PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit joiner question

Zed
8th September 2004, 01:09 PM
Hi there,

I ordered the Porter cable PC557 biscuit joiner from Bunnies (via MIK) for $585 and they tell me that MIK wont have them until November. while this is ok I can wait... they tell me that it is more expensive than I first thought.

The bunnies lady tells me that the Dewalt 682k is exactly the same machine as the Porter cable with different branding for $475. Does anybody know if this is true ? is the Dewalt a P.O.S and should I wait for the Porter Cable ?

Cheers all,

craigb
8th September 2004, 01:37 PM
I don't understand Zed. Why are Bunnies getting their tools from MIK and anyway why don't you just deal with MIK? :confused: :confused:

I don't think the DeWalt is a POS. Ask DarrylF, I believe he has one.

mat
8th September 2004, 01:45 PM
The portercable and dewalt machines are quite different. I have the dewalt machine and IMHO is a very good design and is of high quality. I believe at least some of the portercable models have a second smaller cutting blade for extra small biscuits and also have a more sophisticated fence for angle cuts.

Barry_White
8th September 2004, 01:51 PM
Carbatec have the Porter Cable Biscuit Jointer in their catalouge for $495.00

See the picture.

Slavo
8th September 2004, 02:36 PM
Toolies have the Makita 5901 (http://www.toolies.com.au/catalogue/ProductDetails.html?id=088381013345) and JustTools have the Bosch, DeWalt and Makita (http://www.justtools.com.au/category49_1.htm) FYI

Zed
8th September 2004, 02:43 PM
I have a voucher from Bunnies and they have a supply agreement with MIK - so instead of buying cr@p I thought Id sue the voucher wisely instead.

sounds like dewalt wins !

Prices are as follows :

Makita approx $600
Porter CAble $585
Dewalt $475.

mat
8th September 2004, 04:55 PM
Zed

Shop around to get a better price on the Dewalt (you should be able to find it around $460) and then make Bunnies give you another 10% off. I did this and got the machine for about $414

Tankstand
8th September 2004, 10:39 PM
Mate, Shop around!
I picked up the Porter Cable for $460 at the Adelaide wood show.
Fantastic machine, you should check out the FF biscuits (So cute!)

dereg
5th November 2004, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy a Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner? -I have tried MIK and Carbatec and both are out of stock and don't know when they will be getting new stock.
Prefer to buy in Melbourne but would buy interstate if need to,
regards
Dereg

Zed
5th November 2004, 06:25 PM
GET BUNNIES TO ORDER IT IN FROM MIK THEY HAVE A SUPLY CONTRACT = i DID BUT HAD TO W2AIT 1.5 MONTHS FOR IT TO ARRIVE. SHOW THEM THE CARBA TECH CATALOG FOR A PRICE MATCH. CHECK OUT ANOTHER THREAD WHERE i WENT INTO GREAT DETAIL DESCRIBIBNG THE PROCESS...

CHEERS

dereg
5th November 2004, 08:12 PM
thanks ZED - I have tried MIK and they don't know when they will have any so there not much use ordering through Bunnings.
I want to buy one now so if anyone could advise if they know who has stock I would be very appreciative
regards
Dereg

Whinging Pom
5th November 2004, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy a Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner? -I have tried MIK and Carbatec and both are out of stock and don't know when they will be getting new stock.
Prefer to buy in Melbourne but would buy interstate if need to,
regards
Dereg
I would suggest yo try Carba-Tec in Canberra I know we had the Portercable on the wall on Thursday.
Regards
Andy

dereg
11th November 2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks very much Whinging Pom - I ordered the Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner for $495 from Carbatec Canberra on Monday and it arrived in Melbourne yesterday (Wednesday). Excellent service.
Better than the Melbourne Tool supplier who quoted over $600 but said he would sell me his own second hand one for the same price I bought the new one for.
Dereg

MikeK
11th November 2004, 11:47 AM
Dumb question here but it's something I've wondered about.... Why wouldn't you just get a slot cutter for your router (cost of $50) instead of paying $500 for a Biscuit Joiner? I'm assuming a table mounted router with an appropriate fence and jig (optional) to ensure accuracy?

Regards,
Mike.

mat
11th November 2004, 12:44 PM
Mike

It is much faster to set up and much easier to get the slot exactly where you want it with a dedicated machine. It also allows for different sized biscuits to be used. Any router cutter that mimicks the blade of a dedicated machine would also have to be very large and very expensive. It would also require a variable speed router to bring the speed down.

As far as I know there is only one biscuit size (triton) available to suit the smaller cutters advertised for biscuit use in a router.

himzol
11th November 2004, 12:56 PM
Why wouldn't you just get a slot cutter for your router (cost of $50) instead of paying $500 for a Biscuit Joiner?

Mike,
They are not all $500, for example I have a GMC which doesn't have the greatest of reputations but suits my needs baught for the princely some of $119 (at the WWW show).

It just a lot easier than my old Triton setup.

Himzo.

journeyman Mick
11th November 2004, 01:21 PM
Mike,
with a router it's also not possible to place slots in the face of a board. Besides, it would mean having to get another router :eek: , 4 is enough (for now anyway :D )

Mick

MikeK
11th November 2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks Gents. I have seen the light and I now know that I need one :D

RETIRED
11th November 2004, 03:21 PM
Hallelujah!! :D

MikeK
11th November 2004, 03:25 PM

Should you have followed that up with a "praise the <bulletin> board" - oh, have I gone too far :eek: