today and it was a selection of Amo`s work and I have to say that I consider his works as exquisite,absolutely beautiful and the presentation boxes are a real treat..not only am i know a friend i will be a customer also as i have some in mind for some special people in my world.

Amos,you are a true gentleman,I recognised that when we first met,thanks so much my friend,John G
:2tsup:

PenTurner
25th March 2010, 07:38 PM
John, the pleasure is all mine.:) Frank and Earnest, yes I need to "learn how to make a bowl or two or---, :oo:and by God's grace I will do so in the near future. Amos:)