PDA

View Full Version : chucks

oldiephred
27th February 2010, 11:24 AM
I am considering a new chuck and the only experience I have had is with the key type--- quite satisfactory. Some appear to prefer the two bar type. What are the feelings re: why one type might be better than the other? Personally I like the one hand operation of the key but remain open minded about it.
Appreciate your input.

Ed Reiss
27th February 2010, 12:46 PM
My 2 cents worth:
It seems like most every manufacturer of chucks these days are pushing the key type, which I don't have much experience with, having used the old type Nova and lately the tommy bar Oneway.
The difference between the Nova and Oneway is like night and day. The Nova has a 3 hole pattern around the rim making the tommy bar operation pretty awkward, plus you have to tighten a grub screw after to ensure that the jaws hold.
The Oneway, on the otherhand, has a 4 hole pattern around the rim making the tommy bar operation really easy, no grub screw to contend with, plus the jaws hold like a bulldog.

Manuka Jock
27th February 2010, 01:06 PM
Are any of the two bar / tommy bar chucks still available (new) ?

Ed Reiss
27th February 2010, 01:14 PM
Nova doesn't sell them anymore AFAIK, Jock ...check out Oneway:

Our Chucks (Talon, Oneway, Stronghold) (http://oneway.ca/chucks/index.htm)

turnerted
27th February 2010, 05:02 PM
I notice Vicmarc tommy bar type chucks are no longer listed in Carba-tec catalogue .
From my limited experience of using them I think they are fine for people who have three hands . I'll stick to my keyed chucks thanks .

Ted

Tornatus
27th February 2010, 07:36 PM
:iagree: I understand that Vicmarc have stopped producing the VM90 "tommy-bar" chucks, though some may still be available at discounted prices. I personally find the bars a PITA, and the only VM90 I own (because I got a considerable discount) is dedicated to my Cole/bowl jaws.

It is my experience that the T-bar/Allen key gives you much more control over the tightening process - but I often notice that people make the same mistake that they do with tightening Jacobs chucks: they only tighten one of the key points instead of both. Even with good quality scroll chucks like the Vicmarcs, you will find a little bit of take-up in the second keyhole, despite the first being tightened well. Tighten both for reliable gripping.

Tony Morton
27th February 2010, 08:02 PM
A well tuned tommy bar chuck will out tighten a t bar anyday and yo dont have to fiddle round with tightening three holes and locking with allan key. For initail tightening its fingers only then when aligned insert the bar and tighten most of the time i only use one bar and push against the blank to tighten.

Cheers Tony

Tim the Timber Turner
27th February 2010, 08:55 PM
A well tuned tommy bar chuck will out tighten a t bar anyday and yo dont have to fiddle round with tightening three holes and locking with allan key. For initail tightening its fingers only then when aligned insert the bar and tighten most of the time i only use one bar and push against the blank to tighten.

Cheers Tony

Sorry Tony, I don't agree with that statement about tommy bars.

Much more torque avaliable with the gearing of a T bar Chuck.

Unless of course you are using 300mm long tommy bars.

Cheers

Tim:)

artme
27th February 2010, 09:16 PM
I have one of each chuch. The Tommy bar type is much more compact and lighter than the keyed type and therefore doesn't put so much stress on the bearings of the mini lathe.

Other than that the Keyed type is a superior chuck.
The new Vicmarc type is a beauty. It can be tghtened with one hand well enough to grip a job before final key tightening is done.

DavidG
27th February 2010, 09:29 PM
Tommy bar if you have a good spindle lock.
Key if not.

I have both and the tommy bar one is faster as I lock the shaft and spin by hand. Bar for final pinch up.

Tommy bar ones (vicmark) have a larger range of movement.

Different people will swear by one or the other but it depends on your own circumstance and preference.

Texian
28th February 2010, 03:17 AM
It does seem that everyone's favorite is what they are accustomed to using. Like Ted, I don't have enough hands to use a chuck with tommy bars, but obviously this is not a problem for those who use them. Mine use a T hex key, and I do tighten alternately between the two "keyholes" until I get the right "feeling of tightness". Must be a better way to say that than "feeling of tightness". Resistance torque?

Ozkaban
28th February 2010, 08:47 AM
I have an original super nova chuck that came with the vicmarc lathe I bought. It is a far sup[erior unit to the old hare and forbes chuck I had and both are tommy bars.

I have to say that I really don't mind the tommy bar chucks, they are quite quick to use. Having a spindle lock on the vicmarc make for a huge leap forward in usability though. My old lathe didn't have it and the chuck was a right PITA to use.

If I was buying a new chuck now, I'd probably get the key type (VM100 or VM120), but I would certainly keep the super nova floating about as it's dead useful.

Cheers,
Dave

oldiephred
28th February 2010, 09:40 AM
Very much appreciate the input all:2tsup:

Manuka Jock
28th February 2010, 10:28 AM
Nova doesn't sell them anymore AFAIK, Jock ...check out Oneway:

Our Chucks (Talon, Oneway, Stronghold) (http://oneway.ca/chucks/index.htm)

I know that Teknatool doesn't .
A glance at the web-page , that the link leads to shows that .
Me question was about other manufacturers :U

Thanks for the link Ed :2tsup:

Tony Morton
28th February 2010, 03:38 PM
I find the key chucks the most frustrating piece of machinery I have it takes 23 half twists from min to max diameter, mine is dedicated to soft jaws or long nose jaws for boring pen blanks where adjustment of less than 1mm is needed. The tommy bar vicmac 90 and 120 are used for all else I dont use spindle lock just spin up finger tight true up then holding blank with one hand use 1 tommy bar to tighten the chuck seldom have to use the second bar, thats my idea and I'm sticking with it.

Cheers Tony