PDA

View Full Version : Crissy's new lathe

crissy
27th February 2010, 11:21 AM
I know this has been going on for some time, but I do need some guidance.
Now I am trying to decide which lathe. My enquiries have brought me to the point where I am trying to decide between the Woodfast C1000 and the Woodfast M910. My main interest is in 'Bowl' work with an inclination towards larger sizes.
Both lathes are in a similar price range, but this is not realy important.
The M910 has the 2hp motor, electronic speed control, but does not have Rotating Headstock, outboard turning is posible with an additional toolrest set up.
The C1000 has 1.5hp motor, electronic speed control, plus a Rotating Headstock, it also includes an outboard toolrest.
I would very much appreciate some information, 'good or bad' on these machines, also If a Woodfast M910 / C1000 owner/user could report on their experience and warn me of pitfalls or hidden problems.
Suggestions of alternative lathes from owners would also be much appreciated. Please don't bother suggesting Vicmarc, my experience with that company has left me cold.

??? :doh:???

Manuka Jock
27th February 2010, 12:50 PM
The Teknatool Nova range ?
NOVA Product index page (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Alternative_Product%20Main%20Page.htm#Lathes)

I have a DVR XP , no complaints with it

NeilS
27th February 2010, 01:28 PM
I went with the C1000X. I do most of my faceplate turning outboard, regardless of the diameter. It can turn up to about 700mm diam. So far I turn bowls up to about 600mm on it. The1.5hp motor handles that OK.

There were a couple of minor issues with it. Have to go now, so I'll post more details later.

crissy
28th February 2010, 11:28 AM
NeilS,
Thanks for your reply and advice.

I am more inclined towards the C1000X because of the 'swivel head', but was concerned whether the 1.5hp motor was a bit underpowered for the lathe and what it is claimed to be capable of.

You seem to have covered those concerns. I am interested in the 'problems' (hitches) you experienced upon receipt of your 'new' lathe.

Would you expand on those and tell me how and by whom they were overcome and how long it took.

Another area I would appreciate your opinion on, is the volume of the noise from the operating lathe.
:doh: Regards, Crissy

brendan stemp
28th February 2010, 11:41 AM
For anyone interested in bowl turning a swivel head is a distinct advantage. I'd go down that road but have had no experience with the new Woodfast lathes except for a visual inspection and they look good.

orraloon
28th February 2010, 12:36 PM
Crissy,
The swivel head is what you will find most usefull in bowl turning. 1.5hp will do what you need.
Regards
John
Regards
John

Grumpy John
28th February 2010, 01:39 PM
More information here. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/help-please-112192/)

NeilS
1st March 2010, 11:53 PM
OK Crissy, as promised, here are my comments on the Woodfast C1000X

The following are niggles only, none would have changed my mind had I known about them in advance of purchasing the lathe. I'm still very happy with it after using it constantly for a couple of years now.

Larger blanks (over 19") can hit the long head stock locking pin (see arrow in 1st photo) if the the mounting side of the blank is not flat. This isn't an issue if using a chuck and faceplate ring, as that projects the blank away from the headstock. However, on larger blanks I use the old style faceplate as these are more secure than the smaller faceplate rings.
When I got my lathe home I found that the outboard tool post and rest sat just 1/4" below centre, yet the inboard tool post and rest were at a standard height below centre. I raised this with Woodfast and they replaced it promptly. I think the tool post had been swapped with one from another model during assembly at the factory
Although very sturdy and well made (I know they are made to last for forever), I personally don't like the locking levers on the tool posts. My preference is for the ratchet style lever on other makes. However, you may like them (see attached photo). I understand from Woodfast that the professional turners who buy their lathes do.
On one occasion I wanted to make sure that the lathe couldn't be turn on, so I unplugged it. Wasn't quite sure I had unplugged the the right cord so I tested to see if the lathe control on button was still working, yes. So, changed plugs. Still working. Kept doing this with various cords (I have a few) until I eventually realised that the lathe will operate briefly on the electricity stored in capacitors in the VS box after the electricity has been turned off at the wall. This may not be unique to this model/make, but was a feature that wasn't (or sufficiently) warned about.

You asked about the operating noise level. The C1000X has a beautifully quiet VS, drive and motor system that accelerates up to full speed in a gentle curve and decelerates in a similar way. A quiet fan in the VS box will run for a brief time after the lathe has stopped.

Had the C1000X not been an option what would I have bought. Pobably the Vicmarc VL175, but with its optional outboard rig, the price tag would have been almost twice that of the C1000X.

All the best with your decision.

crissy
2nd March 2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks !!!, NeilS,

You have explained clearly why i should get the C1000X.
I realy appreciate the trouble you have taken to help me out and the honesty you have shown.
I will order from Woodfast on Friday, but expect to have at least two weeks wait, (hardly bearable).
I have been too long without a lathe and am suffering 'withdrawalls'.

Crissy. :2tsup::D:U and for NeilS,:clap3: