PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys make with a lathe

Strungout
28th February 2010, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I was just curious to what type of "odd" things you guys make on a lathe.

I know that pens ,bowls,pepper and salt shakers are some of the things but what else.

Cheers

Greg

wheelinround
28th February 2010, 05:02 PM
Many of us make mistakes which turn into firewood

The possibilities are only limited by your imagination, tools unless you expand or make them size of your lathe and budget.

RETIRED
28th February 2010, 05:27 PM
Just little things.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/small-turning-52595/

Ross
28th February 2010, 05:57 PM
Posts and table legs, lace bobbins, round table tops, feet for sewing baskets/boxes, xmas decorations, anything that is or can be made round.

Greg are you thinking of giving it a go?

Ross

Strungout
28th February 2010, 06:45 PM
Just little things.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/small-turning-52595/

That looks like you would need a bloody big pocket to put that Pen in !

Ross,

I would love to get into it,but at at the moment I wouldn't have the time BUT who knows down the track:;

I was really just interested in what kind of things that you guys make .

BobL
28th February 2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=92184&stc=1&d=1230037640
As you can see I use my little woodwork lathe mainly for tool handles. And the metal work lathe at work to make bits and pieces for my woodworking lathe.
And just to add some confusion some of the tool blades participate in making their own handles.

Rookie
28th February 2010, 08:04 PM
P........... anything that is or can be made round.

Or, anything that can be made out of things round Greg. Ken Wraight (http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/files/Proserpine_Turnout_2004_031.jpg) does.

artme
28th February 2010, 08:29 PM
Whatever comes to mind that needs to be rownd, including extendable boy frighteners.:D:D

I know Bobl Is a very clever bloke, but I don't believe - and neither should you - that he made that there guitar on a lathe:no::no::no:

BobL
28th February 2010, 08:46 PM
Whatever comes to mind that needs to be rownd, including extendable boy frighteners.:D:D

I know Bobl Is a very clever bloke, but I don't believe - and neither should you - that he made that there guitar on a lathe:no::no::no:

I did turn some string pins out of gidgee with the lathe but ended up not using them!

I also turned the handles for the tools in the luthiers hand tool kit.

wheelinround
28th February 2010, 08:58 PM
Strungout check out my Blog link at the bottom

Sawdust Maker
28th February 2010, 09:32 PM
Piles and piles of wood shavings, curlies and the like :U

Harry72
28th February 2010, 11:58 PM
Whatever comes to mind that needs to be rownd,How about modifying plumbing fittings... so they fit:)
Polishing stuff, they make a great buffing machine.

robo hippy
1st March 2010, 04:25 AM
Besides bowls, I make some rolling pins, garden dibbles, spurtles, threaded and friction fit boxes, handles, yo-yos, chop sticks, some larger cannisters, and have been making a bunch of spheres lately. Just about anything for an excuse to go out to the lathe. I did a pattern out of MDF for a cast concrete/fire brick stove that is being sent to 3rd world countries, will do a few base ball bats shortly, some table legs, croquette mallets, weed pots, spinning tops, and other things I can't remember. Only turned 1 pen.

robo hippy

Allen Neighbors
1st March 2010, 04:39 AM
Coffee Scoops, Biscuit Cutters, Ring Keepers, Icing Spreaders, Rolling Pins, Etuis, Toothpick Holders, lidded Boxes, Ort Bowls, Darning Dollies... stuff like that. :D

Etui - Needle Case. Pronounced A-twee (long A). When asked what it is, I say, "A twee... it comes from a twee."

RETIRED
1st March 2010, 07:37 AM
Coffee Scoops, Biscuit Cutters, Ring Keepers, Icing Spreaders, Rolling Pins, Etuis, Toothpick Holders, lidded Boxes, Ort Bowls, Darning Dollies... stuff like that. :D

Etui - Needle Case. Pronounced A-twee (long A). When asked what it is, I say, "A twee... it comes from a twee."This one has me intrigued.:?

TTIT
1st March 2010, 08:51 AM
This one has me intrigued.:?Ort-a do the trick :shrug:

Allen Neighbors
1st March 2010, 11:07 AM
This one has me intrigued.:?
An "ort" is a scrap of food. Little bowls, 2.5-3.5 inches dia, are used by a lot of seamstresses to put little scraps of thread and cloth in... sort of a mini waste basket... er... bowl. :D

RETIRED
1st March 2010, 12:37 PM
Thank you for explaining that.

An ort is something different here and I was wondering how it would fit in.:rolleyes:

Texian
1st March 2010, 12:55 PM
A place to keep your ort to avoid losing it, of course.

Like Nick, mulch for the garden, flower beds, and compost pile. Good to add a bit of nitrogen fertilizer to aid decomposition. Except walnut shavings which contain juglone which is a natural herbicide. Those go to the burn pile.

And sometimes round stuff too.

Allen Neighbors
2nd March 2010, 12:44 AM
Thank you for explaining that.

An ort is something different here and I was wondering how it would fit in.:rolleyes:
Now I'm intrigued........ I'm always thirsty for more Oz linguistics... My favorite book, that I read in every time we're in our travel trailer and time allows, is a National Geographic Society book titled "Australia". :2tsup:
Educate me, . (PM, if necessary, please). :rolleyes:

RETIRED
2nd March 2010, 06:10 AM
When I was growing up (according to some, I still am) ort was a slang term for your butt.
The saying was generally "shove it up your ort sport."

Allen Neighbors
2nd March 2010, 08:16 AM
Ta ... now I know. Well, it'd have to be a small ort to fit in these bowls...:D
They were used many years ago, during a dinner with several sitting around the table. The ort bowl was to put in small bits of gristle or bone, or such, when you were eating, so you didn't have to put them back on your plate. Now we just spit 'em on the floor.... just kidding... now we just spit 'em into a paper napkin.